Your path beyond high school
Welcome Back Juniors and Seniors!
Welcome back! My name is Ms. Stephanie Campbell, and I am the new College Counselor at Perry Hall High School! I am at PHHS on Tuesdays, Fridays, and every other Wednesday, My job is to assist students and their families with their post-high school journey. I will be sending out a newsletter with timely information regarding things like, upcoming important events, deadlines, college visits, etc. There will also always be a section on "What should I be doing now?" That section is intended to let you know what things as a Junior or Senior, you should be doing currently to prepare for the next chapter in your life. As always, please see me with any questions or concerns regarding the College/Career process. I look forward to working with you!
Seniors - What Should I Be Doing Now?
- Talk to your college counselor about the college search and application process.
- Make a list of the application, testing, and financial aid requirements for each college you are interested in.
- Letters of recommendation: Decide who to ask, and reach out to them early so they have time to write good letters. They will use your resume and/or Brag Sheet from Naviance.
- Application essays: Look over essays you have already written for inspiration. Share your ideas with parents, teachers, or other trusted adults, so they can help you craft the strongest essays possible.
- Register for the SAT: If you haven’t taken it yet, or would like to take it again, it’s not too late! Sign up now, and be sure to send score reports to colleges. https://www.collegeboard.org/
- Complete the FAFSA, which opens October 1: It’s necessary if you’re applying for federal and state grants and loans. Funds are limited, so make sure to file by the financial aid priority filing dates. https://fafsa.ed.gov/
- If you have not already, create a Common App account. The Common Application is used by over 500 colleges. If you would like to see the entire list of member colleges, go to http://www.commonapp.org hover over “member colleges” and click “all members”
- Sign up for visits in school with college representatives on Naviance. (see below)
Juniors - What Should I Be Doing Now?
- Get off to a good start in your classes. Join any clubs or organizations that you always wanted to.
- Prepare for the PSAT (Khan Academy is a great resource!)
- Schedule college visits on any days that schools are closed (when colleges are not closed)
- Visit local college fairs (see below for some coming up!)
Perry Hall High School College Fair
Thursday, Sep. 27th, 6:30pm
4601 Ebenezer Road
Ready, Set, Apply!
Saturday, Sep. 29th, 2-3pm
1046 Taylor Avenue
Calvert Hall College Fair
Wednesday, Oct. 3rd, 7pm
8102 Lasalle Road
Perry Hall High College Application Night
Thursday, Oct. 4th, 6:30pm
4601 Ebenezer Road
September College Visits (Always check Naviance for updates!)
You will be sent a pass the morning of the visit through your homeroom teacher.
Wed September 12, 20189:00 AM
Queens University of Charlotte
Thu September 13, 2018 9:00 AM
Tue September 18, 2018 9:00 AM
Notre Dame of Maryland University
Mon September 24, 2018 9:00 AM
Wed September 26, 2018 9:00 AM
Thu September 27, 2018 9:00 AM
Horatio Alger: For students with financial need who have exhibited integrity and perseverance in overcoming personal adversity ($55,000 or lower adjusted gross family income) Submit by 10/25/19
Elks Foundation: Most Valuable Student scholars are outstanding students who are at or near the top of their classes, active in their schools and communities, and recognized as leaders by their peers. Submit by 11/15/18
Towson UTeach: Supports the academic achievement of Maryland high school students who enroll at TU to study within the Towson UTeach Program in pursuit of a teaching certification in secondary school science or math. Submit by 12/1/18
Women of Associated Builders and Contractors: Available for a female high school, trade school or college student planning to pursue construction related fields of study in post-high school education. Submit by 1/15/19
See Ms. Campbell in the Counseling Office for an application.