Welcome Back, JES Tigers!
Re-entry plan for Jamestown Elementary School
GCS Staggered Entry Timeline-Revised 10.20.2020
The GCS school board has voted to allow elementary students to return to the classroom full time. We are excited to have students back in the building, five days a week beginning in October. Below is a timeline for re-entry, which begins with Pre-Kindergarten on Tuesday, September 29, 2020.
Monday , October 26: PreK through 2nd grade will return. The elementary school day will be from 7:35 a.m. to 2:05 p.m, assuming metrics allow for a safe re-entry of students. The decision will be made on October 23, 2020. Stay tuned.
Wednesday, November 4: Grades 3 through 5 will return. The elementary school day will be from 7:35 a.m.-2:05 p.m. assuming metrics allow for a safe re-entry of students.
To allow for social distancing on buses and to assess the need for transportation, we are asking all parents to fill out a transportation preference form by 5 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 1, indicating whether or not you need transportation. This form can be found on our website at www.gcsnc.com/reopening and on our school page. If you are able, please consider alternate ways to transport your child to school.
While transportation will be provided for all students who need it, social distancing on buses will limit the number of students on a bus. For this reason, we ask parents to consider bringing their children to school or having their children walk or ride their bike when possible.
Parents of bus riders will need to sign an attestation verifying that the child is healthy before he or she gets on the bus. Forms must be submitted each day prior to midnight the day before riding the bus. You can access the attestation form here or in the additional links provided below.
For the safety of all students and other drivers, please enter through the car rider line and follow the traffic pattern. No students should be dropped off or picked up in any other location. Morning Car riders will be screened and have their temperature taken prior to exiting the vehicle. Please be prepared to respond to the health and safety screening questions that are outlined below.
Social Distancing and Face Coverings
Children will be required to wear masks while in the building, unless eating/drinking or exercising strenuously. Face masks should be worn at bus stops where other children are present. Students will also be provided with cloth face coverings. Throughout the day, students will be allowed mask breaks outside during the day.
Health and Safety Screenings
- Have any children you are dropping off had contact in the last 14 days with someone diagnosed with COVID-19, or has any health department or healthcare provider been in contact with you and advised you to quarantine?
- Do any of the children you are dropping off have any of the following symptoms: fever of 100.4 or greater, chills, difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, a new cough, or new loss of taste or smell?
- Since you were last at school, have you been diagnosed with COVID-19?
Visitors and Guests
If a student needs to be picked up from school before dismissal, please notify your child's teacher or call the office ahead of time. For the safety of all students, early release of students will not be allowed after 1:50pm.
- Students will not have access to water fountains, but may bring a clear, unbreakable water bottle that may be refilled at one of our refilling stations.
- Restrooms will marked to indicate social distancing.
- Proper handwashing procedures will be reviewed with students.
- Morning car riders will be screened and have their temperature taken prior to exiting the vehicle.
For More Information
Below is a video of how to wear, remove and wash a cloth face covering, as well as photos of socially distanced classrooms, floor markings, etc. If you have further questions about the information in this document, please contact me at the email in the top corner of this information guide. We look forward to seeing our Jamestown Tigers in a few weeks!