Repetitive Strain Injury
What is RSI?
RSI stands for Repetitive Strain Injury. It is a condition that is caused by prolonged performance of repetitive action. Normally this condition is diagnosed to the hands, as we use our hands the most. Having a non-ergonomic work space can lead up to this condition.
Symptoms and Stages of Repetitive Strain Injury
There are two stages of this injury.
Type 1 RSI:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome (pain and compression of a nerve in the wrist)
- Tendinitis (inflammation of a tendon)
- Tenosynovitis (inflammation of a tendon sheath)
Type 2 RSI:
- symptoms do not fit into a well-defined syndrome
- no objective or measurable signs such as inflammation
- no swelling
- no problems with nerves
- can be called “Diffuse RSI”
- can also be called “Nonspecific pain syndrome”
- Maintain a good posture
- Adjust height of your chair and keyboard
- Adjustable lumbar support recommended
- Elbows should be at 90 degrees when typing
- Forearms should be horizontal when using the keyboard and mouse
- Keyboard should be about 28 inches off the floor
- Feet must be flat on the floor
- Monitor should be directly in front of you
- Monitor should be arms length away
- Use document holders to reduce eye and neck strain
- Chin tucks
- Neck rotations
- Neck side bends
- Neck forward bends
- Chest stretches
- Wrist extensions
- Wrist flexing
- Finger stretches
Here is a Video About RSI:
“Exercises After Your Neck Surgery.” Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, n.d. Web. 02 May 2016. <http://www.athletico.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/chin-tucks.png>.
“Human Factors and Ergonomics.” Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n,d. Web. 01 May 2016. <https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Computer_Workstation_Variables_cleanup.png>.
Jackson Roberts. FAQs on Repetitive Strain Injury Claims. n.d. Web. 01 May 2016. <http://www.robertsjackson.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/RSI.jpg>.
Kenny Tim. “Repetitive Strain Injury.” Patient Trusted medical information and support. N.p. n.d. Web. 01 May 2016. <http://patient.info/health/repetitive-strain-injury-leaflet>.
“RSI Is Not Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Tutorial FAQ.” Community. Natural Point. n.d. Web. 01 May 2016. <https://naturalpoint.com/smartnav/community/rsi-faq.html>.
“SIMPSONS ERGONOMICS POSTER 11X17.” BONGARDE HOLDINGS. N.p. n.d. Web. 01 May 2016.<https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/images/items/zoom/12LP96_AS01.JPG>.