Your Weekly Update from Johnson Elementary School
Dear Johnson Families,
Our teachers have been sharing messages about a”Growth Mindset” during these opening weeks of school. I have included two visuals below to help highlight some of the messages that demonstrate the important work outlined by Dr. Carol Dweck in her book “Growth Mindset.”
I would like to share this mantra “Change your words – Change your mindset.” Below the statements (on white paper) reflect a “Fixed Mindset” with the statements (on color paper) positive statements that reflect a “Growth Mindset.”
During this first unit on “Self Awareness” our students are learning about the significance of developing a “Growth Mindset.” The bulletin board display pictured below is located in the hallway leading to our gym. It highlights statements that are examples of language that reflects “Growth Mindset.” These are phrases that you can use with your child.
BOKS will run every Tuesday and Thursday morning from 7:30-8:10am. The Session starts on September 20th and ends on December 8th. The BOKS program allows students to participate in breakfast and transition to their classroom. Cost is $60! PLEASE COMPLETE THE REGISTRATION FORM ASAP. ENROLLMENT IS LIMITED.
- September 1 - October 30: Paw print campaign
- September 12 -30: Food drive for the Natick Service Council
- Wednesday, October 5th - School closed in observance of Yom Kippur
- Monday, October 10 - School closed in observance of Columbus Day/Indigenous People's Day
- Saturday, October 15th - Johnson School Fall FUN Fair - 12:00-3:00
- Wednesday, October 26th - Early Release Day - Dismissal 12:15pm
- Wednesday, November 2nd - Early Release PK and Elementary ONLY!
- Friday, November 11th - Schools closed in observance of Veteran's Day
- Wednesday, November 16th - Early Release - CONFERENCES, PRE-K, Elementary, Middle ONLY
- Wednesday, November 23rd - Early Release Day - THANKSGIVING - 12:15 pm Dismissal
- Thursday and Friday Nov. 24 & Nov. 25 - School Closed for Thanksgiving
- Monday, November 28th - ALL SCHOOLS CLOSED - District wide Professional Development!
FIVE Things You Need to Know
1 - MESSAGE FROM ANNA: Our K-12 Wellness Staff have developed these age-appropriate brochures for students and families so we can support the health of our kids! Please discuss these recommendations with your student(s) and how school and home can play a role in supporting their total overall health and wellness. Stay tuned for some community forums on our social-emotional learning programs and whole-child wellness supports and teaching.
This week, I have had a few queries about the teaching of gender identity in schools. Since I will not be writing my superintendent blast until October 15 and knowing that National Coming Out Day is October 11, 2022, I wanted to give families information about the school district's obligations and core values around ensuring safety, inclusion and belonging for ALL of our students in their wide demonstration of the variation of the human condition.
2 - Breakfast and Lunch is free to all students this school year. Even though meals are free to students all year, we ask that you do fill out an application because you may qualify families for additional supports.
Complete your Free and Reduced Meal application today.
3 - REMINDER FOR PARENTS WHO WANT TO VOLUNTEER - Volunteer--CORI Checks
If you want to volunteer in schools, you must have a CORI check conducted and you must go into the building with identification (drivers license or passport) to do this. Click here for description of what a CORI check is and does. Without a CORI check, you cannot volunteer in the school. Here is the form to fill out for a CORI.
4 - REQUIRED YEARLY FORMS
You should have received an email from PowerSchool to complete your required yearly forms. If you did not receive an email please reach out to the main office or check your SPAM folder. We still have several families that have not completed these forms. PLEASE COMPLETE THESE ASAP!
5 - FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
We have a range of financial supports available in the Natick Public Schools. This includes assistance with school fees, such as the bus and picture day, scholarships for programs such as the Book Fair and connections to community resources that may be helpful. If you are interested in these programs, please contact Laura Loftus, our school counselors, to have a private conversation. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Johnson Fall Fun Fair! Saturday, October 15th ~ 12:00-3:00PM
Speak Up, Natick!
Send us your questions or ideas via Speak Up, Natick!
Bullying Incident Report
Use this form to report a bullying incident.
View the latest COVID-19 updates from NPS.
- Title I: Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990Title II
- Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990Title VI
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964Title IX
- Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972
- MGL, Ch.76, Section 5: Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 76, Section 5