The Sunnyside Scoop
School Newsletter -- May, 2019
Kids Junction: (651) 385 - 4587
First Student (General busing questions): (651) 388 - 8244
Transportation (Bus routing): (651) 385 - 4795
Happy Spring! It's hard to believe we're closing in on the end of the school year as quickly as we are! This month's newsletter is chock full of end of the year items, so read carefully.
I just want to take a moment in this final Sunnyside Scoop of the school year to thank you all for another amazing year as Principal here at Sunnyside. There is something truly awesome about this place. I'm blessed with a staff who works tirelessly and cares deeply, families who pitch in to help and support their young learners, and students who come to school excited to learn and grow. I couldn't ask for more than that, and I thank you all for another wonderful year here at Sunnyside!
Dates to Remember...
20 -- 1st Grade Field Trip to Carpenter Nature Center (Grove & Welsch)
22 -- Kindergarten Town Tour (McDonnell, Prigge, Prahl, Dressen)
23 -- Kindergarten Town Tour (Plonsky, Johnson, Richardson, Marklevits)
24 -- Bus Stop & Walk (weather permitting!)
24 -- TWO-HOUR EARLY RELEASE
27 -- NO SCHOOL
28 -- Kindergarten Farm Field Trip (Dressen & Prigge)
28 -- Arboretum Plant Mobile visits 2nd grade
29 -- Kindergarten Farm Field Trip (Johnson & Richardson)
29 -- 1st Grade Field Trip to Carpenter Nature Center (Swanson & Harteneck)
30 -- Kindergarten Farm Field Trip (Prahl & McDonnell)
30 -- 1st Grade Field Trip to Carpenter Nature Center (Edwards & Pearson)
31 -- Bus Stop & Walk (weather permitting!)
31 -- Kindergarten Farm Field Trip (Plonsky & Marklevits)
31 -- School-wide Spring Celebration Activities
3 -- 1st & 2nd Graders Tour Burnside
3 -- Kindergarten Field Trip to Hok-Si-La (Prigge, Dressen, Prahl, McDonnell)
4 -- Kindergarten Field Trip to Hok-Si-La (Plonsky, Marklevits, Richardson, Johnson)
6 -- All-School Picnic (during each class's regular lunch period, weather permitting)
6 -- LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
Important End of Year Information
- Report Cards -- Report cards will be mailed home to families by the end of the week following the end of the school year.
- Supply Lists -- A list of supplies needed for the 2019-2020 school year will be enclosed with report cards. Local retailers will also make lists available closer to the end of summer.
- Medications -- If you expect that your child will have medicine remaining at school, we ask that a parent pick them up at the Nurse’s Office on or before the last day of school. (We cannot send meds home with the student, and ask your cooperation in this matter.) Meds will be discarded if not picked up. This includes prescription and over-the- counter meds, as well as Epi-pens. If you expect your child to return to school on a prescribed medication in the fall, please remember to request a medication permission form signed by your doctor giving the school authorization to administer the medication. Also, an updated medical statement is required at the beginning of every school year regarding students with food allergies. Please have this signed medical statement along with updated emergency medications to your school nurse before school begins next fall.
- Lost & Found -- Please stop by Sunnyside and check out our lost and found table. We have lots of clothing items that will be donated after the last day of school!
All School Picnic
The picnic will take place on the back playground area, and there will be signs posted to help you find your child's classroom spot. In the case of inclement weather, we would unfortunately need to cancel the event, so fingers crossed!
Looking Ahead to Next Year
I know, I know... summer's not even here yet, and I'm posting about next school year already?! Each year, there are a few questions we inevitable get calls about during the summer, so I figured I'd answer some of them here:
When will I find out my child's teacher?
Classroom placement letters for grades 1+ will be mailed out by early August. Placement letters for incoming kindergarten students do not go out until mid-August, as we tend to continue receiving numerous kindergarten registrations throughout the summer.
When will I hear about busing?
Transportation information is not mailed out by First Student until a week or two before school starts. These go out this late primarily to avoid the need to change routes due to summer enrollments.
When is Open House?
This year, Sunnyside is trying something a little different. Rather than a traditional Open House, families will receive a link with their classroom placement letters that will allow them to sign up for their own mini-conference time on either Wednesday, August 28 or Tuesday, September 3. This time will be a chance to meet your child's teacher, drop off supplies, chat about your child's needs, and allow the teacher to complete some brief assessments to get to know your child academically. You will also have the ability to make a lunch account payment, pick up a copy of the Sunnyside school handbook, and ask any other questions you may have.
When does school actually start?
For all 1st - 12th grade students, the 2019 - 2020 school year will begin on Wednesday, September 4. Kindergarten will once again have two transition days to begin the year. Half of our incoming kindergarten students will have their transition day on 9/4 (with no school on 9/5), and the other half will start on 9/5. This is done to ease student anxiety and allow the teacher to provide more individualized attention on that important first day of school. All kindergarten students will then begin attending together beginning on Friday, September 6. Each child's transition day will be communicated via the placement letter mailed out in early August.
Apex Fun Run Wrap-Up
Detention Pond Volunteers Needed!
If you are interested in joining us for some gardening fun on June 12th, please sign up HERE. Kids are welcome (and encouraged!), though we do ask that students are accompanied by an adult (no drop offs, please). As we get closer to the date, I will share out more specific details and times, but even if folks are only able to join us for part of the time, that is fine. This is a great chance to help Sunnyside and the environment!
Sunnyside Playground Update
Assuming the weather cooperates this summer, our new playground should be completed in plenty of time for the new school year. We plan to hold a community grand opening in late September as a thank you to everyone who helped make this dream a reality.
Kindergarten registration has moved to Sunnyside School! If you have an incoming kindergarten student for the 2019-2020 school year, please come to the Sunnyside office to register between the hours of 7:00 am - 3:30 pm. Please remember to bring the following:
- Copy of your child's birth certificate (must be an official certificate, not hospital issued)
- Immunization record, including 5-year shots (If not yet completed, can be turned in at a later date before school starts)