News from the Nest
May 12 & 19, 2023
The Weeks Ahead
Monday, 5/15 (Day 2)
-Election Day / Teacher In-Service - No School for Students
Wednesday, 5/17 (Day 3)
-Kindergarten Field Trip 9:00 AM -12:00 PM
Thursday, 5/18 (Day 4)
-Service Hawk Meeting 8:00 AM -8:30 AM 4th Grade pod
-Kindergarten Field Trip 9:00 AM -12:00 PM
Friday, 5/19 (Day 1)
-VF Spirit Day - VF Spirit Wear or Blue/Gold
Monday, 5/22 (Day 2)
-Instrumental Music Demo - Grades 3,4 2:15 PM -2:45 PM All-Purpose Room
Tuesday, 5/23 (Day 3)
Wednesday, 5/24 (Day 4)
Thursday, 5/25 (Day 1)
Friday, 5/26 (Day 2)
-Field Day Rain Date
Volunteer for Field Day
There is only one more week until Field Day at Vernfield! Our annual field day will take place next Friday, May 19 (with a rain date of Friday, May 26).
Many of you have already completed the google.doc to sign up to volunteer for the day. As with anything, it’s never too late…..to sign up for this fun day. It is an all day event and the more volunteers we have to help, the more enjoyable the day is.
If you would like to lend a hand for the day, click the link below and complete the google.doc. If you have already filled out the form, there’s no need for you to fill it out a second time.
Here’s the link to volunteer:
If you have any concerns or questions, don’t hesitate to contact me.
Thank you again for all you do for our school and community!
Final Pod Parent Volunteer Opportunity for the Year
Vernfield Home & School is looking for parent volunteers to participate in the Pod Parents program that will be available on Wednesday, 5/17 and Thursday, 5/18. This will be the last pod parent volunteer opportunity for the 2022-2023 school year!
Pod Parents is a volunteer program where parent(s)/guardian(s) go into the six (6) Pods [K-5th grades] at Vernfield to assist any participating teachers with projects, tasks, and/or other busy work. We have added the Main Office and the Library to the areas that may need assistance. Parents may float amongst the pods/office/library to where they may find work to complete during their designated time slot.
Teachers are looking for help on Wednesday, 5/17 and Thursday, 5/18 at the following times:
- 9:00 am to 11:00 am
- 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm
Please sign up via the below link:
When you arrive at the school, please:
1. Check into the front office for the Pod Parent directions. You will need your driver’s license and the completed volunteer registration form, which can be found on the SASD website.
2. Once checked in, you can proceed to any of the Pods, where there will be instructions that participating teachers have left for the volunteers.
3. Please note that all volunteer work will be completed in the Pod and not in the classrooms. Please do not enter the classrooms or otherwise disturb classroom learning.
4. Please be respectful that pod parent volunteer time is not a time to hold individual conversations with your child's teacher or to visit the classroom of your child.
5. Kindly check with Mrs. Smerecki (Main Office) and Mrs. Lightstone (Library) to see if they need assistance.
6. If you have completed your work, and you are not able to find any additional work available, please be advised that you are not required to stay for the full two (2) hour time slot.
7. Finally, if you are not able to complete the project within your two (2) hour time slot, please leave the instructions and materials in the pod as you found them for the next group of volunteers to work on.
If you have any questions and/or concerns, you may reach out to Kristen Viscardi at firstname.lastname@example.org
A Big Earth Day Thank You!
On behalf of the Earth Day planning committee, thank you to all of the parent & family volunteers who participated in Earth Day activities on April 28th and May 5th!
We had over 50 volunteers participate over both days, helping students to:
-Make wildflower seed bombs
-Plant tomato seeds
-Spread wood chips on Vernfield nature trails
-Dig for macro-invertebrates in the stream
We'd also like to thank the families who contributed supplies for Earth Day. We couldn't have done it without your generous support!
A special thanks to Schuylkill River Greenways, who presented to all students about the importance of our local watershed in supporting the Food Chain, and how students can help keep our waterways clean.
-Memorial Day Holiday - Schools and Offices Closed
-IV Jazz Band Assembly 9:00 AM -9:30 AM
-5th Grade Picnic-Third Grade Field Trip
-5th Grade vs. Faculty Relays 2:30 PM -3:00 PM All-Purpose Room
-Movie Reward Day All-Purpose Room (K,1,2 9:00 AM; 3,4,5 1:35 PM)-4th Grade Field Trip
-Student Recognition Assembly All-Purpose Room - 9:00 AM
-Elementary Early Dismissal: 1:45pm
-Last Day of School - Elementary Early Dismissal: 10:45 AM
Easy Ways to Help Fundraise!
Please consider helping to raise funds for Home & School using the following:
- Box Tops Bonus App: Download the Box Tops Bonus App for your phone or tablet! Find offers, buy products, scan your receipt and earn even MORE box tops for Vernfield!
- Coca Cola Give: Sign up at https://us.coca-cola.com/give/schools/ then just scan your product or enter your product code and watch the funds grow.
HSA Executive Board Members
President: Kristin Emmons; email@example.com
VP Fundraising: Diane Meyer; firstname.lastname@example.org
VP Communications: Mandy Merrill; email@example.com
Secretary: Kristen Viscardi; firstname.lastname@example.org
Co-Treasurer: Alisha Reynolds; email@example.com
Co-Treasurer Elect: Sarah Osiol; firstname.lastname@example.org
Co-Treasurer: Wendy Clemmer; email@example.com