Chapel of the Cross Faith & Family
Family Bible time for the week of August 16-August 22
Welcome to Chapel's Faith & Family!
Jesus Calls Disciples
After Jesus was baptized, John the Baptist continued to point to Him, telling people, “Behold, the Lamb of God!” Andrew, who had been following John the Baptist, turned to follow Jesus. Andrew told his brother Peter, “We have found the Messiah!” and he brought Peter to meet Jesus.
Jesus began healing the sick and teaching about the kingdom of God. One time, He was teaching by the Sea of Galilee. He got into one of the fishermen’s boats (it happened to be Peter’s) and taught from the water. When He was done, He told Peter to throw out his nets again for a catch. Peter didn’t want to. He had been fishing all night with nothing to show for it. But he did it anyway. Pretty soon, there were so many fish the boat began to sink! Peter was afraid, but Jesus said, “Don’t be afraid; from now on, you’ll be fishing for men!” What do you think those fishermen did?
Dear Jesus, help us listen and learn about following You and sharing Your love. Amen
Bible Lesson: Jesus Calls Disciples
- Open your family Bible or a Children's Bible storybook and read this account together OR
- Read this account using an online Bible (Biblegateway.com) OR Luke 5:1-11
- Listen to the Bible account being read using the video below.
Talk about it
- What did Peter, Andrew, James, and John do for a living? What did Jesus ask them to do instead? What did He mean?
- If you had been one of those fishermen, would you have followed Jesus? Why or why not?
- How do we follow Jesus in our lives today?
Peter, Andrew, James, and John were fishermen. Jesus asked them to leave their fishing nets, follow Him, and “catch” people by telling them about God’s love.
Share your thoughts about being one of the fishermen that Jesus called.
Jesus calls us to follow Him, just as He called the disciples. We follow Jesus when we listen to His Word and share His love with others.
[Jesus says,] “Follow Me.” John 1:43
Things To Do Together
The Lord's Prayer
Dear Jesus, thank You for calling us to be Your disciples. Help us to spread Your love and forgiveness to all the world. In Your name we pray. Amen.
Bible Lesson: Concordia Publishing House
Chapel of the Cross--Lutheran
Our Core Values:
- Empowered by the cross of Christ
- People working together
- Opening the Word to all people
- Showing the love of Jesus
- Warm and supportive environment