7th Grade Language Arts
Welcome to Liberty Middle School, seventh grade, and to my class! I look forward to working with your child and you throughout this sure-to-be-exhilarating school year
This 21st century language arts class is structured to enhance your writing abilities, both in expository and persuasive formats, as well as further your study of literature and continue the development of your critical thinking skills using digital tools. We will work on strengthening your grammar, building solid sentence structure, and producing well-crafted essays.
Students are expected to participate in all aspects of the classroom environment, including our digital Edmodo classroom, in order to advance their knowledge of the language arts skill set. Students are expected to be positive, respectful, attentive, and prepared for all class meetings as well as on Edmodo. For a safe classroom environment to exist, name-calling and any other offensive actions will be strictly prohibited and will result in immediate disciplinary action. It is also expected that students do not bring food or beverages to the classroom, especially not gum. Students are expected to treat the provided classroom materials with respect and must make a habit of cleaning up their workspace.
- Google Drive Binder: Students will be keeping a Google Drive Binder for Language Arts. The binder should not contain notes or assignments for any other subjects. Students will need to access the Google Drive Binder every day. The Google Drive Binder will be graded on a regular basis.
- Bell Work: The first 7 minutes of class are spent on bell work. Monday through Thursday, students are expected to have an independent reading book and will need to maintain their digital reading log in their Google Drive Binder. On Fridays, students will have an opportunity to write a journal entry about any topic of their choice as long as the topic is school appropriate.
- Class Work: Students will complete all class work using Edmodo and their Google Drive Binder.
- Homework: Students will be assigned homework EVERY Tuesday and Thursday due the following school day. Homework will be assigned using Edmodo or Google Drive. If students do not have access to the Internet at home, they will still be able to complete their homework.
- Reading: Students are responsible for reading a total of THREE books per nine weeks on their own time. Books must be on or above their reading level. Students must take an AR test and earn at least an 85% on the test to receive credit.
Absences and Missing Work
If a student has an excused absence, he or she will be able to make up the missing assignments without a grade reduction within two weeks of returning to school. If a student has an unexcused absence, he or she will be able to make up the missing assignment within two weeks of returning to school, but will face small grade reduction as a consequence for not turning in the assignment in a timely manner.
If a student simply did not complete an assignment or turn it in by the deadline, he or she will still be able to complete and turn the missing assignment in. However, the student will face a small grade reduction as a consequence for not turning in the assignment in a timely manner. Additionally, the assignment must be completed within two weeks of the deadline.
Ms. Allison Kibbey
I am a graduate of The Florida State University and hold a Bachelor of Science degree in English Education. I am currently pursuing a Master of Arts Degree at the University of Central Florida in Educational Technology. In my spare time, I love to snuggle my dog, read, make stuff, travel, and of course spend time with family and friends.