Summer greetings to you all! It has been nearly a full month since our 2021/2022 school year ended and across July, our campus has begun to shift in preparation of the coming year. This mid-July version of MOE News includes updates pertaining to previous topics and some new information. In addition, please checkout our calendar for important dates leading up to the start of our 2022/2023 school year.
Lastly, please take a moment to enjoy the Regal update (video below). Each morning last year, our announcements included a school-wide Take Flight Challenge for consideration. Our final challenge of the year posed the simple question, "Can Regal fly?" As Regal is our school mascot and mascots are not known for their ability to fly, our students were skeptical. As we progress toward our welcome back in early September, please look for additional videos and updates. We hope that these light-hearted, brief videos add to your summer enjoyment as Regal endeavors to fly like an eagle.
Thank you in advance for reading through the below.
Summer Adventures of Regal the Eagle
- Wednesday, July 20 - MOE Summer Library (10:30 am - 1:30 pm)
- Wednesday, July 27 - MOE Summer Library (10:30 am - 1:30 pm)
- Wednesday, August 3 - MOE Summer Library (10:30 am - 1:30 pm)
- Wednesday, August 10 - MOE Summer Library (10:30 am - 1:30 pm)
- Monday, August 15 - MOE school office reopens
- Wednesday, August 17 - MOE Summer Library final day (10:30 am - 1:30 pm)
- Wednesday, August 17 - Popsicles on the Playground (4:30 - 6:00 pm)
- Monday, August 22, through Friday, August 26 - Everett Ready (8:35 - 11:35 am)
- Friday, August 26 - Everett Ready Family Meeting (11:00 am - 12:00 pm)
- Wednesday, August 31 - Teacher Assignment Notification through HAC
- Thursday, September 1 - Meet Your Teacher (5:00 - 6:30 pm)
- Wednesday, September 7 - 1st Day of School (Grades 1-5)
- Wednesday, September 7, through Friday, September 9 - Kindergarten WaKIDS Meetings
- Monday, September 12 - 1st Day of Kindergarten
Note: Due to the nature of this event, it will be weather dependent. We're going to assume that it will be warm and sunny but... if it decides to rain instead, popsicles (and playgrounds) are less fun.
Keep Your Brain Sharp Over The Summer
The equation for staying in shape is as follows - 10 + 10 + 20 = Success. To be more specific, 10 minutes of math, 10 minutes of writing, and 20 minutes of reading (each day) are enough to keep a student from the dreaded "summer slide." These efforts do not need to be overly guided or adult-supported. Rather, students should be able to engage in a book of their choice, review math facts for fluency, and write freely on their own. Resources to help include our MOE Library (open Wednesdays from 10:30am to 1:30pm), your local Snohomish County Library, our district's Summer Reading Adventure 2022 and Summer Math Challenge, and daily writing prompts including the 66 listed here. Each provide perfect opportunities to stay engaged, "in-shape," and learning across the summer.
Remember, 10 + 10 + 20 each day will make a tremendously positive difference come September.
Win the Day, Eagles!
Summer Library Reminder!
Please plan to join us on Wednesdays as our Monroe Library will be open from 10:30am to 1:30pm each/every week. Students will be able to read and check out books in the comfort of our library across the entire summer break. This will be critical as reading for fun over the summer is one of the most essential efforts to ensure that students are not academically sliding backwards. More importantly, reading for fun is a critical, lifelong habit and it is important for our students to develop their love of reading through an exploration of a wide variety of books. Please know that we are here and would be thrilled to welcome you as part of our summertime library program.
As we prepare for the coming school year, staffing our Team Monroe is an important responsibility. Since our last update, one shift has occurred. Mrs. Toni Walkley has served as our Monroe English-Language Arts Coach for the past few years. In this role, Mrs. Walkley was our go-to lead for all things reading and writing. While she fulfilled this role exceptionally well, Mrs. Walkley consistently missed the relationships and environment of her classroom. With Mrs. Gifford's move to Wyoming, a upper grade position opened and, with her experience Mrs. Walkley decided to shift her role and reopen room #220 next year as our fourth and fifth grade, multiage classroom teacher. Undoubtedly, Mrs. Walkley brings a wealth of knowledge to the role and is excited by all of the prospects of returning to an upper-grade (4/5) multiage classroom.
Mrs. Walkley's former coach role is in process with interviews having occurred earlier this week. We will be able to introduce this member of our team as part of our next Summer Update.
Thank you again for your time and for being part of our Monroe community. Please enjoy these warm, sunny summer days and look for our next update in early August. We look forward to seeing you again soon as we fly fearlessly into the 2022/2023 school year together!
Win the Day, Eagles!
Tyler & Catarino
Principal & Assistant Principal
Monroe Elementary School
Fax 425-385-7302 Fax
Missed an Update?
Below are links to previous Monroe Updates:
- June 21st, 2022 (final 21/22 update): English Version - Spanish Version
- Yearend School Letter
- June 1st, 2022: English Version - Spanish Version
- May 1st, 2022: English Version - Spanish Version
- Spring Assessments Update: English Version - Spanish Version
- April 1st, 2022: English Version - Spanish Version
- March 1st, 2022: English Version - Spanish Version
- February 14th, 2022: English Version - Spanish Version
- February 1st, 2022: English Version - Spanish Version
- January 14th, 2022: English Version - Spanish Version
- January 1st, 2022: English Version - Spanish Version
- December 16th, 2021: English Version - Spanish Version
- December 1, 2021: English Version - Spanish Version
- November 5th, 2021: English Version - Spanish Version
- October 22, 2021: English Version - Spanish Version
- October 1, 2021: English Version - Spanish Version
- September 17, 2021: English Version - Spanish Version
- September 7, 2021: English Version - Spanish Version
- September 1, 2021: English Version - Spanish Version
- August 26, 2021: English Version - Spanish Version
- August 18, 2021: English Version - Spanish version
- July 30, 2021: English Version - Spanish Version