Major leaders of the Mauryan Empire
An overview of the 3 Major leaders of the Mauryan leaders
- First leader and founder of the Mauryan empire.
- Centralized and unified the Indian subcontinent
- By the end of his rule he had embraced all of northern India
- He supported the Jainism religion that was prominent at the time
- Ruled from 322- 298 BC
- Bindusara was the son/successor of the great leader Chandragupta Maurya.
- Continued and carried out his fathers rule
- He mainly supported the Azvika relgion
- Records suggest that he had lots of sons that maintained different regions that were in his control
- After he died, his sons went to war and succession occurred
- He ruled from 298 BC – 272 BC.
- Was one of Bindusara's many sons.
- He killed all of his brother for the land and became supreme leader
- He stared many wars with surrounding regions and conquered tons of land
- He considered to be very harsh and cruel in his beginning years
- In his later years he turned to become the first non violent king the world had ever seen
- Instead of supporting war, he has to turned and supported peace, something that had never been done by a king before.
- He heavily supported buddhism and ignited many religious movements
- Ruled from 268-232 BCE