By: Elaine Comerford
Pros of Ethanol Fuel
- Reduces greenhouse gases emissions by 18-29% per vehicle mile traveled compared to petroleum-based fuels.
- Made completely of biodegradable materials.
- 74% of ethanol is broken down within 5 days.
- Ethanol production creates jobs in rural areas.
- The carbon dioxide released when ethanol is burned is balanced by the carbon dioxide released by plants.
Cons of Ethanol Fuel
- 2.4 to 2.8 gallons of ethanol can be produced per bushel of corn. Many people argue about the use of corn as food and not fuel.
- Every 1.35-1.40 gallons of ethanol fuel is equal to 1 gallon of gasoline.
- It is difficult to transport through the pipes in the Midwest and the U.S. because it absorbs water and is corrosive.
- Exhaust of CO2 which contaminates the air.
- If the corn crops have a bad year then ethanol prices will rise.