September 25, 2020
Dear Boone Community,
With the first three weeks of school now coming to a close, I'm sure we all have learned a lot about what's working well and where we can improve as we reimagine school in this virtual environment. During this past week, teachers began providing students with a survey to gather their thoughts and ideas around remote learning and social-emotional learning at Boone. This survey is an important step we are taking to gather feedback that will help us inform ways we can best support students and build a strong community.
We acknowledge that we have extra challenges to face in building safe and cohesive communities in our classrooms within this new virtual environment. With this week’s grand jury decision in Kentucky that no officers would be charged directly with Breonna Taylor’s death, and amidst the ongoing unrest in our country as we continue to be inundated with daily news of injustices happening around us, we know that building safe communities in each classroom is more important than ever if we are to create spaces for students to truly share and engage in meaningful discourse about topics that are relevant to their lives.
At Boone we will continue to implement curriculum and resources that affirm that Black lives matter and affirm our commitment to anti-racist teaching. We recognize that we must continue to come together as a community and continually reflect on our practices and grow in meaningful ways to have the greatest positive impact on the students and families we serve. To that end, we also invite all community members to provide input by completing this survey regarding our remote learning plan at Boone. Please respond by Friday, 10/2/20, as we would like to share and discuss the results with staff the following week. Thank you for your feedback and support.
Jackie Delaney, Principal
Remembering Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Rise Up: The Art of Protest
- "I think the girl is feeling brave and serious because she looks like she is standing up for something and being very brave about it."
- "She is feeling this way because maybe a powerful someone said something about their culture and now she is not afraid to stand up to her/him."
- "Human dignity maybe it means equality and humans rights means what they deserve."
- "Her face says it all, it's there because there's too much racism."
- "Maybe she's religious and people that are not are trying to find her."
Learn more about this poster and Amnesty International at www.amnestyusa.org
Remote Learning Survey
LSC Election Updates
GoCPS Parent Presentation
8th grade students and families: Come find out about GoCPS and the high school application process.
Ms. Rowe and Ms. Washington will host a virtual GoCPS Orientation
Monday, October 5, 2020
PAC Meetings on October 15, 2020
Please click here to request the link for this meeting, or email Principal Delaney at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be sent the invitation for the virtual meetings. You can also call the main office at 773-534-2160 to request the call-in code.
Fall Art from our Art Elective Students with Ms. Locke
Is there someone at Boone who you would like to recognize for their hard work, kindness, or other awesome quality? Please click here on the Boone Community Shout-Out form to take a moment to acknowledge that person. Your message may appear in the next post!
- Shout out to Mr. Gerardo Zavala, thank you for your help! (From Mustafa)
- Ms Doman - Thank you, we love you! (From Mohammad)
- Mr.Lambert is a great teacher he helped us a lot because of this teacher I understand Social Science much better .Thank You So Much! (From Laiba)
- Mr. Austria thank you for helping me to better understand how to navigate through all this technology. You're very patient, understanding and always willing to help. (From Alexa)
- Thank you Ms. Siddiqua. You're a great teacher I'm so happy to be in your class. (From Shane)
- I love my new teacher Ms. Soro . She is smart and very kind. Thank you for all you do for our class to make sure we are learning. (From Alaina)
- I would like to thank Mr.Hines for being such a nice and good teacher. Mr.Hines is really kind and always let's us take our time and helps us whenever we need it. (From Faven)
REPEAT REMINDERS BELOW
U.S. Census - It's Not Too Late to Be Counted!
Health clinics. Fire departments. Schools. Even roads and highways. The census can shape many different aspects of your community.
Census results help determine how billions of dollars in federal funding flow into states and communities each year.
The results determine how many seats in Congress each state gets.
Family Income Information Forms Needed by 9/30/20
YMCA Virtual After School Programming
COVID-19 has closed the school building, but it can’t stop FUN!!
Are you into visual arts? Do you have what it takes to conquer our series of instant challenges? Does the idea of learning more about your favorite computer games, and movie/television characters sound interesting to you? If so, join us! The YMCA will be offering fun, engaging and creative virtual activities during CPS virtual learning period. These activities will occur during out-of-school time hours for students and adults. All of this, plus exciting partner programs and the usual amazing work the Y does to promote student academic and social-emotional development.
If you are interested in learning more, Click on this Interest Survey Link and complete the form. Boone's YMCA Program Manager Josh Fidler will follow up with you and provide additional information. If you have any questions, please reach out to Josh at email@example.com
Stay Active! Stay Engaged! Stay Safe!
How to Contact Office Staff or Administration
While Door 1 is under construction and temporarily unavailable, and there are limited staff at Boone due to COVID-19 closure, here are the ways you can contact office and/or administrative staff:
- Leave a message with Security Officer Mr. Valencia outside at Door 2 near the food distribution, 8am-1pm daily Monday-Friday
- Leave a phone message at 773-534-2160, option #0 (voicemail is checked daily)
- Email one of our clerks: Claudia Ortiz - firstname.lastname@example.org (English & Spanish), Shamiram Shahbaz - email@example.com (English, Arabic, Assyrian)
Daniel Boone Elementary School
Boone Vision: Kindness, creativity, and an understanding of diverse perspectives will guide us as we intentionally engage in learning opportunities and take action to bring about positive change in our world.
Boone Mission: We actively seek to learn more about ourselves, others, and the world through the arts and through learning opportunities that respond to our identities and promote positive relationships. We rise up to advocate for ourselves and others so that everyone is valued and empowered.