7-12 OVLC Updates
2020-2021 School Year
October 22nd Update
Friday, October 23rd - NO SCHOOL
Friday, October 23rd, is an off day for OASD, including the OVLC. If you are behind pace in any of your classes, this is a great opportunity to take the day to catch up!
Families are encouraged to set up conferences (on Zoom) with teachers at any point during the trimester/term. There will be no formal conference days, but teachers have availability during the day and in the afternoon-early evening upon request. If your student is struggling or if you have questions and concerns, please reach out to the teacher to set up a Zoom meeting.
High School Term 1 Finals and Report Cards
High School students in OVLC will be taking their cumulative, Term 1 Finals, for their core courses, during a two-week window from October 26-November 6th. Teachers will be communicating the date and structure of their finals in the coming week. While there are finals, students in OVLC will not be receiving Term 1 grades on a report card, due to the structures of the OVLC classes. This is different from those students who are at OHS who do receive a term grade. OVLC students will receive a final semester grade at the end of the Fall Semester in January along with the corresponding credits. If you have any questions/concerns please contact Mr. Eichstadt (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Mentorship Program for 7th-9th Grade
This year the 7th and 8th graders in the OVLC will have the opportunity to be partnered with a National Honor Society member from OHS to help encourage good academic habits and positive connections! This opportunity will allow students to form relationships and get mentored by some of the wonderful student leaders in our community! This will be a year long mentorship, with students meeting with their mentors via Zoom/Google Meet 2-3 times per month. If you would like your child to participate in this program please fill out this interest form so they can be matched with an NHS Mentor that is right for them!
Electives Progress Report Update in Skyward Family Access
For all 7th-12th grade OVLC students, a progress report was inputted into Skyward, showing student's current Term/Trimester grade for their Elective/Explore courses. If a student is behind pace, this was taken into account in calculating their grade. This grade is not final, and can be improved before the end of the Term or Trimester. Please let Steve Eichstadt (email@example.com) know if you have any questions or concerns.
MAP Testing Updates 3rd through 8th Grade OVLC
MAP Testing for 3rd through 8th Grade Students
Families will be receiving communication about OVLC MAP testing for 3rd through 8th-grade students soon.
We will have two options for how your child(ren) will be able to MAP test - in person or virtually. For validity and technology purposes, we would prefer to have students test in person. However, we recognize families will have different preferences.
Please use the following form to indicate how you would prefer your child(ren) to take the MAP test. OVLC MAP Assessment Initial Preference
7-12 OVLC Updates: Week of September 28th
Families are encouraged to stay up to date on their child's current grade in their classes. For Core Courses, this can be done by looking in Skyward Family Access which is where the most accurate and current grade is located. For the Electives, parents can view their student's progress report in their Edgenuity updates. If you have any questions or concerns don't hesitate to reach out and ask any of the teachers.
In an effort to provide additional support for the Elective courses, students are now able to contact Mr. Todd Rohrer as well as Mr. Eichstadt. Mr. Rohrer will have open office hours as well as meetings by appointment or help via email. As a general reminder, students are able to access the links and times for open office hours through the Canvas Electives homepage.
The 7th and 8th graders are on a rotation for Social Studies and Science units. Starting next week, Monday, September 28th, the 7th graders will be switching to Social Studies with Mrs. Rincon-Stegner and the 8th graders will be starting their first Science unit with Mr. Starr. Let us know if you have any questions or concerns about this rotation.
OHS Live Streamed announcements will be switching from 8:35 to 8:55 due to the change in schedule at the high school. We still encourage students to tune in and watch every day, but recognize there may be some days where this interferes with an already scheduled live session. Please attend the live session for your core courses when this conflict occurs, and plan to watch the announcement recording later in the day.
High School students should be completing their two College and Career Seminars each week. These can be found under "Modules" in their grade level Canvas courses. If you haven't done all of these modules yet, please find the time to work on these. They will each take roughly 30 minutes to complete and it is a required component for high school students in OVLC. Let Mr. Eichstadt know if you have any questions.
OVLC 7-12 Updates: September 21st
7th through OHS Fall Parent/Teacher Conferences:
- OVLC Teachers will contact parents if a conference is needed and will coordinate a time.
- OVLC Parents who desire a conference should contact the teacher. Teachers will continue to utilize flexible time periods to meet with families during the day.
- Parents should utilize those periods to make sure they are staying connected to their child(ren's) teacher(s)
- Edgenuity Parent Access: Please contact one of your child's teachers if you are struggling with access to view your child's academic progress through the Edgenuity platform
- Please take a few minutes to read: "How to be a Successful Student in OVLC"
Have a great week,
7-12 OVLC Staff
OVLC Introduces "Character Strong" to 5th through 8th grade students
Character Strong Introductory Meetings THIS WEEK!!
Zoom Link (Password is 123).
If a student misses their grade-level introductory meeting, they should just join another one later in the week.
*If your child is unable to attend this week's introductory session with Mrs. Holzbauer, please reference the above presentation prior to Sept.14th.
Character Strong live sessions will formally begin on Monday, September 14th
Tuesday, September 8th, 7:30-7:55
Wednesday, September 9th, 7:30-7:55
Thursday, September 10th, 7:30-7:55
Friday, September 11th, 7:30-7:55
"Character Strong" is being used by 5th through 8th-grade teachers at NHI and SLI this year. The purpose of this advisory curriculum is to provide students with age-appropriate strategies to improve peer to peer relationships, self-motivation, and individual accountability. OVLC students will be introduced to Character Strong this week by Mrs. Holzbauer, an 8th-grade teacher at NHI and one of the teacher leaders in charge of implementing this new resource in our building. Connecting OVLC students to Character Strong will not only help to support the social/emotional needs of remote learners but will also ensure OVLC students will stay connected to this core learning resource in the event they return to Face to Face instruction second trimester.
