URGENT: California Drought
By Kell Klopp
What is California facing?
What do Climatologists have to say?
California State Government Response
The California's Public Response
Governor Brown called upon the California public to try and decrease their water use by 20%. In response, UC Irvine faculty, staff, and students began writing their ideas of how to reduce their water footprints on the Pledge Tree.
Scientists and Government officials alike have been trying to make it apparent to everyone how severe this drought it. Through Instagram and Twitter, people have been tagging @TheUCCHM with the hashtags #DroughtResponseFail and #WaterWatchDogs, in hopes to create a more water-efficient community.
Take your pick
- Take shorter showers (5 minutes instead of 10)
- Install a water-efficient clothes washer (saves up to 16 gallons a load!)
- Let your pots and pans soak, instead of rinsing them off
- Pick up a broom to clean the sidewalk, driveway, and patios instead of a hose
- Turn your faucet off while brushing your teeth
- Run your washing machines only when they are full
- If you drop an ice cube don't throw it away! Put it in a house plant that needs water
- Have your toilets and sinks checked for leaking
- Plug your sink while shaving instead of letting the water run
- Don't overwater your lawn and plants
Be smart. Let's make a difference! We don't want this to be our new state flag!