Advanced Practice Midwifery Course
Madison, WI Midwifery Skills Workshop
Join us for a two day intensive hands-on clinical skills workshop
Birth Business requires a special skills set because your clientele can not be repeat clients for 1-5 years later biologically. Come learn how to constantly be reaching new and engaged clients. Learn from your fellow birth business peeps, explore long term strategies and hone your 'elevator speech'. Leave this workshop with a renewed level of optimism and a relaxed positive attitude about making a sustainable living in birth business.
Madison, WI Advanced Midwifery Skills AND BONUS Business Skills Workshop
Saturday, Aug. 12th, 8am to Monday, Aug. 14th, 3pm
6510 Schroeder Road
Potluck lunch both days.
NARM & most MEAC school student skills sign off available
Cost : $345
(additional add-on business skills day for $135)
*Special discounted rate for students who have taken a workshop with us within the last 12 months! Email to inquire
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Saturday August 12th, 8am-5pm
- Venipuncture practice with phlebotomy skills & IV placement and administration
- Cervical assessment for abnormality and manual breaking of scar tissue in pregnancy or labor
- Post dates diagnosis, non-pharmaceutical cervical ripening & labor induction including herbs, oils, homeopathics, natural prostaglandins & oxytocin release, and bulb foley placement
- Internal fetal head positioning and re-positioning & cervical lip diagnosis & treatment
- Newborn latch & mouth assessment, identifying and treating thrush & identifying and treating tongue and lip tie
Sunday August 13th, 8am-5pm
- Advanced fetal monitoring, out-of-hospital NST & fluid assessment
- Twins, breech, and external version techniques
- Shoulder dystocia prevention and management with hands on mannequin practice and role plays
- Preventing tears, performing episiotomy, and repairing lacerations including labial, clitoral hood & 3rd degree extensions
- Hemorrhage diagnosis & treatment, estimated blood loss and urinary catheter placement
**special additional add-on day!**
Monday August 14th, 8am-3pm
- Brainstorm your ideal practice model and structure
- Develop knowledge of legal responsibility of business ownership, including: city, county, state, and federal laws, the required inspections, and needed business and professional licenses
- Create successful marketing strategies, advertising options, and discuss public relations in your area
- Define and discuss budgeting, software and equipment purchases and successful strategic planning
- Discuss several successful staffing/student structures
- Discover pros and cons of an in-house vs out-source billing
- Understand the roles of allied business professionals
Augustine Colebrook, CPM
Augustine is nationally recognized midwifery educator, experienced business executive, and veteran midwife with 18 years experience. Her life's mission is to mainstream midwifery and deconstruct the culture of fear and misinformation that surrounds the US maternity world. To that end, Augustine 'midwife's the midwife' through her many public education programs, consulting services for maternity practice & birth center administrators, and private coaching services for new midwives.
It is her profound honor to illuminate the sacred path to joyful and sustainable midwifery practice. She is writing a book for families and working on a film project, entitled, "what labor looks [and sounds] like". Additionally, Augustine leads adventure retreats for women hesitant about the unknown and ready to up-level their lives.