7-12 OVLC Week 2 Updates
It was a great first week getting to see and meet our online classes in the OVLC! We've been able to build a solid foundation with common commitments, expectations of the OVLC, and a weekly schedule focused on the core content courses. This week we will take the final step in launching the school year, by introducing the learning platform Edgenuity and starting students in their various Elective courses!
We will also be launching the OVLC connections to NHI/SLI and OHS this week. These include:
For the 7th-8th graders, they will be participating in Circle of Power and Respect (CPR), and Character Strong Lessons, to support the students in creating connections with teachers and further building on our amazing OASD Community.
- Students at NHI/SLI are currently receiving these lessons daily and OVLC 7th and 8th graders will be connecting in a live session to an Explore teacher, at their home intermediate school
- 7th graders will have their initial session on Thursday, September 10th
- 8th graders will start on Friday, September 11th.
- This will be the only session for each grade level next week, before it fully starts on Monday, September 14th on a daily basis for all 7th-8th grade students. This fits into their early morning schedule from 7:30-7:55. The links for these Zoom sessions will be posted on their grade level course home pages.
The high school students will start connecting into the seminars OHS face-to-face students will also complete.
- Seminars are focused on helping to develop students who are College, Career, and Life Ready, as well as ensure a strong school community.
- Seminars will be posted to their grade level Canvas courses twice per week.
Parents/guardians can help ensure their students are equipped and held accountable in this online environment by setting up a Canvas account as an "observer" of their student. Follow the instructions on this website for more information.
Thank you for your support as we continue to develop a strong online learning community and have a great start to our school year!
-OVLC 7-12 Teachers
Week of September 1st Updates:
- Students feel comfortable and confident with daily schedules and expectations
- Students feel comfortable and confident with accessing core learning resources
- Students know how to access their teacher(s) for support and live sessions
- Students have established a productive work station and routine at home to be successful as a virtual learner
We recognize each student (and family) will meet these goals at different times this week. Please continue to be patient as our teachers work through issues with each student and family. Our intention is to be ready to begin delivering academic lessons and/or assignments at the beginning of next week.
Thanks for your partnership as we launch the OVLC this week.
Picture Day Updates
- OVLC families will be receiving an email from their in-person school (where they would have attended in a face to face model)
- The communication will include a link to sign-up for a time at their in-person school
- LifeTouch, the company that provides the pictures, will have forms available when arriving
Please see the schedule below: (Click the active link to sign-up for a time)
September 1st: OHS 1-2 p.m.
September 2nd: OHS 1-2 p.m. (OHS OVLC students do not need to sign-up)
September 2nd: Silver Lake 1-4 p.m.
September 3rd: Ixonia 4-6 p.m.
September 9th: Meadow View 5-7 p.m.
September 9th: Summit 4-6 p.m.
September 11th Greenland 4-6 p.m.
September 15th: Nature Hill 4-6 p.m.
September 16th: Nature Hill 4-6 p.m.
September 17th Park Lawn 4-6 p.m.
If you have any questions regarding picture time or location, please contact the administrative assistant of the school your child would have attended in-person this year.
Student Placement Questions
Transition between Face-to-Face and Oconomowoc Virtual Learning Community
Second Trimester Transition
- Notify Diane Silkey (Silkeyd@oasd.org) no later than January 5, 2021
- Students would begin their new placement on January 19, 2021
Elementary Schools and Intermediate Schools
Transition between Face-to-Face and Oconomowoc Virtual Learning Community
Second Trimester Transition
- Notify Diane Silkey (Silkeyd@oasd.org) no later than Friday, November 13, 2020
- Students would begin their new placement on November 30, 2020
Third Trimester Transition
- Notify Diane Silkey (Silkeyd@oasd.org) no later than Friday, February 12, 2021
- Students would begin their new placement on March 1, 2021
Who to Contact for OVLC Support
4K-6th Grade General Questions:
Liz Schmocker (Schmockere@oasd.org)
7-12th Grade General Questions:
Steve Eichstadt (Eichstadts@oasd.org
General OVLC Questions
Michele Koper (Koperm@oasd.org)
Questions Related to Transitioning to OVLC or to In-Person Learning:
John Flannery (Flannerj@oasd.org)
Attendance or Questions Related to Class Schedules:
4K-6: OVLC Homeroom Teachers
7-12: Steve Eichstadt
General Technology and Access Questions:
OVLC Meet the Teachers
OVLC 4K-6 Team Leader: Mrs. Schmocker
Staff Kickoff Presentations
5K: Mrs. Moulton
- Mrs. Barrette: Reading
- Ms. Lamberson: Math
- Mrs. Fallon: Language Arts, Science/Social Studies
- Mr. Eichstadt: Specials and OVLC Team Leader
- Mrs. Donovan: English Language Arts
- Mrs. Hopkins: Math
- Mrs. Rincon-Stegner: Social Studies
- Mr. Starr: Science
Student Services Staff (See Grade-Level Intros to Meet our OVLC Learning Strategists)
4K-1 Learning Strategist: Mrs. Hutchinson
2-4 Learning Strategist: Ms. Speich
5-6 Learning Strategist: Mrs. Cavanna
7-12 Learning Strategists: Mrs. Sobol and Mrs. Busalacchi