Aircraft and avionics equipment mechanics and technicians work in hangars, in repair stations, or on airfields. They often must meet strict deadlines to maintain flight schedules. The environment can be loud because of aircraft engines and equipment. Workers frequently bend, stoop, and reach from ladders and scaffolds. Most mechanics and technicians work full time overtime and weekend work is common.
Preparation and / or training
5 important skills and abilities
- Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
Recommended core classes and electives
2. 9th Career Path Courses
3. 11th Core Academic Courses
4. 11th Career Path Courses