Adopt An Element
By Tobby Navarro
Who discovered Lithium? Origin of the Name.
Lithium was discovered by Johan August Arfwedson in 1817. Name lithium in Greek means stone which it came from.
Lithiums classification, melting point, boiling point, and normal phase.
Melting Point: 180.5 degrees Celsius
Boiling Point: 1,342 degrees Celsius
Normal Phase: Solid
Cost of lithium per 100 g.
The cost of lithium per 100g is $27.
Interesting Info about lithium.
- Lithium is an Alkali metal.
- Lithium metal burns white, though it imparts a crimson color to a flame.
- Lithium does not occur free in nature, though it is found in nearly all igneous rocks and in mineral springs.
- Pure lithium metal is extremely corrosive and requires special handling.
- Lithium is the lightest metal, with a density about half that of water. In other words, if lithium did not react with water, it would float.