Are Polar Bears Polar Wearing Off?
What is this earth phenomenon doing to the Polar Bears?
What is climate change?
What is climate change doing to our Earth?
- In specific to Polar bears, climate change is melting glaciers and ice caps, which will cause more dramatic droughts in the future.
- In contrast to droughts, rising sea levels will cause coastal flooding, which will effect those on the Eastern Seaboard.
- Heavy downpours, heat waves, and increased flooding will damage not only agriculture, but forests, farms, and cities.
- Due to increased heat, and pollution, many animals and plant species are facing extinction, which will create problems for humans.
- Heat-born illnesses will spread more rapidly, and diseased insects that would normally die off in cold weather, will live.
All about Polar bears
Since you were a little kid you have known polar bears to be big, white bears. How would you feel if I told you that their fur isn't white, but in fact holds no color? Their fur appears to be white due to the suns visible reflection off the transparent fur. Polar bears "white fur" is a helpful advantage to these large mammals, and make hunting for prey easier. Their primary source of prey is the ringed seal, and when supply of these seals are good, they only eat the fat, and leave the meat entirely. The ringed seal only comes up for air every 5-15 minutes, which makes polar bears very patient waiters. Polar bears also eat vegetation, geese, bird eggs, and on occasion, a small mammal.
Polar bears tend to live in the circumpolar north regions. 60% of their population live in Canada, while the rest harbor in Greenland, Russia, and Norway. Now you may think it's the polar bears fat that locks in heat, and although they have up to 4.5 inches of fat, it's actually their thick fur coat that prevents nearly any heat loss. This comes in handy when you live in cold regions such as polar bears.
How is climate change effecting Polar bears?
As it is known, polar bears rely on their ringed seal prey as a primary food source. Due to the earths increasing warmth, arctic sea ice is melting, which is essential for the lives of polar bears, and its prey. For polar bears, this increasing warmth will affect their food sources, which will follow in cannibalism and lower cub rates. There will also be an increase in drowning due to the absence of sea ice that they would usually rest on. It's predicted that polar bears could suffer extinction within this century if humans don't act on this soon.
Polar bears are facing extinction in the near future if something isn't done about the increasing amount of greenhouse gases being released. If you're looking to take a stand, and help the polar bears, click here: http://salsa4.salsalabs.com/o/51114/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=15425&okay=true&_ga=1.85171484.407967652.1463442066
If you're looking for a more intense challenge, click here: http://salsa4.salsalabs.com/o/51114/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=15425&okay=true&_ga=1.85171484.407967652.1463442066