JAMMU AND KASHMIR
BY MANALI DHARMENDRA YELVE:10-B
FLOODS IN THE JAMMU AND KASHMIR!!!
THE CAUSES OF THE FLOOD
Some officials also said that in the last 100 years, more than 50 percent of lakes, ponds and wetlands of Srinagar have been encroached upon for constructing buildings and roads. The banks of the Jhelum river have been taken over in a similar manner, vastly reducing the river's drainage capacity which thereby causes such devastating floods.
COULD THIS DEVASTATING FLOOD BE AVOIDED?
The floods were also caused by the improper management of the Government as they turned a deaf ear to the warnings that the climate change can affect India too.
HOW COULD THE GOVERNMENT HELP??
- Firstly,the government should have launched proper weather forecasting systems all over the country,
- Secondly,as it is said in many news reports,the government would have saved more than 200 lives if they did not ignore the weather forecasting systems available in Jammu and Kashmir,
- Thirdly,one of the causes that not only has been a reason of devastation in India but also to a lot many other countries i.e more and more increasing urbanization could be prevented by the government,
- Fourthly,holding meetings with state officials discussing about such states that are endangered to natural calamities,
- Fifthly,coordinating the endangered states to act as per the government orders to prevent mass destruction.
- Sixthly,improve good technology that is disaster-proof,and can help people survive.
How has this natural disaster affected our Indian economy??
Other than these important things, the high-cost infrastructures like roads,bridges,railways,trains,buses,etc. have also contributed to the big damage in our economy.