School Nutrition Newsletter
August 12, 2020
Don't Forget! School Re-Entry Guidance and Updates for School Nutrition Programs 2020 - 2021
Important! IDOE might be reaching out to your school about specific students and their free and reduced statuses based on last year's eligibility to determine P-EBT benefits. It is acceptable to work with IDOE staff to supply free and reduced information for P-EBT. Questions? Contact Sarah Kenworthy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Updates and Reminders
August Direct Certification (DC) Data
- Sponsors can now download their Direct Certification (DC) match list for August.
- If a sponsor pulled their list on or before August 4, please make sure to go back into the DC system and run another match since additional data was received from FSSA over several days at the beginning of the month.
- Confirm that the school's Real Time (RT) or Enrollment and Mobility (EM) Report is updated in the STN App Center, this will ensure the DC download includes the most current student enrollment.
- Increasing the number of DC matches is a way to reduce the administrative burden of processing applications and potentially reduce meal charge debt.
- The following are a few ways to maximize the DC process:
- Run DC Matches at least once a month after confirming that the school's RT or EM Report is updated in the STN App Center, this will ensure the DC download includes the most current student enrollment.
- Conduct DC Lookup with every newly transferred student.
- Perform DC Lookup with every categorical application.
- In addition to the Standard Match List, ensure the No County, Extended, and Unmatched Case Sibling Matches are being downloaded.
- Questions about DC? Use the DC/DV Help Form and check out DC website for helpful resources.
- Sponsors do not need to submit a permanent agreement addendum, free and reduced price policy statement, or procurement plan. These were collected last year by the state agency and will not be collected for PY 2021 renewal.
- Box #14 should be completed with information as to how your school will be operating this year for meal service, including if meals will be served on-site, off site, or a combination of both.
- The 504 Coordinator for a school is typically not the Food Service Director. Under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, each school district that receives federal financial assistance must designate at least one employee to coordinate the district’s compliance with its responsibilities under Section 504. Typically, this individual is employed under special education, counseling, or some other administrative position.
- For more information, please review past newsletters.
- Questions? Contact us via the CNPweb Help Form.
inTEAM Website Updates and Reminders
- IDOE is aware that some sponsors are having issues with logging in or not being able to find certain courses on the inTEAM site. If you are experiencing login issues or courses are not available that should be, such as the civil rights course, please contact Rachel Beach with inTEAM at Rachel@e-inteam.com.
- Not sure which courses are available for you to take? Click here for the inTEAM user guide on which courses should be available to you and your school.
- Don't forget! All sponsors are required to complete civil rights training each program year, which can be found on inTEAM.
- One person is required to view the civil rights training and take a quiz on inTEAM. That person must then train any other staff that work with the Child Nutrition Programs.
- A printable PowerPoint, script, and post-test of the training are also available to use to train other staff.
- Remember to record the date the training took place, the names of staff that attended, and all of the topics covered.
- Questions about civil rights? Contact Maggie Schabel at email@example.com.
Nutrition News Bites Webinar
- Nutrition News Bites Webinars are back!
- The next Nutrition News Bite Webinar will be Wednesday, August 26 at 2:00 p.m.
- Make sure to join IDOE as we go over updates, reminders, news, and important due dates.
- Also, as a reminder, IDOE will answer live questions during this webinar as well.
- Click here to register.
Verification Webinar Series
- IDOE is excited to bring you a four part webinar series on Verification.
- This series will cover the Verification process including preparing, processing, and reporting, as well as, Verification for Cause.
- Click here for more information and to register.
- Questions? Contact Allie Caito-Sipe at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Free Virtual Leadership Training
- IDOE is hosting a FREE virtual opportunity for Indiana school leaders, including food service directors, led by Dr. Adam Saenz, titled, The Art and Science of Emotionally Intelligent Leadership.
- The Office of Social, Emotional, and Behavioral Wellness is accepting applications through August 14, to participate in one of two sessions.
- The morning session is from 8-9:30 (EDT). The afternoon session will be held from 3-4:30 (EDT).
- The sessions will take place August 24, 25, and 26.
- To be eligible for this opportunity, participants must be able to attend all three dates during the selected time.
Virtual Reimbursable Meals Training with the Institute of Child Nutrition (ICN) and IDOE
- IDOE is excited to bring ICN's Reimbursable Meals training back again this year on Tuesday, August 25!
- This four hour training provides general concepts to help directors, managers, and school nutrition staff understand the requirements for reimbursable meals under the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program, including lessons on offer vs. serve and activities to help you identify a reimbursable meal.
- Attendees will be mailed materials prior to attending a virtual training.
- Click here for more information and to register.
- Spots are limited, so make sure you register soon!
- Questions? Contact the training team at SCNTrainings@doe.in.gov.
No Kid Hungry (NKH) Webinar Series
To support your efforts for this school year, NKH is also providing a back to school webinar series featuring community partners and local champions.
The No Kid Hungry Indiana “Thursday 30” Back to School webinar series will cover the following topics:
- Meals in the Classroom Best Practices - September 3 at 2 p.m. ET
- Grab and Go Meals Best Practices - September 10 at 2 p.m. ET
- Mobile Meals Best Practices - September 17 at 2 p.m. ET
- Handling Burnout in School Food Service - September 24 at 2 p.m. ET
Register for the “Thursday 30” series here.
Indiana Department of Education - School and Community Nutrition
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this newsletter, please contact Allie Caito-Sipe at email@example.com, call (317) 232-0849, or toll-free at 1-800-537-1142 ext. 20849, or contact Ashley Heller at firstname.lastname@example.org, call (317) 232-0544, or toll-free at 1-800-537-1142 ext. 20544.
Miss a Weekly School Nutrition Newsletter? Click here to access previous newsletters!
Was the newsletter forwarded to you? Want to add other employees to receive the newsletter? Click here to be added to the contact list.