Murphy Middle School
eNews - September 3, 2015
Murphy Middle School Events - September
No School - Monday, September 7
Fall Open House - Tuesday, September 8 from 6:00 - 8:00
General PTA Meeting - Thursday, September 17 at 6:30 in the cafeteria
"True Grit" Parent Program - Thursday, September 17 at 7:00 in the cafeteria
Fall Picture Day - Wednesday, September 30
Athletic Events - September
Please join the PE department in celebrating the start of the NFL season on Thursday, September 10 by wearing an NFL jersey. Coach Cravens will be supporting Pittsburgh, Coach Evans will be supporting Dallas, Coach Ragsdale will be supporting Denver, and Coach Vaught will be supporting Baltimore.
Next week the 8th grade football team will kickoff their season playing Carpenter at Clark stadium. The first game starts at 5:30. The 7th grade volleyball team will play at home on Thursday against Otto with the first game starting at 6:00. Cost for tickets is $2 for students and $4 for adults. Please help out our ticket takers by bringing small bills.
7th Grade Volleyball
Thursday, 9/3 vs. All East-Side Middle Schools at PSA - 5:30
Thursday, 9/10 vs. Otto at Murphy - 6:00 & 6:45
Thursday, 9/17 vs. Carpenter at Carpenter - 6:00 & 6:45
Thursday, 9/24 vs. Renner at Renner - 6:00 & 6:45
8th Grade Volleyball
Wednesday, 9/2 vs. Rice at Rice - 6:00 & 6:45
Wednesday, 9/9 vs. Otto at Otto - 6:00 & 6:45
Wednesday, 9/16 vs. Carpenter at Murphy - 6:00 & 6:45
Monday, 9/21 vs. Renner at Murphy - 6:00 & 6:45
Monday, 9/28 vs. Schimelpfenig at Schimelpfenig - 6:00 & 6:45
7th Grade Football
Wednesday, 9/16 vs. Wilson at Wilson - 4:00
Monday, 9/21 vs. Armstrong at Clark Central - 5:30 & 7:00
Monday, 9/28 vs. Schimelpfenig at Clark West - 5:30 & 7:00
8th Grade Football
Wednesday, 9/9 vs. Carpenter at Clark - 5:30 & 7:00
Tuesday, 9/15 vs. Hendrick at Williams - 5:30 & 7:00
Tuesday, 9/22 vs. Armstrong at Clark Central - 5:30 & 7:00
Apply for an officer's position in Murphy Middle School's Student Council
Murphy MATHCOUNTS Math Club will begin regular meetings after school, September 15, 2015. We will meet every Tuesday after school from 3:35 – 4:30 in J105. More information about MATHCOUNTS National Math Club and its competition can be found on the website: http://www.mathcounts.org/about/mathcounts-overview
Career Day at MMS
WE’RE GOING PLACES!
COME HELP OUR MAVERICKS FIND THE TRAIL TO FULFILLING THEIR DREAMS! MURPHY MIDDLE SCHOOL IS LOOKING FOR “WRANGLERS” WITH EXCITING CAREERS TO SHARE THEIR TRAIL BLAZING JOURNEY TO SUCCESS.
MURPHY MIDDLE SCHOOL ANNUAL SIXTH - EIGHTH GRADE CAREER DAY
Friday Oct 16, 2015
8:15 AM - 3:30 PM
MMS Counseling Department is seeking guest speakers for our Eighth Grade Career Day. We have openings for half day and full day speakers. Presentations should last 45 minutes. While at Murphy, we hope you will join us for a continental breakfast and catered luncheon to show our appreciation.
Please contact Sylvia Lansing at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in sharing your career with our wonderful students.
Would you describe yourself as curious? Have you ever spent hours on the Internet reading about a single topic? Do people say you know way too much about historical events? Do you love to show off what can do, and share what you know? Are you a history fan? Do you REALLY love Social Studies? If any of this describes you please come to the History Fair Information Meeting in Ms.McAnderson's room E105 on Tuesday, Sept. 15 at 8:00 a.m. before school.
Speech & Theatre News
Speech/Theatre Competition meeting for students on Thursday, September 3rd in D106 from 3:45-4:30. Anyone interested in joining the team is welcome to come!
If you are interested in auditioning for the fall musical, please come to a meeting Tuesday, September 8th in D106 from 3:45-4:30. We will go over the audition process & what you need to prepare.
Musical auditions are September 14th, 15th, 17th, & 18th in the cafeteria after school.
Looking for Plano East Spirit Wear?
Visit the Golden Girls online spirit store for all your East spirit wear needs, open 24/7!
Plano ISD InfoCenter
Plano ISD has implemented InfoCenter, allowing you to better control how you receive communications from your school or district. The following is a guide to help you get started.
What is InfoCenter?: InfoCenter provides access to all the messages and information sent by your organization. Accessible from any internet-enabled device, InfoCenter visually displays and organizes alerts, notifications, and attachments for easy review and reference. InfoCenter also allows you to customize how you receive communications from PISD (campus and district).
How do I sign up for InfoCenter?: Signing up for InfoCenter is easy. Using the email address that you have on file for your district (emergency card), follow these three steps:
1. Download the InfoCenter by SchoolMessenger app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Market. You can also access the InfoCenter web portal at https://infocenter.schoolmessenger.com/
2. Click the “New User” button, enter your email address, and create a password. An email will be sent to that address with a secure token. Note: If you receive an “already claimed by another user account” error message that means you’ve already created a SchoolMessenger account via another SchoolMessenger product, such as Contact Manager. Simply follow the “Return to login” link and login. Use the “Forgot your password” link if needed.
