School Library System
September 19, 2014
A Note From Jen & Jane
When filling out your BEDS reports, please include the resources provided to your students through NOVELny and the School Library System.
- Provided by NOVELny = 11
- Provided by the School Library System = 3
- Rosen Spotlight on New York = 14
- Rosen Spotlight on Ancient Civilization = 18
- ASCD Professional Development = 39
- OverDrive = 2057
480 Non-book Materials:
- OverDrive audiobooks = 480
Last Call for the OPALS Users Group Meeting
- OPALS' new interface
- Soon to be released updates
- RDA formatting
- Much more
Lunch will be provided. To register, visit MyLearningPlan.
AASL Awards & Grants
- Volunteer Application - you and your students can receive extra perks by volunteering the day of TeenReaderCon
- Registration - please encourage your students to register so we have an idea of how many teens will be attending (there will be free stuff for the first 400 teens)
- Handouts - flyers and bookmarks to promote TRC with your students (contact Jen if you want us to print the flyers in color for you)
Looking for a way to bring your students? Contact Jen to learn more about reimbursement for your district to provide bus transportation.
Spotlight on New York
Netflix & Schools
SSL Spring Conference - Call for Proposals
The 2015 New York Library Association SSL Spring Conference is now accepting proposals for presentations. Technology use/tools should be embedded in one of the strands, not as a stand alone session.
Find the online application: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1qBzGP22ablaZ6ql2OLiDH75JcgZiuL0TbNebXqEmgx4/viewform?usp=send_form
The RFP will close on December 1.
For more information about the conference, please visit: www.slmsseny.org.
John Brock shared information about this professional development opportunity offered by the Colorado State Library:
We invite you to attend our next CSL in Session: It's Elementary, My Dear Watson: Sharing Evidence of your School Librarian Awesomeness! - Wednesday September 24, 2012 from 3:30 - 4:30 PM (Mountain Daylight Time)
- How do you provide concrete, measurable evidence for abstract concepts like leadership and instructional best practice?
- How can you provide this kind of evidence without adding to an already jam-packed workload?
- Why is it so important that school librarians do this?
Attendees at this session will learn practical answers to these questions and more. You will walk away knowing how and why to prove your awesomeness!
The session will be offered via Adobe Connect. You can access the classroom via the CSL in Session website listed below. No registration is necessary!