World geography review
Answers to the review
- Provide an example showing how physical geography can affect a country's economic activities.
- Why people depend on summer monsoons in Southeast Asia each year?
- Why (NAFTA) and the European Union (E.U.) formed?
- The Arab Spring. Where it started?. When?
- Colombian exchange
- Green revolution
- Political key terms
- Urbanization: population shift from rural to urban areas.
- Subsistence farming: self sufficiency farming in which the farmers focus on growing enough food to feed themselves and their family.
- Stateless nation: an ethnic group, religious group or other group which does not have majority population.
- Globalization: process of integration among the people, companies, and governments of different nations.
- Cultural diffusion: spread of cultural items such as ideas, styles, religions, technologies, and languages.
- Outsourcing: includes both foreign and domestic contracting and sometimes includes offshoring relocating businesses.
- Commercial farming: crops are grown and animals are reared for sale in the market for commercial purposes.
Basic Political Principles
- Mixed- mixture of public and privately owned businesses.
- Command- completely controlled by the central government.
- Market- total freedom with business owners to set prices, create products.
- Traditional- government provides most of the important public services but still permits private ownership of some businesses.
- Theocracy: a government in which people believe in God as their ruler.
- Democracy: a government in which the people vote for the leader directly or vote for elected representatives who the vote for the leader.
- Totalitarian: a government in which there is a centralized control by an autocratic authority.
- Primary: fishing, farming, forestry, mining.
- Secondary: processing, manufacturing.
- Tertiary: transportation, retailing (e.g. Cashier), maintenance, etc.
- Quaternary: education research, engineering, IT specialist, etc.