The Cobra Connection
The Sousa Middle School Family Newsletter | August 28, 2020
"Many hands make light work" (Tanzanian proverb).
What is the Cobra Connection?
We are grateful for you! These are unprecedented times and we are grateful to have the opportunity to work in partnership with all of you. Remember: Together, we can do anything because we are #SousaStrong!
The Cobra Connection newsletter is our family newsletter. We will share important district-wide and school-specific information with you on a bi-weekly basis to make sure you are in-the-know. Until the beginning of the school year, however, we will be reaching out on a weekly basis.
- DC Public Schools will be starting the 2020-21 School Year virtually. These videos (1) (2) explain what this means when we start school on August 31, 2020.
- Make sure you complete the tech survey if you need technology for distance learning.
- Check out the #ReOpenStrong website for updates on virtual/distance learning.
- Enroll in DCPS' Parent University sessions to receive additional guidance on what this school year will look like and the district's commitments.
- Make sure you enroll your child as soon as possible! You can receive on site support M-F from 9:00 AM- 4:00 PM!
- Check out DCPS' social media policy as we continue to use virtual learning for Term 1.
- To learn more about our acceptable technology usage policy, click here.
- Check out DCPS' grading policy for virtual learning here.
- To learn more about the attendance policy, click here.
Mark Your Calendars
AUGUST 31: First day of School
AUGUST 31st- SEPT 4: Technology Support Available via Phone or In Person! 9:00 AM-4:00 PM
See Flyer Below
SEPT 3: Back to School Block Party
See Flyer Below
Virtual Learning Tips & Tricks
- Create a learning space for your child that is quiet and free of clutter.
- Make sure they have a strong routine and that they stick to that schedule to maximize their instructional time.
- Feel free to reach out to your child's teachers if your child needs additional support.
- Monitor your child's usage of social media regularly.
Please do not hesitate to reach out! We are in this together!
Dean Clavis, Dean of Students
Ms. Scott, Director, STEAM Academy
Ms. Coan, Manager, Strategy & Logistics