Drug Dependency/Substance Abuse
By: Tiffany McConnell
- Alcohol is also known as ethanol
- This substance is normally consumed through drinking
- The desired effect of drinking is to create a buzz, and many use it to reduce stress.
- Alcohol effects the part of the brain that controls movement, judgement, memory, and movement. this causes difficulty walking, slurred speech, lapse in judgment.
- Other health factors and risk are Cancer, Heart Disease, Dementia, Depression, Seizures, Gout.
- This comes in the form of a liquid.
- There are programs like AA better known as alcoholics anonymous, rehab centers.
- The Chemical name of cannabis is Tetrahydrocannabinol
- Cannabis is used for things such as Cancer, Glaucoma, HIV/AIDS, Muscle Spasms, Seizures, Severe Pain, Severe Nausea, Weight Loss.
- The desired effect of cannabis is usually to become happy, or relaxed.(to take away the pain if for a medical reason.)
- Cannabis can affect the brain in ways such as Memory impairment by damage to the hippocampus,cortex, and cerebellum.
- other health affects of cannabis are difficulty thinking, impaired body movement, changes in mood, altered senses (sight, smell)
- Cannabis can be found in forms of things like treats (cookies, candy), oil, and tobacco, and different kinds of edible foods.
- Rehab Centers can be found to help detox off of cannabis.
- Chemical name for cocaine is methyl carboxylate
- Cocaine like many other drugs are used to give energy to stay awake.
- The desired effect of cocaine is used to give a boost of energy,
- Cocaine affects the brain such as memory impairment, and slowly deteriorates the brains function.
- Other Effects of cocaine is difficulty concentrating, inability to feel pleasure, depression and anxiety, fatigue, aches, pains, tremors and chills.
- Cocaine can be found in forms of powder and liquid.
- detoxification treatment available in rehabs and support groups.
- Hallucinogens can have many different chemical names like LSD, etc
- Many people use hallucinogens to relieve stress, have "fun", treat diseases such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, OCD, and dementia.
- The desired to effect of Hallucinogens is to ease the symptoms of a mental illness, escape reality, or relieve stress.
- Hallucinogens affect the brain by seeing things that are not there, Memory Impairment.
- Other affects of Hallucinogens is weakness, nervousness, dizziness, sleepiness, etc.
- Hallucinogens can be found in forms such as pill, liquid, powder or even paper.
- Detox therapies include rehab and winging off of the substances at a hospital or rehab
- Heroin is used as morphine and that is used in hospitals to treat pain and is used to withdraw off of other drugs.
- Many use heroin for relaxation or to battle withdrawal symptoms in the form of morphine from other illegal drugs. Some even say that they take it for the initial "rush"
- Heroin affects the brain in ways such as it the opioid receptors that are located in many areas of your brain and body, this causes an impairs your brain stem, this also affects your blood pressure, arousal, and respiration.
- Other health effects is that it can cause coma and numerous neurological and psychological effects as well as permanent brain damage.
- This can be found in forms of powder, liquid and a tobacco
- Detoxification programs available for heroin addiction and abuse is medication (Buprenophine, Naltrexone, and methadone) to slowly withdraw you from the drug, also you can do behavioral therapies available as an outpatient to control behavior using points to earn healthy living.
- The desired effect of meth is in order to gain a pleasure feeling and many take several doses to get the "binge and crash" effect. but also some doctors may prescribe methamphetamine to control hyperactivity disorder.
- Meth affects the brain in that it increases the neurotransmitter dopamine, this causes an increase in chemical levels in the brain that is involved in motivation, experience of pleasure, and motor function.
- Meth can raise the risk of contracting an infectious disease like HIV and Hepatitis B and C. Meth can also progress the stage of HIV. it can cause extreme skin sores from scratching.
- Meth comes in forms of powder that is a brown, yellowish gray, orange and pink, it can also come in pill form and can be sniffed, smocked, or injected. Crystal Meth comes in chunky crystals that look like ice and are usually smoked.
- Rehabs are often were meth addicts go, and you go to one that specializes in the kind of drug you are addicted to.
- The desired effect of nicotine is to relax you, they want to be stress free so they turn to nicotine to get that desired relaxation.
- Nicotine effects the brain in ways such as it increases the level of Dopamine, a neurotransmitter in the brain, this causes you to feel pleasure and reward which is why it is hard to smoke.
- Other health effects of nicotine is that it can cause various problems for example; smoking even lightly can cause early death by a half, and smoking 15 triples the risk.
- nicotine comes in an oily liquid that comes in pills, tobacco and more.
- There are several ways that you can quit your addiction, patches gum and this will slowly wing you off of nicotine.
- The desired effect of painkillers is exactly what it says, its to take away the pain of an injury, infection, etc.
- Painkillers affect the brain in ways such as it interferes with the messages being sent to the spinal cord. This causes chemical changes in the brain which kills brain cells, killing of brain cells can cause problems in cognition, learning and memories. painkillers can cause problems in nerve cells.
- Some pain medicine does have side effects like nausea, dizziness, and even death.
- Painkillers can be found in pills, powder, a syrup and liquid.
- Rehabs are available as well as well as in and out patients services to patients with pain killer addiction or abuse of painkillers