Weekday . . . News and Notes
St. Gabriel School ............. September 10 2015
PREVIEW OF CONTENTS
Frequent Grizzly Links
From the Office
- Morning Arrival Procedures
- St. Gabriel Hot Lunch Program
- Picture Day
From the School
- New SGS Blogs!
- Apples for Students - Giant Eagle
- Preventative Lice Check
- Attention: Parents of 7th graders
Clubs for Brain Power, Creative Artist, Spiritual Growth and Service and Athlete
- Grizzly Academy - starts Tuesday, September 8th
- Chess Club - starts Wednesday, September 9th
- National Junior Honor Society
- Debate Club
- Grizzly Growler Press Corps
- Band 2015 - 2016
- Performing Arts Group
- Drama Club
- Art Club
- Student Ambassadors
- Altar Servers and Mass Readers
From the PTU
- General PTU info
- Grizzly Magnets
- Gym Uniform, Sweatshirts, Grizzly Gear orders
- Kid Stuff Coupon Book
From the Parish
- Fall Into Faith with St. Gabriel
- Communal Penance
- St. Vincent DePaul Walk
- Paul Todd Benefit Concert
- BOK Jr. Leadership Club
FROM THE OFFICE
Morning Arrival Procedures -- Safety First
With school now in full swing, we continue to emphasize the safety and operational procedures of Morning Arrival at school. We have created these procedures over the years as proven ways to ensure the safety of all those walking, riding in cars and riding on buses, including students, parents and school staff,m to enter the school campus.
The link below takes you to the procedures and a helpful map of the whole school campus. The following points are especially important"
- Stay within coned paths and drives, whether walking or driving
- If you are walking you child into school you must park first in the church parking log, then walk up to the CROSSWALK.
- Walk in the school front entrance (A3) on the CROSSWALK.
- When dropping your children off at the back door (C9) have children get out only on the school side of the car. Staff will be there to assist you if needed.
- DRIVE SLOW ...........
Read all the directions, for yours and your child's safety, on the following link:Morning Arrival Procedures
St. Gabriel Hot Lunch Program
- Begins Tuesday, September 8
- Operated by Nutrition Services of the Diocese of Cleveland
- $2.75 -- Cost of hot lunch, which includes main course, 2 fruit/vegetables, milk
- Monthly Menu posted on school website
- Point of Sale (POS) system
- A La Carte for cash
- Free or Reduced Price application available
- see Welcome Back Letter and Information for more details and menu
FROM THE SCHOOL
New SGS Blogs!
Apples for Students
Register your Giant Eagle Advantage Card® and use it every time you shop at our stores to raise funds for your school!
Our school code is 2831
It’s Easy to Register!
- Sign in to gianteagle.com or create an account.
- Register your Giant Eagle Advantage Card® online.
- Visit the My School Programs page and enter the code of the school that you’d like to receive points. You can also register to earn points for more than one school! Don’t know your school code? Search for it by name, city or zip code.
- You’re done! Be sure to encourage your family and friends to register, too.
Preventative Lice Check
The clinic is looking for some parent volunteers to help do our preventative lice checks, which take place three times a year (September, January, and final one following spring break).
If interested please e-mail the school nurse at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call the clinic at 354-7866.
Thank you, Colleen Beck
** First head check planned for September 8th and 9th **
Attention: Parents of 7th graders
Thank you to ALL who have already complied. If you have any questions, or uncertain if you already submitted Tdap record, please contact Colleen Beck at 354-7866 or e-mail at: email@example.com.
CLUBS and EXTRACURRICULARS for Building Brain Power
Grizzly Academy--Starts Tuesday, September 8
Grizzly Academy is an excellent opportunity for busy students to complete homework and group work right after school, freeing up precious evening time for family, sports and a myriad of other activities. It also provides peace of mind for parents, knowing their children are supervised by St. Gabriel teachers and studiously completing homework and other academic activities in a quiet environment. Students must arrive at Grizzly Academy ready and willing to work on their school work. If students do not follow the rules they will not be allowed to attend the Grizzly Academy. Please note, this is not a tutoring program.
