Fourth Grade News
Mrs. Spencer's Class - Week of 3/16
IXL Challenges are continuing, and our class is doing a fabulous job! Remember: IXL can be accessed at home, and one computer lab is open from 7:30-8:05 each morning for students to practice.
Challenge #2 (3/11-3/18): E.21, U.8, W.3
Challenge #3 (3/18-3/25): F.4, U.10, W.4
Reminder: There is a 2-hour early release this Wednesday.
Congratulations to our Science Fair Participants!
UPDATES, OBJECTIVES, & LINKS
I LOVE TO READ MONTH INFORMATION:
LEGO HALLWAY BANNER ASSIGNMENT: Please help your child remember to complete & return this assignment ASAP!
THIS THURSDAY: 3/19: Pod Color & Lego Character Day
3/26: Stripes & Dots Day -- wear anything with stripes or dots
3/27: “Springy Best” Day -- this is Spring picture day!
3/31: Hilarious Hair & Hats Day
We are on WEEK 6 for our Nightly Roots & Vocabulary Homework!
This Week's Important Updates:
- Science Museum Trip Payment: Payment for our Science Museum trip must be made in full by April 10th. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
- Weekly IXL Challenges: The IXL challenges with Mrs. Krell will start this week and will run from Wednesday to Wednesday. Students will be assigned 3 skills to master each week & will then be in a drawing to have lunch with Mrs. Krell. All students who master the assigned skills will get a certificate & reward each week!
- Homework Routines: Students are assigned to reading 30-35+ minutes nightly, practicing math facts for 5-10+, completing the nightly Study Link/math assignment, and completing a roots assignment nightly.
- Transportation Changes?: Please write a note in your child’s planner, send me a note, or send me an e-mail any time your child has a change in transportation plans. This is very important! Thank you!
Music Projects are due Monday, March 30th! Please see attached flyer.
This Week's Objectives:
- We are reading and discussing the plays Grace and the Time Machine and The King in the Kitchen.
- We are determining main idea and supporting details.
- We are considering author's purpose (persuade, inform, entertain).
- We are utilizing the PRUNES (Preview, Read x2, Underline, Notice key words, Eliminate, Survey/ check) strategy while reading passages and answering questions.
- We are building reading stamina and working on expanding vocabulary.
- We are finding the fraction and percent of a collection and a region.
- We are solving "percent of" problems.
- We are using a calculator to convert fractions to decimals and percents.
- We are comparing and ordering fractions with unlike denominators.
- We are developing speed and accuracy with multiplication and division facts. Please help your child remember to practice facts at home each night for both multiplication and division! It is essential that students know basic facts with speed and accuracy. Thank you!
- In Science, we are discussing germs and how to keep one's body healthy.
- In Social Studies, students are learning about the southern region of the United States. Students will have an upcoming test on ALL states and capitals that have been studied thus far. Please remind your child to practice memorizing the states and capitals at home!
Check out Learning Locator!
Your child now has received his or her codes for both Math and Reading. Visit: http://perspective.pearsonaccess.com/perspective/appmanager/mn/family to get started! Please email me for your child's code/another copy of the code sheet if needed.
Wishing you a wonderful week!
Please contact me with any questions or comments.