7 July Newsletter
7th July 2022
Leadership Team message from Jonathan R
Kia ora koutou,
The end of term two [rua] is here and I still find it hard to wrap my head around the fact that half of the year is gone already. This term has seen some teams and children engage in offsite experiences at the Zoo, Museum, and theatre. We hope to continue these experiences into next term, and with your support as parent/caregiver help, we will be able to. We are also slowly re-engaging with other offsite activities in the sporting realm and this week we have had Rubgy and Rippa trials held at school.
In 2017 the Board and leadership team started a review process of our administration team and with a change of Principal and then COVID-19 we have only just completed the consultation process and started the change process. You will see more about this in the latest Board News.
We say farewell this term to two long-standing office staff, Zoe and Sue and we wish them all the best in the future. We thank them for their service to our community and know they will leave gaps in our admin team.
All staff who applied for positions within the new structure have been successful. Congratulations to Karen Brunton our new Resource and Administration Service Co-ordinator and Chriss Bus for her appointment to Personal Assistant to the Principal and Senior Leadership Team. We will be advertising shortly to fill three other positions Executive Officer [full-time], Receptionist [full-time - 35 hours a week] and Attendance Officer [part-time - 10 hours a week]. Please look out for these adverts if this is something that may interest you or you know someone suitable.
Thank you for all your support this term and for helping us keep our children and staff safe. We will be continuing with masks onsite next term [staff and adults] and we will update you if we receive more MoE and MoH advice. Masks are freely available to all children and are strongly encouraged for those in years 4-6. The MoE has provided us with 50 child-sized masks per child for the next term.
School finishes at 3:00pm tomorrow and reopens again on Monday the 25th July at 8:30am [gates] and class at 8:50am. We wish you a restful and safe July school break and look forward to seeing you all refreshed and rejuvenated in a few weeks.
Stay well, stay safe, and be kind.
Principal | Tumuaki
This term has been full on with travelwise activities. Our awesome travelwise leaders have held a poster competition, promoted safe crossing using the lights, checked the speed of cars around our school and helped to promote the Walking School Bus. Next term we are looking forward to our 'Slow down around schools' promotions as well as some wheel days.
Walking School Bus Update: FOWLDS AVE WSB - WE HAVE LIFT OFF!
Do you want to reduce the congestion outside the school, help the environment, meet new people and get fit? Then, the perfect solution is the Walking School Bus (WSB).
If you’re interested in joining the Fowlds Ave WSB, please email James Avis who is the coordinator of the route. email@example.com
The Fowlds Ave WSB launched their route on Thursday 30 June. The bus stops are as follows:
· 8.10am- 48 Taumata Road
· 8.15am- 92/107 Fowlds Ave
· 8.25am- 2 Hazelmere Road
· 8.30am – arrival at school via Shorwell Street (walkway adjacent to KiNZ Sandringham Early Learning Centre.
PS: Initially this route would only be walking on a Thursday and Friday morning and if there is additional parental support, it could potentially run every morning.
Watch this space for the launch of another route via the front entrance of Edendale School.
Eden Albert and other activities
In terms 3 and 4, Year 5 and 6 students will be able to participate in the upcoming Eden Albert competitions: rugby and netball in term 3 and softball and athletics, later in term 4. We are also privileged to have NZ Wushu providing free wushu lessons in term 3 to all our tamariki from Year 1 to Year 6. In addition, M Sport Football will be back at our school next term to provide football coaching (more information will be available next term).
International students at Edendale
We welcome International Students (short and long term).
As New Zealand’s borders are reopening throughout 2022, Edendale School is keen to welcome international students as the experience enriches our school culture.
If you have families and friends back in your home countries who may be interested, please visit our school website under International Students http://www.edendale.school.nz/international-students-information contact for further information firstname.lastname@example.org
Edendale Primary School Board Elections
Nominations are invited for the election of five board members to the Edendale Primary School Board. Nominations can be made online at any time, or forms are available from the school office. www.myschoolelection.nz
From Colour Runs…
- The colour runs raised a total of $11,868, which is amazing, and a massive boost to the resources for the structured literacy programme this year. And wasn’t it great, as parents, to get back into school, talk to other parents, and see our kids having fun?
- A massive shout out to all the kids for their sponsorship efforts. Taking out the win though, raising $3,483 was Mahi Tahi. Bravo everyone, and thank you!
… to tasty treats at the Bake Sale
- Speaking of getting back into school, we also want to thank everyone involved in our first Bake Sale of the year. Rooms 26 and 29 baked, decorated, sold and raised a grand total of $532. We sold out so quickly that we know they were missed.
- We also know that not everyone got the chance of a yummy treat, so next time we’ll look at ways to get more treats and more tables. We are always looking at ways to make the events work for everyone, so a big thank you to those who shared feedback and ideas.
- We are thrilled to share that the PTA position of Bake Sale Marshall has been filled, so we can look forward to more of these events in 2022.
What’s on in Term 3?
- Term 3? Already? Wow, OK, it’s riddle/hint time... My art is my gift.
Finally, there are some new faces, come and join us…
- We meet once a month during term time, and put on events that the children love, and which help raise funds for a good cause. With some other new parents on the team, it’s a great time to pop along to a meeting and find out what we do. Our next meeting is delayed a little until after the school holidays: put it in your calendars, and come along on Thursday 28th July from 7-8pm and see what it’s all about. Please drop us a line at email@example.com for details on how to join in.
A last word… it’s the mid-winter break already. We wish you a safe and healthy couple of weeks, and look forward to seeing more of you after the holidays.
Friends of Edendale PTA
Edendale term dates (note these may change slightly)
- Term 3: 25 July - 30 September
- No public holidays
- Term 4: 17 October - 15 December
- 24 October - Labour Day
Next Board meeting: Tuesday, 16 August at 7:00am via ZOOM. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an invite
Next Friends of Edendale meeting: Thursday 28th July at 7:00pm. Email email@example.com for more information