- Staffed by St. Gabriel School teachers
- Mondays through Thursdays from 2:40 - 4:00
- $8.00 per session
- First Session is Tuesday, September 8, 2015
- Registration Form required
If you have any questions regarding the program, please stop by the office or contact the coordinator, Linda Oster, at firstname.lastname@example.org
CHESS CLUB--September 4 Final Registration for Fall
CHESS CLUB STARTS WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 9TH! It will meet on Wednesdays for 8 weekly sessions after school, starting September 9, from 2:30-4:00pm. Instruction will be provided by Progress With Chess, a local non-profit organization with chess programs in over 50 Northeast Ohio school, including St. Raphael, Communion of Saints, Notre Dame Elementary, St. Dominic, Metro Catholic, St. Ambrose, and Incarnate Word Academy.
All St. Gabriel students, grades K-8, are invited to learn the ancient game of chess. Many studies have shown that playing chess improves higher level thinking skills, such as concentration, pattern recognition, logic and problem solving.
Chess club teaches fundamental knowledge and skills, and then the strategies to use this knowledge and skill. Students start at their own level, and have time to practice, and grow and improve. According to the diversity of skill levels, students will be given individual attention in smaller groups with more than one instructor, allowing better and quicker progress.
- Complete and return this form and payment to Office by Friday September 4
- For information, contact Michel Joelson at email@example.com.
National Junior Honor Society
Membership is open to 7th and 8th grade students who meet the required standards in five areas of evaluation: leadership, service, citizenship, and character. Standards for selection are established by the national office of NJHS, and the St. Gabriel Faculty Council. Students are selected to be members by the 5 member Faculty Council and appointed by the principal.
The students who first meet the scholarship criterion are then invited to complete a Student Activity Information Form that provides the Faculty Council with information regarding the candidate's leadership and service. A history of leadership experiences and participation in school or community service is also required.
- Students with a 3.4 or higher GPA (last year, second semester) are academically eligible and will receive a Student Activity Form and more detailed information by next week.
- The selection process to determine full eligibility begins after the forms are returned..
- A five member Faculty Council reviews all the criteria for membership.
- Membership will be set by late September.
- Induction ceremony will be held in early October.
Once inducted, new members are required to maintain the same level of performance (or better) in all five criteria that led to their selection. This obligation includes regular attendance at chapter meetings help monthly during the school year, full participation in the chapter service project(s), and completion of an individual service project.
- the right kind of physical actions to use
- how to include data in an argument
- how to do a rebuttal correctly
- how to observe and critiques persons in the public arena, such as presidents, and congressmen and congress women.
Debating is also important if students plan to join mock trial club in high school, which competes with other schools in a courtroom setting. Debating is actually used everywhere, and can lead to very heated, but very intellectual conversations with others when it comes to areas such as religion, politics and sports.
The Debate Club will begin this fall, and meet monthly after school throughout the year, from 2:30-3:30pm. and is open to Grades 6, 7, and 8. Parents must pick up students at 3:35pm. For more information, contact Mr. Eric Butler, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grizzly Growler Press Corps
Benefits are strengthening research and writing skills, learning about different aspect of media such as reporting, photography, and graphic design. Student also learn leadership skills and interpersonal skills.
The Grizzly Press Corps will start next Wednesday, September 8, and meet twice a month after school on Wednesdays this year with Ms. O'Neill and Mrs. Glauser monitoring. See Information flyer and registration form below, or contact Mrs, Glauser for more information, at email@example.com
CLUBS and EXTRACURRICULARS for the Creative Artist
TIME TO JOIN BAND!
St. Gabriel School has an excellent, highly reputable, in-school band program for Gr 4-8, through Music Alliance. Please check out our newly updated band website at:
Find out about our wonderful program, watch videos demonstrating all the band instruments, discover links about the importance of music, and more!
Students in 4th and 5th grade can join, and for this year only--even 7th graders can join. Students brand new to the school can inquire also about joining.
Go to the website to find out more and/or email Mrs. Gaeta the band director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7th/8th graders: Band starts the first week of school
Returning 5th/6th graders: Band starts the second week of school
4th/5th grade Beginners: Band starts the week of Sept. 14th
Performing Arts Group
Any students who wish to audition for the school musical are welcome. Auditions will start in November, and rehears this year will be on Monday and Thursday's after school until 4:30. This year's musical will be on April 15th, 16th and 17th. More information will be sent home in October. For more information contact Mrs. Karpuszka at email@example.com.
