Superintendent Six Week Report
From the desk of Donny Lee, Ed.D.
Back to School We Go!
We are 9 days into the new semester that has already seen its share of challenges. However, our rockstar team of educators (that's everyone) has shown outstanding teamwork and determination in order to meet the needs of our students. I appreciate your flexibility and positive attitude in working toward us all Building Better Cougars!
Have you discovered your "WHY"? Why do you teach? What gets you out of bed each morning to drive a bus? What do you love about serving students breakfast and lunch? Why are you passionate about coaching? Education is the key to changing future generations in a very impactful way. YOU make a difference. What YOU do matters.
- Do you have a specific need that hasn't been addressed on your campus? Please let us know immediately. Our goal is to have facilities that everyone can be proud of. We will continue working hard to reach that goal, which will require everyone's assistance.
- Budget development is fixing to begin. Be sure to get your "wish lists" turned into your campus principal. If we don't know you want it, we can't budget for it. There is no guarantee that your request will be approved, but we encourage you to turn in your wants & needs.
Covid Protocols Modified
- If you contract covid, you must quarantine for five days.
- The CDC recommends that individuals wear a mask for an additional five days, so we ask each employee to follow this guidance.
- After five days, you can return to work if you are symptom free for 24 hours.
- All household members must quarantine for five days if someone in their home has covid.
- The Return to School Plan is on our website and has been shared via Google Drive with every employee.
- My finance team will be recommending a 3% raise for professional staff for the 22-23 school year.
- If you know you're not going to be here next year, please take advantage of the Early Resignation Bonus. The calendar and timeline are attached to this update and will be emailed separately.
- There will be a required Teacher Incentive Allotment Zoom on February 17th from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM. This is a Staff Development/Student Holiday. Buna ISD is attempting to get into Cohort E of the TIA in order to begin paying rockstar teachers more money. We will start with a small sample of the teacher population and begin expanding to more grade levels as things progress. Please be prepared to ask questions and gain as much knowledge about this state funded program as possible.
A reminder that “public education” is a babysitting service offered at the convenience of the government employees. Public education in Texas is about employing otherwise unemployable adults, not educating kids.
Get out and Rock the Vote!
Celebrating our Cougars: December & January Students of the Month, Police Appreciation Day, and Staff Spotlight
Facilities Steering Committee
- No school Monday--MLK Holiday; Enjoy your three day weekend!
- Tuesday and Thursday are Early Release Days due to elementary UIL being hosted at BES.
- Instructional Rounds will take place at the JH & HS Wednesday.
- Rounds will take place at the elementary on the 26th.