Blue Valley North's Parent Newsletter - December 10, 2021
In this Newsletter …
Canvas Update & Final Grades
Winter Clothing Drive for City Union Mission
Traveling out of the Country Info
Assistance for BVN Families
The Stampede Winter Sale - 12/15
Girls' Basketball Fundraiser - 12/16
Kudos and Celebrations
BVN Bell Schedules
Mark Your Calendar
Durham Bus Information
Fall Activity Guide
The Mustang Club (former PBC)
Canvas Update, Final Exam Scores and Grades in ParentVue
End of Semester Information (new)
At the end of the day on Tuesday, December 21st, courses in Canvas will conclude and will no longer be visible on the Canvas Parent app. A concluded course is only visible through the Canvas Website. To view concluded courses, open Canvas in a web browser, log in, and click on the Courses tab. Click View All Courses and scroll down to find the past enrollments. Access Past Enrollment guide (Video tutorial)
Final exam scores and other individual assignment grades can be viewed in Canvas. Semester grades reports will be published in ParentVUE on January 12th.
Need some help?
Blue Valley has a variety of resources available for parent support on the district’s Canvas web page, www.bluevalleyk12.org/canvas.
Winter Clothing Drive for City Union Mission (new)
Traveling Out of the Country Information
This important message is for any families or staff that will travel out of the United States during the school year. Please click here to read the restrictions and recommendations for Out of the Country travel. *Canvas, Classlink, and email are not accessible out of the country unless you have a personal device with a VPN on it.
Help for BVN Families ~ deadline December 13 (last chance)
There are Blue Valley North families in need and we want to offer assistance during the Holiday Season. If you are able, please sign-up for a gift card on the link below. It is not necessary to create a Sign up Genius account to sign-up.
Put your gift card in a sealed envelope marked “Family #1” and so forth. Drop it off by 9:00 a.m. on Monday, December 13 to Janet Roush or Teresa Anderson, BVN Principals' Assitants, in the BVN Main Office. If you have questions, please contact Janet Roush at (913) 239-3012 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Thank you for being the Unspoken Heroes of North!
Holiday Shopping ~ The Stampede ~ Dec. 15, 4 - 7 pm (new)
Looking for a last minute holiday gift for your student? Come to the BVN Stampede on December 15th from 4:00 – 7:00 pm to snag some holiday deals, hot chocolate and buy raffle tickets to win some awesome prizes! We have new inventory and deals for the whole family. We can’t wait to see you! Contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
Girls' Basketball Fundraiser ~ December 16, 4-8 pm (new)
Kudos and Celebrations
Boys' Swimming and Diving Team (new)
The Boys' Swimming and Diving Meet was a huge success on December 5. Thanks to our fans and awesome volunteers for a great home meet. Congrats to the athletes for a 107 - 78 victory over BVW! The team showed a lot of depth. It should be fun watching them compete and improve.
Special congrats to our state qualifiers:
Alex Houts - 50 Free/100 Free
Spencer Eyen and Matt Freeman for besting the state standard by a whopping 60 and 25 points respectively.
Congrats on state consideration:
Michael Mayo - 20 IM/100 Back
Ethan Chan - 200 IM/100 Breast
Klein McGraw - 100 Breast
Alec Lopez - 200 Free
Sasha Siomades - 50 Free
Max Masilonis - 100 Fly
Way to go boys!
Counseling, Academics & Testing (updates)
Click Here For BVN's Counseling Webpage for information about:
- The deadline to drop a class for this semester has passed. Students must stay in their current classes for the remainder of the semester and take a grade.
- Students wanting to change a class in their 2nd semester schedule will have that opportunity during the first 5 days after returning from winter break. A schedule change google form will be emailed to families on January 4th.
- Seniors with Jan 1 college application deadlines who need a transcript or teacher/counselor recommendation should be aware that the school will be closed Dec 22 – Jan 3rd and staff will not be able to send materials to colleges. If requests for Jan 1 deadline materials have not yet been made, seniors should make those requests immediately.
