Teach Like a Pirate
J.R. Irvin Elementary Weekly Staff Newsletter - vol 2
TLAP quote of the Week
Teacher of the Week~ Jill Dunegan
My name is Jill Dunegan. This is my 19th year in teaching, and my first year in first grade. I can already tell that I'm going to love it!
I got my teaching degree from The University of Texas at Austin (HOOK 'EM HORNS) where my daughter, Macy, is currently a junior studying economics. My son Sam is working and a freshman at Navarro College. I've been married 23 years to Dan, who happens to be an Aggie graduate of Texas A&M. Yes, we are a house divided. :)
- Morning Assembly Helpers - Braun
- 9/7 No School!!!
- 9/8 Committees (Sunshine, Nighttime and Student Awards) 3:15pm-4:15pm
- 9/8 6:00 2nd grade parent meeting; 6:30 PTV meeting
- 9/9 SAT Process/RTI Meetings during conference - in conference room
- 9/10 6:00 Kinder parent night
- 9/11 Spirit Day PTV Sales During Lunch
- 9/14 6:00 5th grade Parent Night; 6:45 3rd grade Parent Night
- 9/15 Staff Meeting 3:15-4:15
- 9/16 Grade Level Meetings-Bring ring binder
- 9/18 Spirit Day; Fire Drill - time to be determined
- ISIP Window Opens 9/1-9/16
- 9/8 Reading Testing Window Opens
- 9/8 Math Screener Testing Window Opens
Get Connected to HWT’s Free Online Resources
1. Go to http://www.hwtears.com/texas
2. In the upper right corner, click on Login.
3. Under Don’t have an account?, click on Sign up for a free account here.
4. Enter your information using your home address as Billing address, and your district email for your email address. (This is what will give you permission to use the free resources for the TX adoption.)
5. Select your own password, and be sure to remember it!
6. Once you are registered, login in using your district email as your username and your selected password each time you login.
What Resources are available?
Explore the website for a plethora of wonderful teaching tools, instructional videos, a Screener of Handwriting Proficiency, and much more, by clicking on the links in the light blue box on the left pane!
Be sure to click on For Adopted Districts, as this is where you access the resources specific to your district. These include: http://www.hwtears.com/texas/adopted-districts
1. Full versions of the Rock, Rap, Tap & Learn CD (music)
2. Digital Teacher’s Guides
3. Digital Teaching Tools, which can be used with your Smart Boards (and other interactive whiteboards) to help with stroke formation
4. A+ Worksheet Maker, which can be used to reinforce handwriting habits in all subjects for grades K-4.
5. New Kindergarten Lessons
6. Spanish workbooks
Please direct any questions to Tara DeSantiago, Curriculum Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org
P is for Pirate
A IS FOR ANCHOR
Rough and constantly shifting educational seas make it easy to get thrown of course. Our guiding principles anchor us. We would be hard-pressed to ding more secure anchors than these:
EVERY CHILD can learn. EVERY CHILD possesses enormous potential just waiting to be unlocked. EVERY CHILD will rise or fall to the level of our expectations.
Empower each student to reach for greatness. Don't settle for anything else!
How do we anchor our students?
Burgess, D. & S. Teach Like a Pirate. (2014). Dave Burgess Consulting. CA: San Diego.
3rd grade: 84%
4th grade: 93% (Highest in district)
5th grade: 89%
Way to go to our teachers and students!!!!
Congratulations to Robyn Braun for 100% passing rate on STAAR!!! AWESOME!!!