Weekly Happenings at Southeastern Elementary
Welcome to the October 9, 2020, edition of Southeastern Scene.
Dear Southeastern Families:
It is our vision to build our learning community with our teachers, students and families. When we collaborate together as a learning community, we help promote a more positive learning environment for our students. One way we do this is through positive language development to promote better awareness. Please see the example below of one way we will use dialogue here at school to help our students become problem solvers. We are sharing with you so that you may promote problem solving in the same way outside of school.
Yours in Education,
Mrs. Chastain and Mrs. Monkul
Thanksgiving Assistance Distribution from Good Samaritan Network (GSN)
This year’s annual Thanksgiving Assistance for Hamilton County residents, which includes distribution of food boxes and baskets, will be held on November 21st from 9am-3pm.
Location: Hamilton County 4H Fairgrounds, Noblesville, IN. A “Holiday Assistance” application is required. Applications should be completed online (www.gsnlive.org) as soon as possible, or contact the Good Samaritan Network office (317.842.2603). One application, completed annually, can be used for Thanksgiving Assistance and/or Christmas Assistance.
Thanksgiving Day FREE Meal - 3 Locations
A Thanksgiving Day sit-down meal is provided at various Hamilton County sites from 11am-2pm. Staging and venue locations include:
Noblesville - White River Christian Church, 11am-2pm
Sheridan – Sheridan Community Center, 11am-2pm
Fishers - St.Louis de Montfort, 11am-2pm
All locations include a FREE sit down meal without reservations. At the Noblesville and Sheridan locations carry out will also be available. All assistance is first-come-first served.
Jennifer A. Smith
Important Upcoming Dates
- Friday, October 9th, deadline to order PTO spirit wear.
- Friday, October 9th, end of quarter 1.
- Thursday, October 15th, report cards posted to family Skyward accounts.
- Monday, October 19th, through Friday, October 23th, fall break. No School.
- Monday, November 2nd, school picture day (please see additional information below).
- Wednesday, November 25th, through Friday, November 27th, Thanksgiving break. No School.
Our quarter ends on Friday 10/9. Report cards will be available on Thursday 10/15. You can view your student’s report card by logging into Skyward Family Access, opening the portfolio section, and opening your PDF. This year is a bit different for us as we navigate Quarter 1 assessments.
- Quarter 1 represents skills or concepts that are introduced or marked at the introductory level. These concepts will be further developed over the course of the year.
- Any area indicators left blank have not yet been assessed. These will be assessed in quarters 2, 3 and 4.
- The Learner Characteristics section of the report card represents personal work habits or social skills. We have not yet assessed most of these as students have been learning virtually for a portion of our first quarter.
- Science and social studies indicators are not marked for the first semester as our focus towards assessment from spring into this winter will be on reading, writing and math. Science and social studies concepts are certainly integrated into our core subject areas. However, the assessment of science and social studies will be noted in our second semester.
- Our related arts classes will be using a participation grading scale. This will be marked at the semester.
Breakfast includes- meat/meat alternative, fruit, milk
Lunch includes- meat/meat alternative, grain, fruit, vegetable, milk
K-4 portion size for meat/meat alternative, fruit, vegetable is 4 oz
- Due to the later start time for Elementary, we will not be serving breakfast at this time.
- A lunch “Meal Deal” includes: choice of an entrée, fruit, vegetable, milk
- Lunches (Meal Deal) will be free for ALL students until Dec. 31, 2020 or until funds run out.
- Extra fruit, vegetable may be purchased by everyone
Extra entrée may be purchased by 4th graders.
- Students will need lunch money in their accounts to purchase extras.
- Gluten-Free lunch options are available. Contact me if your student needs GF lunches.
This next week is week 2 for the school menu (please see menu below)
Dismissal Manager Effective Immediately
Southeastern Elementary is utilizing Dismissal Manager again for daily dismissal changes. Each family received specific login credentials from Dismissal Manager (please look for email from Dismissal Manager). Please make sure that this information is current and up-to-date, because this is how we dismiss your students each day. If you do not have this information current, your child may not get home correctly. If you need to change your student's regular dismissal for that day, you will need to log in to your Dismissal Manager account and make the necessary changes by 2:00 p.m. A list will be generated before the end of the school day with all of the dismissal changes for that day. A link to Dismissal Manager can be found on the Southeastern Elementary website at the quick links section on the bottom right. You can also access Dismissal Manager by clicking below. Questions? Please contact the front office at 317-594-4340.
Updated arrival and dismissal procedures
As we reflect on the arrival and dismissal procedures, we wanted to thank you for your patience and attention to safety. We have a few updates and important reminders to share moving forward:
- Once the SES lot is full, overflow traffic will be directed to Cytheanne Park. You will wait here until you are directed to go across by a police officer.
- Please use a single lane as you enter the SES parking lot. Please see attached map to note where the double lines begin.
- Make sure that your child is aware and ready with materials to hop out of the car for arrival.
- Students may only enter or exit car on to the sidewalk, not grassy area.
- During arrival and dismissal, please pull your vehicle up as close as you can to the car in front of you.
- It is important that all parents stay in their car.
Thank you for helping our SES staff and families be safe!
Students are asked to stay home from school if any symptoms of illness are present. Please see below for at-home screening steps:
School Picture Day
Mrs. Bleill's gym class
Mrs. Bill's class enjoyed parachute time in gym class.
Ms. Stein's class
Students are working together to grow Zinnias, Marigolds and Cosmos.
Mrs. Vogel's Class
Second grade students explore at recess looking for and learning about grasshoppers.
Mrs. Boyd's Class
A student in Mrs. Boyd's class explores the size and texture of a sunflower.
Mrs. Thompson's Class
School Resource Officer Williams answers questions from kindergarten students about our ALiCE drill.
Mrs. Huffer's class
Mrs. Huffer's students' did a "Gallery Walk," where they study each other's writing and write down what they notice each "author" doing.
Mrs. Thompson's Class
Lost and Found
Virtual students are being offered two enrichment sessions per day:
- The first enrichment session will begin at 1:45 and is divided by grade level groups. K-2 or 2-4. Please choose the one you feel best fits your learner.
- The second enrichment session will begin at 2:30 and is open to all grade levels.
Students can access these virtual sessions through the Library course on their Canvas dashboard. There they will find the button (see button image below) to take them to the Zoom links for each day.
Front Office Procedures
Parents, please notify the front OFFICE in regards to absences and late arrivals. You can leave a message on our attendance line by calling (317) 594-4340. Please leave detailed information, including student's first and last names with spelling, teacher's name, grade, and reason for the absence or late arrival. If late arrival, please include approximate time student will be arriving.
Leaving early for appointment
If student needs to leave early for any reason, only family and individuals listed on the student's approved Skyward list can pick up the student. In the student's Skyward account, under the "Family" and "Emergency Contact" tabs, you may list people approved by you to pick up your student. Those individuals MUST show a valid driver's licence when picking up the student. When arriving, please ring the silver button to the immediate left of the glass door closest to the front office. We must limit the number of non-staff inside the building. Please wait inside the vestibule while we get your student for you.
If a student forgets an item at home and a parent needs to drop off that item after school has begun, that item may be dropped off in the front office vestibule. There is a table right inside the first set of doors on which you can place the item. Please have student's first and last names, and teacher's name, on the item and we will deliver it to the student.