January 31, 2016
Happy February! Let's hope winter is OVER!
It is hard to believe that after this week we will only have 80 more days of school! Are your students over halfway to mastering your grade level skills? What do you need to support your efforts? Here are some links to some refreshers about the importance of a high level of time on task and rigor.
I am looking at buying some under the desk bicycle pedals. I have a couple of students in mind who may benefit but let me know if you are interested in trying these out in your classroom!
Please let me know the meeting dates of your action teams so I can put them on the main calendar. If you have not signed up to participate on an action team, you are encouraged to do so. While this is not a requirement, we do want everyone to feel part of these wonderful initiatives that we have going on at our school! Action Team facilitators: please review the LIM posters in the office area to determine what needs to be on your upcoming agendas. I would like to reschedule the Lighthouse Team Meeting from Feb. 11 to Feb. 9. Please let me know if this is possible.
- Ann-Marie McBride has put a box in the lounge to collect book donations for AHOPE. See the info that was previously shared: The BCS School Social Workers are collaborating on a service project. We are focusing on Homeward Bound of WNC. Homeward Bound ends homelessness in Western North Carolina by moving people into housing of their own and providing the support they need to stay housed for good. 89% of the people they've housed haven't become homeless again. I know about their services because I have been able to work with them to help some of our families who had become homeless. Each school is choosing one or 2 items to collect for this agency. The Weaverville Schools will be collecting paperback books (adult literature) for the AHOPE day center. Many of you have probably found reading a good book to be an inexpensive form of entertainment and stress relief. In this small way, we can help someone in crisis deal with the incredible stress they are experiencing. I will place a box in the lounge, and we will collect books from now until February 11th. Thank you for supporting our community!
- Spending Deadlines for the year: Please take an inventory of your instructional supplies. If you see that you need to order things (including copy paper) to finish our this school year, please turn in your orders to Suzy Mace by February 5th. We will ask that you do another order to start up in the Fall so this should just include your needs through the end of the school year. Make sure to include copy paper!
Update on Building/Environment Action Team
This action team has been hard at work! This team is working with Advantage Printing to design 'wraps' that will go around the 14 poles that are between the bus loading and car rider area. These poles will be wrapped as crayons (colors to match the LIM posters) with the habits printed on them. See the picture from Avery's Creek that was the inspiration but of course, ours had to look different. Plans are in place for an 8 ft by 8 ft replica of our new school symbol with mission statement to be attached to the brick on the outside of the gym. The outdated mission statement that is in the lobby will also be replaced.
Literacy Team Working Hard!
Literacy Team observed at Haw Creek on Friday and then came back to discuss options for phonics instruction and word development at WPS and WvES. A special thank you to their participation and willingness to represent the whole school as we work to establish a comprehensive instructional timeline.
Congratulations to our newest Super Hawk!
If you haven't already heard, Mrs. Sarah Harrison is replacing Ms. Cindy Roop as our newly elected Super Hawk! A special thanks to all of our staff members who go above and beyond for students each day.
Update on Building/Environment Action Team
Literacy Team Working Hard!
Visit with Senator Thom Tillis Details - Thursday, February 4th
- 8:30 - 9:15 - Tour of the school. (Allison and selected fourth grade students). Please have your student greeters prepared to greet us as we enter your classroom.
- 9:15 - 9:45 - Q/A session with SIT members in the Media Center. See coverage schedule: Prettyman will cover Brookshire's class; P. Edwards will cover Bettilyon's class (switch assigned times); English will cover Shelton's class. Benfield, Harrison, Shipman, Allison, Crain, and Buckley (if possible) will also participate. I am sending an invitation to our parent representatives as well.
- Assistants covering classes will remain until the SIT members return so if they are supposed to come to you next, they could possibly be a little late.
- Trista Huffman will join Mrs. Prettyman in Mrs. Brookshire's class after the Leaders Achieve group for extra support if we are running late.
- I have no idea what questions will be asked. I do know that they wanted to discuss the successes and challenges of a school. Please share any tidbits you would like your SIT representative to mention regarding education and related topics.
- Wear your "Ask Me About My Why" button. Not a blue jean day though. Some staff mentioned wearing "Red for Ed". That is your choice.
RED HOT Leadership Pep Rally Details
We will celebrate our progress on our Leader in Me journey on Friday, February 5th at 1:30 in the gym. Here are the notes about the program decided at the last Lighthouse Team meeting. Hopefully your Lighthouse representative shared this news with you.
Yes I Can song (Roop)
7 Habits dance/cheer (Benfield)
Habit Review - Students will give a brief testimony about how they are living each habit (one liner)
2nd Grade - Be Proactive (Kaitlyn Richards), Begin with the End in Mind (Anders Utz)
3rd Grade - Put First Things First, Think Win-Win
4th Grade - Seek First to Understand, Synergize
Buckley - Sharpen the Saw
Allison - Find Your Voice
End with Red Hot Cheer - Allison can start the Red Hot Cheer and the Lighthouse Team will help lead the cheer, Carla to make signs for Red Hot
- Grade levels need to pick students who will be presenting each habit and give a list to Mrs. Allison (I have the list from 2nd grade).
- Please wear RED to our RED HOT Leader in Me pep rally. Staff members who wear red may wear jeans.
