GES Staff Update-Week of 5/9/16
STAAR Testing Reminders
Our third, fourth and fifth grade students will be taking their STAAR tests this week! Please be sure to keep this information in your newsletters and/or parent communication sharing that GES will be a closed campus to all visitors and volunteers on May 9-11. Please keep in mind this includes lunch visitors for students of all ages.
As a reminder, the following classrooms/areas are closed due to STAAR testing:
Learning Commons; KGES; Science Lab; Boone's classroom; BOTH computer labs; Speech office; technician's office; Vasquez/Kunkel's classroom; 3-5th grade classrooms; Bravo's classroom; Geider's classroom; Sutton's classroom; Horn's office
As you can see, we have testers in every possible nook, cranny and classroom. This will make transitions even trickier. Thank you for pulling out all of your tricks to keep your students super quiet in the halls on these days. The hallway doors by the Science Lab should only be used in case of an emergency during testing. We appreciate your efforts to maintain a quiet testing environment for our testing students!
*Please see your STAAR Memo for other details and reminders.
**On testing days, May 9-11, please notify Liz and Kim if you need to be absent or are running late. Please remember, all substitute teachers in the building will need to receive STAAR security training before starting their day.
Surveys, Surveys, Surveys!
- Learning Commons survey. Please complete by Sunday, 5/15. http://goo.gl/forms/LZPnjXSdnN
- GES Teacher Feedback on Campus Literacy Intervention survey. Please complete by Wednesday, 5/11. http://goo.gl/forms/xy5PjMUOhl
- Humanities Department survey (3 questions) Please complete by Sunday, 5/15. https://docs.google.com/a/gcisd.net/forms/d/1DgCbMLXzUsMcKL2e_sh2zjWTfx7NsfQALc1-eUGgmHw/viewform?c=0&w=1
If you teach Humanities, please plan to attend one of the curriculum overview sessions:
- Don't forget to start registering for summer workshops. A few important updates have been made to the Humanities Smore. They've added a GT 6 hour update credit option to the Humanities Institute (June 6-9). Two hours of the update will take place during the institute on June 9 and those who wish to complete the 6 hours of annual credit will receive an outside assignment to complete and submit.
- Check out the new Math Message Smore: https://www.smore.com/shyve
My companies Foundation (they are a separate 501), as part of our give back to organizations in the education, non-profit and disaster relief work with lots of providers to provide free resources to organizations in these verticals. So far we’ve released www.DisasterReady.org (open to the general public) and www.NonprofitReady.org (open to any nonprofit) as a free resource of tools, training, etc. to help support their initiatives. We are in the process of finishing up TeachingReady.org and need some help in picking content categories and some other areas. Would you mind seeing if any of your teachers would take a couple minutes to complete this 4 question survey monkey on what they think would be of value to active, new and aspiring teachers as resources? https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7XG8NHR (Note: This isn’t tied to anything sales and doesn’t even require name, email or any unique identifiers. .We just need real world educators to help guide us in the right direction)
Thanks for considering offering your suggestions to this organization.
Summer Learning Opportunities
- Professional learning for science this summer can be found at: https://docs.google.com/a/gcisd.net/document/d/1U0SqQmuuLPI4IN8IKg8krsmrScUmBr0Mk5jJ8IUSXws/edit?usp=sharing (each campus is encouraged to send one person per grade level to Inquiry and one person per grade level to Science CIEs refresh)
- Looking to plan your summer professional learning? Check out the summer learning opportunities s'more and register soon to get your choice of upcoming workshops. This newsletter contains links to ALL SUBJECT AREA TRAININGS! https://www.smore.com/g7fy6
- GCISD Instructional Technology is hosting a conference for teachers on Tuesday, June 14 at CHHS. George Couros will be the keynote speaker. He is an accomplished author, speaker, and consultant in regards to innovation in education. After the keynote, teachers will attend choice sessions. This is a great opportunity for summer learning and for all teachers to share the amazing things they're doing with technology in their classrooms. For more information check out this site: https://sites.google.com/a/gcisd.net/innovative-teaching-with-technology-conference/
- Be sure to check out the calendar Nancy Hale has created mapping out opportunities we know about you may want to consider! https://docs.google.com/a/gcisd.net/document/d/1yxMVmM7vsjnN8kHDf4XMavQAghCS_2l2_yIWmRn7V28/edit?usp=sharing
Monday, 5/9 NO Monday Morning Math Lab due to STAAR; Ensemble practice (2:45-3:45pm); WOW Garden Club (2:45-4:00pm)
Monday, 5/9-Wednesday, 5/11 STAAR testing; Wise Guys Pizza fundraiser for 5th grade (all day)
Tuesday, 5/10 Team Leader meeting (3:10pm in the Learning Commons)
Wednesday, 5/11 National School Nurses Day
Thursday, 5/12 1:1 PLCs; Ensemble practice (2:45-3:45pm); Deadline for the 25/100 Book Challenge
Friday, 5/13 Library books are due! *NOTICE: date change from previous newsletter
Friday, 5/13 K-5 Assembly for Charlie Brown performance (1:30pm)
Monday, 5/16 & Tuesday, 5/17 May RtI meetings
Monday, 5/16 Assessment & data entry: Kinder AM, 3rd PM; Ensemble practice (2:45-3:45pm)
Tuesday, 5/17 Assessment & data entry: 1st AM, 4th PM; Faculty Meeting (3:10pm)
Wednesday, 5/18 Assessment & data entry: 2nd AM, 5th PM; Wildlife Speaker at 1:30pm; KC Club (2:45-3:30pm); **No NEHS meeting
Thursday, 5/19 Kindergarten Success Ceremony; Ensemble rehearsal (1:45-3:45pm)
Monday, 5/23 Monday Morning Math Lab (7:15-7:40am); Career Day; Ensemble rehearsal (1:45-3:45pm); WOW Garden Club (2:45-4:00pm); Ensemble Performance (6:30pm) DATE CHANGE!
