Earth Day 2015
By: Danny Bryce
Ways I can Reduce, Recycle, and Reuse
- To reduce for Earth Day, I can ride my bike to places instead of using a car. Using a bike instead of a car reduces the amount of pollution in the sky.
- I can recycle paper to save the trees. By saving the trees animals will have their home.
- There are many things I can reuse for Earth Day. I can reuse a glass bottle more than once instead of throwing it in the trash.
- I can also help the community plant trees and plants.
- Another thing I can do is only keep the lights on when I need to, to save electricity.
- One more thing I can do to save the Earth is that I won't keep the water running when I am not using it.
Earth day History
In 1962 Gaylord Nelson decided something needed to be done in order to protect the Earth. He hoped to convince John F. Kennedy to help with this problem. Attorney General Robert Kennedy agreed with the issue. The president set out on an 11-state conservation tour in 1963. Although the tour was not successful Nelson kept trying. Nelson spoke to audiences in 25 states. In 1970, 20 million demonstrators, schools, and local communities demonstrated his demonstrations. Gaylord Nelson died on July 3, 2005, his contributions will always be remembered,
Interesting Facts About the Environment
- It takes approximately 1 million years for the environment to break down glass.
- The average American produce more than 4 pounds of garbage per day.
- It takes about 450 years for a plastic bottle to break down in a landfill.
- Americans use about 69 million tons of paper and paperboard each year.
- About 8 million metric tons of plastic go into the ocean each year.