- Junior College Planning:
- Counselors met with Juniors in English classrooms to discuss using Naviance for Career and College Planning
- Counselors offered a parent college planning zoom presentation on 10/25 and 11/16. A video of the presentation as well as other associated information can be found on the Counseling Canvas page here - College and Career Planning
- Counselors met with Freshmen in their ELA classes to discuss using Naviance to create a four-year high school academic plan. An email was sent to all Freshmen and their Parent/Guardians on 11/8 with Naviance login information and a list of tasks on Naviance recommended for Freshmen. More information can be found on the Counseling Canvas page here - Freshman Course Planning
- Counselors will meet with all grade levels in their Biology, ELA 10, US History or Government class this week to present the #GiveMe20 suicide prevention program. Students each made a lifebox to decorate and fill with uplifting statements and items that make them happy. More information on the program can be found here - https://giveme20.net/.
- Visit the Counseling Virtual Calming Room
- Visit the Counseling Home Page to find additional resources or contact information for Counselors and other Student Services staff.
Questions? Contact Sarah King @ (913)239-3016 or SKing@bluevalleyk12.org .
How to Have a Mental Health Check-In with Your Teen
BVN Bell Schedules ~ North Time cancelled on Fridays
When there are five days in the school week, the Bell Schedule will be Odd, Even, Odd, Even, Traditional Day. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday, school begins at 7:40 a.m. On Tuesday and Thursday, school begins at 8:25 a.m. (see below). If you want a copy for home, ask your student to stop by the BVN main office. It's also posted on the BVN website. When there are schedule changes due to a shortened school week, during finals, etc., it will be announced in North Notes and listed on the EKL calendar, BVN’s school calendar.
Update: On Tuesday & Thursday, North Time is now called Academic Support Time (AST).
Here is a link to the Bell Schedule which is on the BVN website: BVNBELLSCHEDULE .
Mark Your Calendar
December 17: Finals Hour 1 (7:40-9:00); Hour 2 (9:10-10:30); Early release at 10:30
December 20: Finals H3 (7:40-9:00); H4 (9:10-10:30); H5 (10:40-12:00); Early release at 12:00
December 21: Finals Hour 6 (7:40-9:00); Hour 7 (9:10-10:30 am)/Early release at 10:30
Dec. 22-Jan 4: Winter Break
January 5: School Resumes
January 17: NO SCHOOL/Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday
Upcoming All School Events
All BVN events, activities, sporting events and additional calendar adjustments are found on the EKL calendar: www.easternkansasleague.org
Click here for the 2021-22 Blue Valley School District Calendar.
Fostering A Safe School Environment (new)
Blue Valley Schools is committed to promoting and fostering a safe environment in and around all of our schools. Through the convergence of physical and intellectual security measures, we are continuously working to prevent, mitigate, respond to and recover from a wide range of emergencies. Please check out available ways to report safety concerns.
BV Career Ready Programs (new)
The Career Ready Programs department is offering several exciting opportunities for Blue Valley students to earn college credit at little to NO cost to families through Johnson County Community College (JCCC). Students can earn an associate degree OR career-ready certification in high-demand, high paying fields. Areas include: Automotive Technology, Culinary & Hospitality, Cybersecurity, Electrician Technology, Electronic Technology, Emergency Management & Fire Science, HVAC, Nail Technology, Plumbing, and Welding/Metal Fabrication.
The information shared at these sessions will be most relevant for current sophomore and junior students and parents/guardians. We invite you to attend one of our community-wide family informational sessions in January:
January 19, 2022: Learn more about the Dual Degree option and how to earn your associate degree AND your Blue Valley diploma at the same time! Join us at the JCCC Student Center lobby at 6:30 p.m.
January 25, 2022: Learn more about the Emergency Management & Fire Science program from our partners at the Overland Park Fire Department (OPFD) at the OPFD Training Center at 12401 Hemlock at 6:30 p.m.
January 27, 2022: Learn more about the career ready certification programs in the JCCC CTEC building lobby at 6:30 P.M. We will hear from JCCC Deans, Department Chairs, and Blue Valley students currently enrolled in these programs.