Drama Club Returns with Treasure Island!
Geauga Lyric Theater Guild is delighted to be able to partner with St. Gabriel Elementary again this year to provide an after school drama club program. The first semester will be for grades 4 & 5 students only. (A second session starting in February will be for grades 2 & 3) We will meet on Mondays after school until 4:30 to prepare the musical Treasure Island to be performed on the Geauga Theater stage in late January. Flyers with additional details and registration forms are available at the school office and in the classroom for those interested.
Deadline : September 9th.
I am excited to be returning and look forward to seeing "old friends" and making new ones!
Julie Douglass from GLTG Education Division
NOTE: "Kids Love Musicals", a drama program and experience for grades 1 and 2, will be coming this fall.
1st Session--Thursdays, 2:30--3:45pm
Oct. 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th & Nov. 5th
Information and Sign Up Form will come out soon!
CLUBS and EXTRACURRICULARS for Spiritual Growth and Service
Students are selected based on responsibility, work ethic, and commitment to being a gracious and welcoming Christ-like servant leader in the school. Contact Mrs. Henrikson at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Mrs. Clarke email@example.com, for more information.
Altar Servers and Mass Readers
Fifth through eighth graders are invited to take training and sign up to be Altar Servers and Mass Readers for school,and also parish Masses. Ms. Maureen Dowd, firstname.lastname@example.org, leads these groups and schedules training through the parish.
EXTRA CURRICULARS for the Athlete
Catholic Youth Organization (CYO)
St. Gabriel's CYO consists of many sports programs. These include:
Football, Cross Country, Volleyball, Basketball, Wrestling, Soccer, Baseball, Fast Pitch Softball, Track, Cheer.
Watch for announcements for sign-ups, or check out the CYO Grizzly website:
CYO GRIZZLY WEBSITE: www.st-gabrielcyo.org
For more information contact: Mike Pecjak, CYO Athletic Director, at email@example.com.
FROM THE PTU
Send payment to Grizzly Den c/o PTU, enclose your students name and homeroom for magnet deliver.
Kid Stuff Coupon Book
idStuff Coupon Books were on the desks of our youngest/only students in each family at Orientation for students in grades K – 5. THANK YOU to those families who have either paid for their books in support of our PTU or have returned them to the school. If you have not already paid for your book or returned it at orientation/sent it in with your child, PLEASE DO SO AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Trying to decide whether or not to purchase the book? Consider the following facts:
*PTU earns half ($12.50!) of the sale of EACH book, which in tern benefits you and your child(ren) through the PTU discounts on field trips, Patterson Family Fun
Night, BINGO night and other great PTU sponsored events.
*There are several coupons offered that earn you the cost of the books back in ONE coupon!
*In addition to the many coupons in support of children/families, there are MANY coupons for many of our (parents’!) favorite retailers, restaurants and activities!
*Purchase or sell 5 books and your original one is FREE! They make great gifts for Christmas, birthdays, a new home or a hostess gift!
If your student(s) are in 6-8th grade and you are interested in purchasing a PTU coupon book, you will receive a flyer sometime next week with regard to how you can order a book OR please email Kate Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our official sale ends Friday, September 11, 2015, although coupon books will be available for purchase through Friday, October 30, 2015.
FROM THE PARISH
BOK Jr Leadership Club
- BOK Jr (Building of the Kingdom Jr) is open to ALL 6th-8th graders in St. Gabriel Parish
- It meets the first Tuesday of each month from 2:30-3:45 in the MPR
- The primary goal of BOK is to help the youth to grow closer to Christ and our community through social, spiritual and service activities. Our foremost focus is SERVICE, and coordinates so well with Pope Francis’ vision of service!
- Each month has a different Service focus and leadership skill taught to the preteens, as well as learning different methods of prayer.
Information and registration will be available on the St. Gabriel School and Parish websites. For any questions, please contact Mary von Carlowitz at email@example.com