~ Hawley Elementary School Newsletter: May 15, 2023 ~
From the Desk of Mr. Moretti.....
Dear Hawley Parents/Guardians, Teachers, and Staff,
Thank you for such love last week for Teacher Appreciation Week. The breakfast, treats, lunch, activities, messages and gifts were amazing. A BIG Thanx to the PTA and all the Parents of Hawley!!!
Buckle up, stay seated, and keep your hands and feet in the car at all times, as you read on to find out What's Happening at Hawley .....
~ Return to Hawley / End of Year ~
This is repeated information but want to make sure everyone is aware ;0)
The Hawley building is on target to be completed in time for the ‘23-’24 school year. We know families are looking forward to returning to Hawley School.
This past year, the school district encountered unforeseeable problems during the moving out of Hawley School and the subsequent set up of the temporary classrooms. Much of the packing occurred while the students were in session. Many of the classrooms were not ready for the start of the school year and parent walkthroughs. Almost all of the necessary professional development time earmarked for teacher learning was leveraged to provide time for unpacking.
Consequently, we wanted to avoid these pitfalls as we approach the start of a new school year.
Connecticut State Statutes require that all public-school districts attend 180 days of school. Newtown Public Schools historically have scheduled 182 days. The Board of Education approved plan would shorten this year’s Hawley school calendar by two days, which are early dismissals (180).
Hawley students' last day of school will be Monday 6/12. This is only Hawley students.
- If needed, Hawley parents may enroll their students in free, optional educational and recreational half day camps which will be provided at the Newtown Community Center on 6/13 and 6/14. Bus transportation and lunch will be provided. Please Click HERE to sign up and participate in the NCC Programs. Please return this form by Friday, May 26, 2023 if you plan on attending this alternative.
- Hawley students attending the Ed Advance before and after school programs will be transported from the morning program at Sandy Hook to the Community Center and they will be transported to Sandy Hook School for the afternoon.
- Teachers and staff will complete the packing of their rooms on 6/13.
- Moving company will move furniture and supplies to Hawley School.
- Teachers will use their last contractual work day to unpack and set up rooms over the summer.
We wanted to provide you with this information in a timely manner, so that you and your family can plan for the end of year activities. We are aware of the inconvenience that this information may cause your family routine. In an effort to support families we worked collaboratively with the Newtown Community Center and our transportation provider to assist families in search of accommodations on 6/13 and 6/14.
We appreciate your understanding and flexibility in this matter. If you have any questions in regards to this letter, please feel free to contact us.
Chris Melillo, Superintendent
Chris Moretti, Principal
~ Art News ~
Each Newsletter, we will Spotlight one of our Specials (Art, Library, Music, Spanish and PE).
Ms. Giddings and Ms. Griffin makes sure that ART is a creative time. Painting, drawing, coloring, clay and so much more. Please Click HERE for the Art Spring Newsletter.
It was wonderful seeing so many families enjoy our Art Show. See some pictures below...
~ Field Day ~
Friday, June 2, is Field Day at REED. As we have done before, all of us will be at Reed for the ENTIRE DAY!!! More information will be coming but buses will drop off and pick up everyone at Reed this day. A Pizza Truck is included as are all the games and special activities, as well as time with Buddy Classes.
Save the Date, and click HERE for the PTA Flyer and Volunteering Information.
~ Grade 4 Spring Concert ~
Our 4th Graders were terrific for their final concert performance as Hawley students. It was so nice to see all the families come out to support the kids. They were wonderful!!
~ PTA Flower Bar ~
Important Reminders / General Info
- iready Testing starts this week. Please make sure that your student gets a good night's sleep, is to school on time, avoid appointments during the day, and that they have a pair of working Headphones. Students in grades 2-4 take the iready tests in reading and math.
- If your family will not be returning to Hawley next year, due to a move or relocation, not a 4th grader going to 5th, please reach out to our office. This helps us prepare for next year (and The Move Back to Hawley)
- Since we are in 2 buildings that students are unfamiliar, and with the end of the day being very busy, we ask that no students be picked up between 3:00-3:25 PM.
- If you are wondering..... ASK!
Dates to Remember
- iready Testing and Make-Ups through Wednesday, May 31
- Wed, May 24: PTA Meeting, Reed Library, 4:30
- Fri, May 26: 3-Hr Early Release Day, Professional Development
- Mon, May 29: NO SCHOOL- Memorial Day
- Thurs, 6/1: 4th Grade Celebration
- Fri, 6/2: Field Day, Reed School
- Monday, June 12: 2-Hr Early Release Day, LAST DAY OF SCHOOL for Hawley students. (Wednesday, June 14 for the rest of Newtown Schools)