Stoneleigh PTA October Newsletter
October 13, 2023
From the President
Hi Stoneleigh Families!
Thank you to everyone who has joined the PTA this year! Your membership dues will ensure that we will be able to provide all of the programs, events, and activities that the PTA sponsors. We look forward to welcoming you at our upcoming events - the Trunk or Treat on 10/27 and the Stoneleigh Derby on 11/5.
Fall into Reading Festival
Stoneleigh's Fall into Reading Festival is coming up on Tuesday October 17. We are looking for volunteers for this event. Please sign up here if you are able to help.
BCPS Central Elementary Boundary Study
This information has been shared by a Stoneleigh parent who is on the boundary study committee.
- Derby registration is live! We are following a similar trajectory in registrations as we have had in the last 2 years.
- There is a very high correlation between homeroom registration and teachers that send out communications.
- In addition to the registrations, we have introduced the cheering section. The cheering sections are broken down by grade there is an option to add a donation to the registration and there is an option to send the link out to non-registrants (grandparents, neighbors, etc). So far the cheering sections have raised $1,196.43. We are hopeful that this number will continue to rise! Please continue to spread the word about this new element of the Derby. It has the potential to raise a lot of extra money for the PTA.
- We have had a lot of success adding the volunteer sign-up to other registrations directly.
- We are hoping to add some extra incentive to allow staff to attend by giving teachers/staff who attend the event a raffle ticket. Registration is not required to be entered in the raffle -- only attendance. Two teachers/staff will win $100 to be used for classroom supplies of the winner's choosing.
- We are shifting the course a bit to accommodate for the field being torn up. The finish line will most likely be in the parking lot in front of the school. We will continue to have the little sibs sprint on grass for safety.
- We are also adding some more pomp and circumstance to the event including a live DJ.
Family Socials Committee
- The Family Socials Committee is preparing for the Trunk-or-Treat on Friday, October 27, 6-8 P.M.
- The event will feature a Glow Party from 6-8 P.M. in the circle and trunk-or-treating in the parking lot from 6-7 P.M.
- We are excited to have 6 sponsors committed to our Trunk-or-Treat this year, allowing us to provide all candy for the event.
- While we currently have 13 trunk hosts for the event, we are seeking a few more! Candy is fully covered and we have trunk kits to use if needed. Sign up at
- To facilitate an environment inclusive for all Stoneleigh Students, the first thirty minutes of the event will be low-sensory (no strobing lights or loud music), we will have a sensory safe space by the Kindergarten entrance, accessible parking will be available in the small parking lot by the cafeteria, and candy alternative treats will be available for students who need this accommodation at every trunk.
The 5th Grade Yearbook Cover Contest is BACK! We are inviting all 5th grade students to enter their artwork in our annual yearbook cover contest. Winning designs will be selected in a vote to be displayed on the front and back covers. All designs should be submitted to the school office. There will be a labeled bin in the office for 5th grade yearbook submissions. The due date is Monday, Oct 23rd.
Morning Mile Committee
We had a great launch to Morning Mile last week and are getting into a rhythm. We will be working on details of the classroom challenge in the coming week that we'll launch via teachers and Facebook. Stay tuned for details.
DEI Committee Updates:
The Cultural Celebration planning committee needs you! If you would like to help plan the second annual event, please reach out to Kerri Cohen: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join the DEI Committee's monthly meeting on Tuesday, October 17th at 6:30pm! Please email us at email@example.com for location info.