3. After authenticating via the token sent to your email, return to InfoCenter and sign in using your email and password.
What’s in InfoCenter?:Once you’ve created your account, the records associated with your email address will be linked automatically. You can then:
- View the records associated with your account.
- Review the last 30 days worth of messages for all your associated records.
- View your contact information, and configure how you’d like to receive notifications.
Important Things to Know:
- Regardless of how you choose to receive notifications, all messages associated with your records will be retained in the InfoCenter inbox for 30 days.
- You can opt into receiving Device Notifications (Push) under Notification Preferences. When choosing to receive Device Notifications, a badge or alert will appear when you receive new communications from Plano ISD.
Our provider, SchoolMessenger, makes the security and privacy of your data a top priority. As one of over 100 approved signatories to Student Privacy Pledge, you can feel ensured that your student’s information is safe and will never be sold, rented or shared.
PTA News & Updates
September 3 - Coffee with the Principal - 9:00 in DLR
September 8 - PTA Board Meeting - 9:00
September 17 - PTA General Meeting 6:30 in Cafeteria
September 17 - Parent Program ‘True Grit’ 7:00 in Cafeteria
Log on to MMSPTA.org to see the latest information on all the exciting things we’ll be doing at Murphy Middle School this year! We’ll make sure you have the latest information on joining the PTA, Spirit Wear for sale, bus route information, Reflections information, PTA Programs & Socials and volunteer opportunities. Make sure you check our website regularly for the newest information! www.mmspta.org
Click the QR code on the right to get started!
** PLEASE NOTE that we are requesting every MMS family to enter their information so we can communicate important school news throughout the school year. We are going paperless and this is your way to stay connected with things going on at MMS. Creating a log-in does not automatically sign you up for PTA Membership nor does it mean you will be required to volunteer.
PTA Parent Program
Mark your calendar for September 17th's FREE Parent Program - ‘True Grit’. MMS PTA proudly presents ground breaking educator Caroline Miller in the fields of empowerment, grit, change, well-being and the science of goal accomplishment.
Quote attributed to Angela Duckworth - a pioneer in the study of developing grit in students.
Follow MMS on Social Media!
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
https://twitter.com/mmspta and @MMSPrincipal1
Check Us Out on Instagram
We Love Our Murphy Middle Volunteers!
CALLING ALL Murphy Middle School adult volunteers: Do you love books? Do your kids love books? The MMS book fair starts this week and is going on through Friday Sept. 11 and we need lots of volunteers to make it successful for the school and students. To sign up, go to http://mmspta.org/ and click on the "Click Here to Get Started" button. After signing in, click on "MMS 2015 Book Fair" and select a spot (or more) to volunteer. Please consider signing up for at least one spot to help raise funds that will go to the library to help purchase new books. PLEASE DON’T FORGET to become an approved PISD Volunteer. All Plano ISD Volunteers must apply and be approved by PISD in order to volunteer on campus. Applications must be submitted after July 1st of every year. Please be sure to mark your campus(es) of choice by selecting the schools where you plan to volunteer. This very short application process is online only at www.pisd.edu/volunteer . We look forward to seeing you in our hallways this year!
Want To Earn Extra Money For PTA?
- Please don’t forget to turn in your Box Tops to the front office. We know you have been saving all summer!
If you have a Target Red Card please take the time to link
Your card to MMS it is free money for the school!!!!!
Kroger Community Rewards
Do you shop at Kroger? Did you know as you shop you can help the Murphy Middle School PTA? There are 2 easy ways to link your Kroger Shopping Card:
INSTRUCTIONS FOR KROGER COMMUNITY REWARDS SUPPORTERS:
· All supporters must have a registered Kroger Plus card account online to be able to link their card to an organization.
· If you do not have a Kroger Plus Card, you can obtain a digital Kroger Plus Card when creating an account online or at any Kroger store.
Link your card at www.KrogerCommunityRewards.com.
· If you have an existing account, click on “Sign In”, otherwise click on “Create an Account”.
· If you are a new online customer:
· You will need to enter your email address, create a password, enter your zip code, click on favorite store, and agree to the terms and conditions.
· Once you are done entering your information you will get a message asking you to check your e-mail inbox and click on the link within the body of the e-mail that was sent to activate your Kroger account.
· Already have a Kroger.com account?
· Enter your email address and password and click on “Sign In”.
· Click on Community then on Community Rewards” then click on enroll now, complete personal information, click on save.
· Enter your organization’s number or name and then click on “Search”.
· Select your organization and click on “Save”.
· To verify that you enrolled correctly, you will see your organizations name on the right side of your account settings page.
· Once you are linked, you can start earning rewards immediately toward the organization you are supporting. (Note: The message saying that you are supporting an organization through the Kroger Community Rewards program will start printing on your receipt about 10 business days after you linked your card.)
Remember, you must swipe your registered Kroger plus Card or use your Alt ID when shopping for each eligible purchase to count.
You must link your card every year, starting August 1st, to support the organization of your choice.
New Spirit Wear Items This Year!
Please remember our generous sponsors when shopping around for services or supplies!!
For more Murphy information, please visit the Murphy web page:
For Murphy PTA news: http://www.mmspta.org
To unsubscribe from Murphy eNews or change your email address, please go to: http://elist.pisd.edu/
If you are getting eNews because you use Parent Portal, please go to: https://parentviewer.pisd.edu/ to revise your subscription.