Questions? Please visit the Blue Valley Career Ready Programs website at https://www.bluevalleyk12.org/domain/5605 or please feel free to reach out to Sarah Beren, Liaison to JCCC for Blue Valley Career Ready Programs, at 913-239-4141 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student ID Cards and Student/Family Activity Passes
If you've recently purchased a Student or Family Activity Pass or an Adult Individual Activity pass, you can have your student see Mrs. Miller in the Student Services office to request the cards.
Are you moving? Have you moved?
Please contact the BVN Registrar, Suzy Doherty, by email at email@example.com .
8th Grade Enrollment Night Info (new)
Track and Field Team
BVN Track and Field pre-season workouts will take place after the new year at BVN. Please look over the PowerPoint for training info CLICK HERE. The workouts are 100% optional but will be beneficial for the upcoming season.
Please sign up for the Spond App. Anyone can join this group for track and field info by using the link https://group.spond.com/UGXMK
Any questions, students should see Coach Fancher, after school, in Mobile 1.
Girls' Softball is a spring sport, but the pre-season conditioning starts next week on Tuesday, November 2nd at 7:00 a.m. in the BVN weight room. The schedule will be Tuesday & Thursday at 7:00 a.m., and Wednesdays at 6:45 a.m.! Please reach out to Coach Stevie if you have questions: firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you have questions, contact Teresa Anderson, BVN Assistant to the Athletic Director, at 913-239-3011 or by email, email@example.com .
Senior Information for the Class of 2022
Save the date for 2022 Graduation: Sunday, May 22, at 7 p.m. at the District Activity Center, 13310 Switzer, Overland Park, Kansas 66213. Rain date is Wednesday, May 25 at 6 p.m. There are no tickets required and there is no limit on seating.
Senior Info page: Click HERE to access:
- A link to let us know how you want your senior's name printed on his/her diploma, along with authorizing the release of your student's transcript for college applications
- A link to order your cap & gown for graduation, plus info about shipping schedule
- Seniors received information about the opportunity to earn the Seal of Biliteracy via email communication on November 29. If you are interested in learning more about this opportunity, please review the Seal of Biliteracy website for detailed information. If you would like to participate, the Seal of Biliteracy Student Intent Form must be submitted by the end of day Friday, Dec 17, 2021.
We will update the Canvas page as new info becomes available.
Questions? Contact BVN Activities: Lisa Miller @ firstname.lastname@example.org .
COVID Close Contact Options updated (new)
Is Your Child Sick? Please read on....
Winter, colds, flu, and other viruses often come together. Germs from colds and other illnesses make their way into our workplaces, schools, and homes. If you have a child who is sick, we ask for your support by keeping them at home. District protocol requires students stay home until they are fever free for a period of 24 hours and or at least 24 hours since symptom resolution. If your child has been diagnosed by a physician with Influenza, please keep them home for five days following onset of illness or for the duration of illness if the case is immune compromised.
As you know, the health of our students is important to us. Thank you for your continued partnership as we work together to keep our kids healthy and in school.
School Nurse Information and Clinic Hours
The Nurse's office is open M – F: 7:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. It closes for lunch 10:00 - 10:30 a.m. except in the case of an emergency. Nurse Amanda Collichio is available to assist students with their health needs, first-aid and medical conditions. For help, contact Nurse Amanda at (913) 239-3013 or AJCollichio@bluevalleyk12.org .
Prescription Meds at BVN - Action Needed
This is reminder to parents: All prescription medications must be accompanied by this written authorization from a physician or other person licensed to prescribe medications, for the administration of that medication at school. All prescription medications to be administered at school must be in their original containers with the label intact. Students shouldn’t be self-carrying unlabeled prescription medications or any prescription medications. Questions? Email Nurse Amanda Collichio at email@example.com.
JOCO COVID-19 Updates
Please follow this link to the Johnson County COVID-19 website for current information.
COVID-19 Testing and Resources for BV Staff, Students and Families
Throughout this school year, Blue Valley’s priorities have been the safety of our students and keeping students in school and in person as we know this is critical to their long-term success and well-being. MAWD Labs is offering a local COVID-19 testing option that is available for students, staff and their family members. This option is available through a Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) grant provided directly to MAWD Labs.
MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic Info (update)
Throughout this school year, Blue Valley’s priorities have been the safety of our students and keeping students in school and in-person as we know this is critical to their long-term success and well-being. MAWD Labs offers a local COVID-19 testing option available through a Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) grant provided directly to MAWD Labs.
Online Registration for MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic (new)
The MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic now has the ability to accept online registrations.
- Create an online account for parent/guardian. Please note that to login into the account in the future, username is the parent/guardian email address.
- Complete form for child needing COVID-19 testing and submit.
- Add additional family members by clicking Add Individual.
- Receive a QR code via email for each family member needing testing. Keep this code as it will need to be shown upon arrival for each appointment.
- Call (913) 239-4371 to make an appointment for a specific time for testing.
MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic: 14950 Newton Drive, Overland Park, KS 66223 (Northwest of CAPS on the Blue Valley School District Campus)
- Hours of Operation (Closed during Winter Break)
- Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Friday 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Sunday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Closed: Dec. 22 - Jan. 3
- Open: Jan. 4 from 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- The MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will be closed whenever school is cancelled for inclement weather.
Additional information about MAWD’s Drive-In Testing Clinic is available on the district website. General COVID-19 resources from Johnson County Department of Health and Environment, community testing locations and vaccine information from Children’s Mercy can be found on the district website.
Blue Valley families can find a variety of COVID-19 resources on the district website including general COVID-19 information, community testing locations and vaccine information from Children’s Mercy.
Durham Bus Riders (updated)
Durham will continue to transport our bus riders in the 2021-22 school year. If you have questions, please call Durham at 913-681-2492. The best time to call is between 9:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. when more staff are available to answer questions.
Durham Bus Services has three helpful tools for families with bus riders. Registration is required each year for families as bus routes and participants change:
- Bus Tracker: The Blue Valley Durham location will be using the Bus Tracker mobile app that is available for iOS and Android devices. To use the app, users will create an account that is tied to an email address of the user’s choice. The tool will allow account users to follow the route of a specific bus. Durham is updating daily when a scheduled backup bus is being used for a planned maintenance activity. If a bus is replaced with a quick turnaround due to an unforeseen event, Durham dispatch will make the switch on Bus Tracker at their next opportunity to update the app.
- Text Messaging: Families are still encouraged to sign up for Durham Text Messaging. The system is designed to share the “why” as Bus Tracker is designed to tell the “where”. To sign up for Durham Text Messaging visit www.bluevalleydurham.com.
- E-Link: Allows for verification of a student’s transportation information (i.e., stop location, bus # and pick-up and drop off times) based on the input of grade and home address. To access E-Link, go to www.bluevalleydurham.com.
Please Join The Mustang Club 2021-22!
After looking through the Fall Activity Guide, we hope you will be inspired to join The Mustang Club (the former BVN Parent Booster Club).
It financially supports BVN's extracurricular activities (similar to a PTO/PTA), and over the last 6 years, has granted over a half million dollars to support our school’s extracurricular activities, organizations, and athletic teams. We could not provide the depth and breadth of opportunities without your help through memberships and donations of your time.
The Mustang Club needs your support! Membership is down and volunteers are in short supply. Here are some options for you to consider:
· Become a Mustang Club member at one of the five membership levels;
· Purchase spirit wear from The Mustang Club website (www.bvnmustangs.com);
· Volunteer on a Mustang Club committee to support a specific event or cause. We specifically need a VP of Activities and a President Elect; and
· Take advantage of sponsorships for companies wanting to support BVN financially.
Thank you for your support and consideration and GO MUSTANGS!
SAVE THE Date - Buckaroo Bash January 29, 2022
You will not want to miss the biggest and best parent party in the Blue Valley School District! This fundraising event is a massive support for our students, and our hope is that this year’s event is an even bigger success than the last Bash, at which we made almost $28,000 to support our kids’ activities!
We are Mustang Proud!
North Notes is published most Fridays during the school year. North Notes is a newsletter for the parents and students of Blue Valley North High School. If you have questions, please contact Janet Roush, Assistant to the Principal, at JRoush@bluevalleyk12.org .
BVN Main Office Hours: 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Monday - Friday
The BVN Offices will be closed from December 22 - January 3 due to Winter Break.