February 11 - Visit to Sugarloaf Elementary - Leadership Day
Fields, Lanning, Roop, Aubry, P. Shelton and Pott (members of the Leadership Day Action Team). Shipman, Allison, Meredith Switzer and Kellie Lynch are also attending. After much debate and changes in the school day schedule, I have decided that we will pay for full day subs for Fields and Lanning. As the facilitators of the action team, they will return to school and work on their agenda/to-do list for this action team based on the experience. Roop, Aubry, P. Shelton and Pott will leave at 11:00 to return to school in time to teach afternoon classes (if applicable).
I have recently received an invitation to another Leadership Day at Estes Elementary. If you have a desire to attend and are willing to help plan our day, please let me know. I have a couple of people in mind already but we have a few more slots we could use. Thanks!
Welcome to Ms. Hewett!
The Pacing of Leader in Me Habit instruction (revised)
February 1 - 5 (continued) - Habit #2 - Begin with the End in Mind
February 8 - 19 - Habit #3 - Put First Things First
February 22 - March 4 - Habit #4 - Think Win-Win
March 7 - March 18 - Habit #5 - Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood
March 21 - 24 - Review/Catch Up
April 4 - 15 - Habit #6 - Synergize
April 18 - 29 - Habit #7 - Sharpen the Saw
- February 1-5 - National Counseling Week - Thank you to Jayme Benfield for all you do!
- February 1 - No EC classes
- February 1 - FREE Blue Jean Day if you wear your "Ask Me About My Why" Button!
- February 2 - PTO meeting at WvES
- February 2 - NB District Parent Meeting for 4th grade parents regarding devices; 6:30 PM at NBMS
- February 3 - Report Cards go Home
- February 3 - Leadership Team meeting at 12:00 at WPS
- February 4 - School visit by US Senator Thom Tillis (see details) - Wear your "Ask Me About My Why Button (but not a dress down day).
- February 4 - Staff Meeting - The Pierce Representative for the Flexible Benefits will join us. The representative will also meet with eligible staff at 1:00 in the cafeteria.
- February 5 - Last Day for mClass testing and 100th Day of School!
- February 5 - Supply Orders for the remainder of the year due to Suzy Mace.
- February 5 - Tie Dye Day for Box Tops for students and staff. Bring in 2 box tops to participate. Staff members may wear jeans if you bring in 2 box tops (or see below).
- February 5 - RED HOT Leader in Me Pep Rally at 1:30 in the gym (should last 20 - 30 minutes). All staff should stay in the gym to participate. Wear a red shirt and have a free blue jean day!
- February 5 - Non-certified meeting at 10:30 in the Media Center
- February 8 - 12 - Love the Bus Week! We love our bus drivers and bus substitutes!
- February 9 and 10 - WvES Data Discussions - we will follow the same plan as last time (unless someone has a brilliant idea to share). I will send out a reminder of that plan.
- February 10 - Literacy Team Meeting
- February 11 - Regular School Day
- February 11 - Sugarloaf Elementary's Leadership Day - several staff members are attending
- February 11 - Lighthouse Team Meeting
- February 12 - Regular School Day and Second Grade Hearts and Habits/Student Recognition
- February 15 - PDP Midyear reviews are due for the county. Please have yours done by Feb. 12 so I will have time to review it and sign off by the deadline. If you would like to meet individually, I will be happy to schedule a time. If you completed your goals with your grade level, it is appropriate to work with your grade level on your midyear review.
- February 15 - Will probably start a session of ACCESS Testing on this day. Will need computer lab and Media Center in the AM. More information to come.
- February 16 - District Advisory Council Luncheon at NWR - 11:30 AM and Fourth Grade Hearts and Habits/Student Recognition
- February 17 - Elementary Principal's Meeting and Third Grade Hearts and Habits/Student Recognition
- February 17 - School Improvement Team Meeting - send agenda items to Amanda Brookshire and/or Jennifer Shelton
- February 18 - PBIS Action Team meeting cancelled
- February 18 - 4th Grade Chorus Concert for All-County Chorus Members at First Baptist Church in Asheville
- February 22 - 26 - Will probably do some more ACCESS Testing this week (more information to come)
- February 29 - Principal's Meeting and SIT Midyear Reviews due
- February 29 - March 4 - Read Across America Week and One Book; One School Event
- February 29 - Special readers in Leaders Achieve blocks to kick off One Book; One School (more info to come)
- February 29 - Wendy Fusco to meet with specialists at 10:30 and 4th grade at 1:30 regarding 1:1 implementation
- March 3 - SoConn Basketball Tourney for 3rd graders
- March 4 - Book Character Parade and SoConn Basketball Tourney for 4th graders
- March 10 - WvES PTO Dining Out Event/Fundraiser
- March 22 - 2nd grade Parent Math Workshop/Event
- March 23 - 3rd grade Parent Math Workshop/Event
- March 24 - 4th grade Parent Math Workshop/Event
- May 5 - Production of "The Imagination Case" by Drama Club and Chorus (6:30 PM)
- May 30 - Memorial Day - now an OTWD instead of Annual Leave Day
- May 13 - WvES Spring Fling - Mark your calendars now so you can be there!
- August 15 - School-wide Leader in Me Training