Monday, August 23, 2021
We are SO excited to welcome you back next week! While we know the start of the school year may continue to feel different than everyone is used to, we are just as excited to be seeing so many smiling faces (under masks) and feel the energy in the classrooms and hallways. Thank you for your patience and support as we continue to navigate our policies and procedures during our first week. Below you will find important reminders and dates to look forward to in the coming weeks.
If you have not done so already please take a moment to read the August 13th parent letter that was sent from your child's incoming teacher in your email. Included in the letter you can find additional details on your child's Google Classroom link, supply lists, start date/time, Back to School Night, and uniform information. Thank you!
What you need to know this week:
Tomorrow, Tuesday, August 24th, Virtual Parent Town Hall, 6:00 pm. Please join us by clicking on the provided zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83479965157
- In-person Kindergarten Orientation will take place Thursday, August 26th from 5:00 -6:00 pm. Additional details can be found below.
- A recording of this event will be posted to the NACS website and the Bulldog Blast for any families who cannot attend or prefer not to attend in person.
- Guests for this event are limited to 2 people per family. For example, one parent and their child entering kindergarten. No additional guests will be permitted in order to keep event attendee numbers down.
- All attendees must wear masks to the event.
- Parents/Guardians will be permitted to drop off school supplies also on Thursday, August 26th from 1:00-2:30 pm. This is not mandatory.
- Monday, August 30th, First Day of School for Grades K- 8, 7:45:00 am-3:00 pm. Every Wednesday will be a noon dismissal for students.
Friendly reminder, Upper School students will need to bring their own calculator as indicated on the school supply list- for further questions please contact your child's teacher directly.
- PSSA testing for grades 4-8 will take place September 8th, 9th, 10th, 13th, and 14th. Below take time to re-read the attached letters below. PSSA Parent Letter, PSSA Letter.
- MARK YOUR CALENDARS! Back to School Night is scheduled for Thursday, September 9th, from 6:00 pm-7:30 pm. Please note, only 1 adult per child in the household can attend this event and students cannot attend.
APPROVED 2021-2022 CALENDAR: For your reference, click here to view our 2021-2022 academic calendar 📅 for all school-related dates for this year. The academic calendar also remains on our school website.
Annual Child Find Notice
Hello Northwood Families,
You will find a copy of our Annual Child Find Notice here outlining the procedures and protocols for Northwood's monitoring of all of our students and identification of students with special needs. This will also be able to be referenced on our website, via social media, and in local news publications.
For further information, please contact the Director of Special Education, Kate Crossett at 215-289-5606.
REMIND APP SIGN-UP
If you have not done so already please sign up for our NACS Remind App: the best way to stay in the know on all school updates and happenings in real-time. Parents will receive Wednesday Reminders and school-wide information via this platform.
The simplest way to sign-up is via text message through the following method:
Text @nacsnews to the number 81010
You will either be prompted to log in as normal, or you will receive a message that you are already signed up. This is not an error; it means that the user already has an active account in another class (for students).
If students have already signed up for a class on Remind they will automatically receive the school-wide Remind messages.
Volunteer Policy Information
Important Volunteer/ Chaperone Information In order to volunteer in any capacity (including chaperoning trips) you must fulfill the following directives which are part of the Child Protective Law:
The law requires all school employees, contractors, and volunteers to have direct contact with children to obtain clearances (child abuse history clearance and state and federal criminal history checks).
- For PA Criminal Background checks (no charge): https://epatch.state.pa.us
- For Child Abuse Clearance (no charge): https://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis
- For FBI fingerprinting (charge): https://uenroll.identogo.com or call #1-844-321-2101. The service code you will need is 1KG6Q9.
Now is a perfect time to make sure you have your PA Clearances updated and ready to go for the upcoming school year. If you need assistance please contact the main office. Please note, clearances submitted within 24 hours of an impending trip will not be processed in time for that individual to chaperone that particular trip. While we encourage everyone to complete clearances, we cannot honor last-minute requests.
CHECK IT OUT!
Bulldog Blast Translation Feature
- While viewing the newsletter on your phone, select "Translate Newsletter" at the top of the screen and select the language you wish to read it in.
- If you are viewing the newsletter on your laptop, look at the top right side of the newsletter at the Accessibility Bar and click on the "Translate Newsletter" option.
MCKINNEY-VENTO ACT: NORTHWOOD IS HERE TO HELP
If you believe you may be eligible, contact Lower School Counselor (K-4) Ms. Lozandieu at firstname.lastname@example.org or Upper School Counselor (5-8) Mr. Whitlatch at email@example.com to find out what services and supports may be available!
This is on Northwood''s home page and includes an Instructional, Technology, and Community Hub. The Student/Parent Technology Help Desk is located within the Technology Hub.
Important Dates on the Horizon
Tuesday, August 24th, Virtual Parent Town Hall, 6:00 pm
Thursday, August 26th, in-person Kindergarten Orientation, 5:00 -6:00 pm
Monday, August 30th, First of Scool Day for Grades K- 8
Monday, September 6th, School Closed in observance of Labor Day
Tuesday, September 7th, School Closed in observance of Rosh Hashanah
Thursday, September 9th, Back to School Night, from 6:00-7:30 pm
Wednesday, September 15th, Board Meeting
Thursday, September 16th, School Closed in observance of Yom Kippur