WHATS A D.W.I & felony
- a traffic citation issued to a person accused of driving while intoxicated
- a felony is a major crime with a minimum penalty of one year in prison.
5 statiscs facts on drinking and driving
- Even though drinking and driving is a crime, thousands of people continue to get behind the wheel - and kill thousands of innocent people in alcohol-related crashes every year. That's about one person every 30 minutes
The legal drinking age in the US is 21, but nearly 80% of high school students have admitted to trying alcohol. With drinking and driving being the number one killer of young people,if someone you know has a problem find out what you can do to help put a stop to underage drinking and driving
- Access to an unlimited amount of alcohol for a flat fee increases the number of drinks in a sitting by 1.6 drinks on average
- From 1975 through 2005, it is estimated that safety belts saved 211,128 lives, including 15,632 lives saved in 2005. If all passenger vehicle occupants over age 4 wore safety belts, 20,960 lives (that is, an additional 5,328) could have been saved in 2005.
- A standard drink is defined as 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine or 1.5 ounces of 72-proof distilled spirits, all of which contain the same amount of alcohol - about .54 ounces.
the cost of DWI
A first offense conviction for driving while under the influence of alcohol (DUI) or while intoxicated (DWI) can cost a driver up to $20,000 in legal fees and related expenses, according to a criminal justice expert.