COSEM Equity-Based Convo
How Mindfulness Fits Into Education in our Current Reality
Thanks to Tovi, Tracy & COSEM for having me as the special guest for this month's Equity-Based Conversation.
Immediately below are resources from our conversation and more to support your personal practice and implementing with students.
Educator, Author, Mindfulness Specialist
- Free app subscriptions for educators -- Headspace & MyLife (formerly Stop Breathe Think)
- Suggested Daily Practice -- A document I created focused on personalized practice
Mindful of Equity
- Austin ISD Equity Office
- National Equity Project
- Free download of Racial Healing Allies: A Useful Tool in How Racial Autobiographies Can Heal Us At Work And In Life by Tovi Scruggs-Hussein and 18 others (including yours truly) :)
- Equity image & Mindful of Inquiry questions see below...
Implementation (synchronous or asynchronous)
- Quick Mindfulness for Stress Relief
- "Today's Mindful Moment" videos & more from Austin ISD
- Physical & Mental Health Menu -- A document I created to help with being intentional about our physical and mental health care. Document is in English & Spanish. Shout out to Guerrero-Thompson 4th & 5th grade teachers for translating the doc in Spanish.
- 10 Suggestions for Mindfulness Implementation image see below...
Science & Research
- Vagus Nerve Survival Guide from Psychology Today
- Mindfulness Research from Mindful Schools
- Breathing science:The Influence of Breathing on the Nervous System from PubMed Central
- Gratitude research article from NPR
- "How Stress Affects Your Brain" TedEd video by Madhumita Murgia
- Nine Ways Mindfulness Reduces Stress article by Shamash Alidina
Professional (& Personal) Inspirations
Newsletter Sign Up & Additional Support
James Butler, M.Ed.
Founder of Mindful Classrooms, LLC
Author of Mindful Classrooms: Daily 5-Minute Practices to Support Social-Emotional Learning and Coloring Book and Reflections for Social-Emotional Learning
Austin ISD SEL Mindfulness Specialist
2014 Austin ISD Teacher of the Year