Tuesday, 5/24 2nd grade Success Ceremony (8:00am in Cafeteria); Ensemble performance streamed at 9:30am; Year in Review meeting for Team Leaders (11:15-3:30pm)
Wednesday, 5/25 1st grade Success Ceremony (8:00am in Cafeteria)
Thursday, 5/26 Field Day
Friday, 5/27 Bad weather make up day-NO SCHOOL!
Monday, 5/30 Memorial Day holiday
Tuesday, 5/31 3rd grade Success Ceremony (8:00am in Cafeteria); Class placement meetings during conference times (3rd grade at 3:10)
Wednesday, 6/1 4th grade Success Ceremony (8:00am in Cafeteria)
Thursday, 6/2 All school Sing Along( 8:00am in the Cafeteria); 5th grade Success Ceremony & Graduation (9:45am in Cafeteria)
Thursday, 6/2 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL & Early dismissal at 11:45am
Where We Will Be...
- Monday, 5/9 Heather out (10am-12:30pm)
- Thursday, 5/12 Heather out (7:45am-1:15pm)
- Friday, 5/13 Liz out (8:30-10am); Gina out (11:00am-3:00pm)
Monday Message to Parents
Disclaimer: It will be a work in progress until late Sunday night!!
Information From Angela Horn
Back to School Fair
Good morning GCISD Friends! We are excited to announce that GCISD is once again partnering with the community to serve our economically disadvantaged students. The fifth-annual Back to School Fair is scheduled for Saturday, August 6, from 8 a.m.-Noon at Grapevine High School. This is a collaborative event sponsored by GCISD, CONNECT and the Grapevine-Colleyville Education Foundation, and the Women's Division of the Grapevine Chamber of Commerce. Last year, with support of our staff and community, these organizations provided free backpacks, school supplies and other back-to-school needs to more than 1,600 GCISD students. Our goal this year is to continue to serve those who qualify for the event!
**Volunteers and donations are needed! If you are interested in volunteering, please use this link to sign up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0f4aafaa22aafc1-back or if you would like more information, please contact Emberly Hill at email@example.com.
Grapevine Elementary PTA is again offering convenient one-stop-shopping for your child’s 2016-2017 school supplies through our vendor EPI. Each grade supply list, K through 5th, is teacher-approved and custom packed for your student! We have made every effort to contain costs to provide this optional, cost effective school supply option. All you have to do is order online! You may start placing online orders on Tuesday, May 3. LAST DAY TO ORDER IS JUNE 10!
Online Orders Only:
To try and go green, Grapevine Elementary is offering secure online ordering only.
1. Go to www.epipacks.com
2. Enter school id GRA044
3. Follow the directions or steps to complete your order
4. Please remember to order your child’s grade for NEXT school year!
Packs will be in your child’s classroom on Meet the Teacher Night in August.
Kindergarten - $27.58
First Grade - $46.26
Second Grade - $34.65
Third Grade - $35.97
Fourth Grade - $40.61
Fifth Grade - $41.72**Contact Leslie Nicholson at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- Lesson plans, or links to your plans, should be saved to our Google drive folder in the GES Faculty and Staff folder:http://bit.ly/1LqQ4sg
- Newsletters, or links to newsletters, should be saved to the Google drive folder in GES Faculty and Staff: http://bit.ly/1MAJbWP