Friday, September 8, 2017
Follow us on Twitter: @FranklinBolts
School Hours (M-Th, 7:50-2:50 & F, 7:50-1:20)
- President: Rafael Jacobo
- Secretary: Charu Chawla
- Treasurer: Dawn Herkelman
- Volunteer Coordinator: Deanne LaGrange
With the Labor Day holiday our next meeting is Monday, September 11 at 11:00AM. We hope to see you there!
When students move from elementary to middle school, parents often start thinking about high school graduation and life thereafter. It’s easy to get overwhelmed by all of the information out there, or to feel frustrated after fruitless attempts to get your child interested in potential colleges or careers.
The vision of the Cedar Rapids Community School District (CRCSD) – Every Learner:Future Ready - is intended to get students thinking about their futures and to ensure they achieve college and career readiness and lifelong success.
To do this, we need your help! Your answers to the short survey linked below will help our teachers, school counselors, other district representatives, and Kuder, an Iowa-based career guidance expert, build online tools and resources that you and your student can use to explore future careers, plan college experiences, and build the best future.
Click here or the link below to begin or use the QR code below to access the survey.
Period 2-Extended Learning
The Iowa Department of Education explains MTSS as: Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) in Iowa, also known as Response to Intervention or RtI, is an every-education decision-making framework of evidence-based practices in instruction and assessment that addresses the needs of all students. As an every-education process, MTSS allows educators to judge the overall health of their educational system by examining data on the educational system as well as identifying students who need additional supports.
This year at Franklin we will continue to provide additional supports to all students. We have looked at our data and highlighted areas for growth. All students will have access to additional math, reading, and study skills support. Enrichment units will be provided as well to keep students engaged in learning that goes beyond the scope of the normal curriculum. Our overall goal is to meet students where they are, and engage them in a process that will allow them to grow as learners.
- Students must have a pass from the Attendance office if tardy to first hour.
- Students may accumulate 3 tardies without receiving consequences.
- Upon receiving the 4th tardy and up to 9 tardies, students will be required to serve a lunch detention in the Student Success Center.
- When a student accumulates 10 or more tardies, during a quarter, they will then be required to make the time up after school on Friday afternoons in the Student Support Center.
- 10-15 cumulative tardies will be for 1 hour
- 16-or more cumulative tardies will be for 2 hours
- Tardy counts will reset each quarter.
Please let us know if we can help support your families.
Later this month we begin our annual fundraiser, The Magazine Sales. Very soon all our students will attend a kickoff assembly informing them of how the magazine sales work and how the work they do directly impacts activities here at Franklin. We will have two turn-in days: Wednesday, September 27 & Wednesday, October 4.
Be on the lookout for a special e-Newsletter with information for this year's Magazine Sales. This is the sole fundraiser we do to raise money that goes into our Activities Account. The growing need still exists for a healthy school budget. This is made increasingly more difficult with the continued decline in the state's funding of schools. Funds from our fundraising program are used in a variety of ways. Here are just a few examples of the ways our monies are being put to use for your students:
- Art Club: (Supplies)
- Science Olympiads: (Supplies, Team entries for contests, other related expenses)
- Bolt Buddies: (Supplies related to the activities done by this group)
- Drama/Musical: (Supplies, equipment, and other cost related to performance expenses)
- Jazz Band: (Contest fees, equipment not covered under district funding, additional music, extra travel expenses)
- Chamber Orchestra: (Contest fees, equipment not covered under district funding, additional music, travel expenses)
- Illumination: (Contest fees, equipment not covered under district funding, additional music, travel expenses, uniforms)
- Technology Purchases (Project Lead the Way supplies, PE, resources to assist in classroom throughout the building)
- Student Council: (Workshop expenses, registration fees, community service projects)
- Assemblies: (Special presentations from outside groups for all grade levels)
- Grade Level: (Allocations for awards and all grade/team activities)
- PBIS: (Building wide rewards, supplies, materials)
- Year Book: (Printing and supplies related to publication)
- Curriculum: (Materials that go above and beyond the standard curriculum used or for extensions of classwork)
- Athletic teams: (Replacement of uniforms, equipment, and materials)
- Library: (Supplies and materials above and beyond the supported district budget)
Follow the link to our website for a one-stop-shop for all magazine-related information: http://franklin.cr.k12.ia.us/activities/Magazine-Sales/
Friday Theme Days
Fall Sports Are Up & Running
Our Cross Country team is featured today.
6th Grade Debut Concert
We will communicate an arrival date of school pictures for those families that attended Back to School Night on Thursday, August 17. Students will have these distributed by their homeroom teacher.
For those families unable to attend Back to School Night or those families needing re-takes we will have HR Imaging back at Franklin on Tuesday, September 12. See the instructions below:
- NO PICTURE TAKEN: Your child can pick up a packet in the main office. Click on the link for online order information: https://shop.hrimaging.com/shop/school.aspx?pid=0
- RE-TAKE: Students will need to bring their picture packets back to school on the day of re-takes.
Kingston Stadium MS Seating
If students plan to attend a football game at Kingston Stadium, they MUST have their student ID to purchase a ticket and/or enter the gates. If they do not have a student ID, there must be a paid adult that enters the game with them. Expected pick up time for middle school students is 9:30 pm.
We know many of our students enjoy going to Kingston Stadium on Thursday and Friday to support our area high schools. For middle schools attending there will be an assigned section. This will be in the north end of the stadium. There will be signs directing students to this section. Students that attend with their families also have the option to sit with their parents.
- PTA Meeting, 11:00AM in 300 Conference Room
- Volleyball: 7th @ Oak Ridge / 8th @ Home
- Girls' Soccer: @ McKinley
- 7th Football: @ Kingston vs.
Tuesday, September 12
- Picture Re-takes
- Boys' Tennis: @ Washington vs. Prairie
- 8th Football: @ Regis
- Show Choir Auditions, 3:00-5:00PM
Thursday, September 14
- Show Choir Auditions, 3:00-5:00PM
- 8th Volleyball @ IC Northwest Jr. High
- Boys' Tennis: @ Regis
- 7th Football: @ Linn-Mar Excelsior
Monday, September 18
- Magazine Kickoff Assembly
- Volleyball: 7th @ Roosevelt / 8th @ Home
- Soccer: @ Wilson
Tuesday, September 19
- Boys' Tennis: @ Linn-Mar Excelsior
- 8th Football @ Linn-Mar Oak Ridge
- Cross Country: @ Center Point
Thursday, September 21
- Volleyball: 7th @ Home / 8th @ McKinley
- Boys' Tennis: @ Washington vs. Harding
- 7th Football: @ Harding
Friday, September 22
- All-School Cookout During Lunch: This will take the place of the student's lunch. They will have the choice of hamburger or hot dog.
WHS Picnic in the Park
Tuesday, Sep. 12th, 4-6:30pm
Redmond Park, Cedar Rapids, IA, United States
Cedar Rapids, IA
FREE FOOD & BEVERAGES, RAFFLES, GAMES, MUSIC & SCHOOL SUPPLIES!!!
Please join us for the 3rd Annual WHS Picnic in the Park next week, Sept. 12, in Redmond Park (3rd Ave. SE and Park). At this FREE event, WHS Staff will be grilling hot dogs, making snow cones, and raffling WHS gear and other fun stuff 4:00-6:30PM. Everyone is welcome -- Current, Alum and FUTURE Warrior families, and neighbors!