FHS Principal's Newsletter 3/17/23
Compiled by the PTSA
¿Necesita traducción? Haga clic en el enlace "Traducir Newsletter" a la derecha (cuando haya iniciado sesión en una computadora) para seleccionar su idioma. Para traducir desde su dispositivo móvil, haga clic en el icono de la persona y seleccione su idioma.
Cần dịch? Nhấp vào liên kết "Dịch Bản tin" ở bên phải (khi đăng nhập vào máy tính) để chọn ngôn ngữ của bạn. Để dịch từ thiết bị di động của bạn, hãy nhấp vào biểu tượng hình người và chọn ngôn ngữ của bạn.
Нужен перевод? Щелкните ссылку «Перевести информационный бюллетень» справа (при входе в систему на компьютере), чтобы выбрать свой язык. Чтобы перевести с мобильного устройства, щелкните значок человека и выберите свой язык.
Important Upcoming Dates
Monday, March 20th - Friday, March 24th: ASB Spirit Week
Tuesday, March 21st, 6:30-8:30pm, Room M-223 and M-224: Suicide Prevention Training
Wednesday, March 22nd: SAT Day (for all 11th graders); all students released at 1:30
Thursday, March 23rd, 9:30am-1:30pm: Franklin's Shift at the PTA Clothing Center
Monday, March 27th-Friday, March 31st: Spring Break/NO SCHOOL
Tuesday, April 4th, 6:00-8:30pm, Main Hall & Cafeteria: BIPOC Parents Night
Franklin Families and Students,
This week we were excited to welcome students back and were appreciative of the opportunity to be in community and heal together. We are grateful to our students, staff, partners, and families who created space for students to talk, reflect, and take the next steps together as we move forward as a community.
Spring is also in the air and last week kicked off spring sports, the final sports season of the year. We are excited to enjoy the spring weather and cheer on our Franklin Lightning athletes involved in track & field, softball, baseball, tennis, and golf. Please be sure to check the OSAA website and Trivory for event schedules.
NEW: Last Day of School is June 14th
Due to the inclement weather school closures in February, there will be 1 make-up day added to the 2022-23 school year. Wednesday, June 14th will now be the last day of school for Pre-Kindergarten - 11th Grade. Because of the senior graduation schedules, the last day for 12th graders, June 1st, will be extended to a full day.
Each year, there are three days on the district calendar designated for inclement weather. We are using one of those days this year to restore instructional hours lost to inclement weather and to ensure compliance with instructional time requirements of the state. Weather permitting, these will be the final changes to the 2022-23 calendar.
NEXT WEEK: FREE Suicide Prevention Training
On Tuesday, March 21st, 6:30-8:30 pm: Lines for Life will offer a 2 hour Suicide Prevention Training for Parents/Caregivers (70 person limit)
WHAT: Learn how to recognize the warning signs of suicide, how to offer hope and how to get help and save a life
WHERE: FHS Classrooms M-223 and M-224
WHO: Any interested FHS Parent/Guardian
RSVP: Please RSVP here for planning purposes
Questions? Email Holly Vaughn-Edmonds, School Social Worker
NEXT WEEK: SAT Day on March 22nd
- Be sure to get a good night of sleep and eat breakfast prior to testing.
- Students will be finished by 12:45 and lunch is available in the cafeteria.
- Students who are testing with their accommodations will also report to the gym and go to the basement and may be finished as late as 2pm.
- Please don't forget your student ID!
If you have questions please direct them to testing coordinator Alice Headley or VP Alfredo Quintero.
NEW: Career Exploration Day on March 22nd
Wednesday, March 22nd is Career Exploration Day for students not taking the SAT. This serves as an opportunity for students to reflect and begin plans for life after school and work towards earning a Career Related Learning Experience (CRLE) which is a graduation requirement for students.
All students in grades 9,10 & 12, and any other students not taking the SAT, are expected to participate and attendance will be taken on this day.
- On this day we will run a special schedule, with an 8:30am-12:45pm academic day.
- Lunch will be served in the cafeteria from 12:45-1:30pm.
- Students will be expected to leave the building by 1:30pm for staff to prepare for collaboration and planning.
All students will report to school at 8:30AM:
9th, 10th, & 12 graders, will report to the Main Building for Career Exploration activities.
11th Grade test takers will report to the Gym for testing.
Bus Schedule (For students who use Transportation Services)
Arrival: Buses will be arriving at 1:15pm
Departure: Buses will depart no later than 1:35-1:40pm
NEW: Spirit Week
- Monday, March 20th: Minion Monday
- Tuesday, March 21st: Dress Like Your Teacher
- Wednesday, March 22nd: Cozy Day
- Thursday, March 23rd: Album Cover Day
- Friday, March 24th: Vacation Fits
BIPOC Parents' Night
Tuesday, April 4th, 6:00-8:30 pm: Social and Emotional Wellness Night for BIPOC Families
WHAT: Meet, eat and mingle at a Resource Fair with our Community Partners (6:00-6:45 pm); Gather, discuss and learn in affinity spaces from presenters about how to support wellness in our communities. Black/African, Latino, Asian American (Mandarin, Cantonese,Vietnamese), Pacific Islander, and Native American spaces offered
WHERE: FHS Main Hallway, Cafeteria, Break Out Spaces Provided That Evening
WHO: Any BIPOC-identified FHS family
RSVP: Please RSVP here for planning purposes
Questions? Email Holly Vaughn-Edmonds, School Social Worker
NEW: Franklin Mock Trial Wins 5th Place at State!
This past weekend the Mock Trial team had an outstanding performance at the state tournament where they won 5th place. We want to congratulate Mr. Halberg and the Mock Trial team for their valiant effort and representing Franklin in such an exceptional manner. We are proud of you!!
NEW: Band PIL District Solo/Ensemble Festival Results
The Franklin band department is proud to announce that many of our Franklin musicians have qualified for STATE at the PIL District Solo/Ensemble Festival this past week. In addition, our Franklin Wind Ensemble has also received qualifying scores for the 6A State Band Championships.
PIL District Solo/Ensemble Festival Results:
- Sax Quartet (Small Woodwind 2-4 players): PIL Champion State Qualifier
- Percussion Ensemble (Large Ensemble 5-16 players): PIL Champion State Qualifier
- Clarinet Choir (Large Woodwind 5-16 players): 3rd Place Alt to STATE
- Leo Edwards (Marimba): 2nd Place Alt to STATE
- Alix Eckelberg-Barry (French Horn): 2nd Place Alt to STATE
- Opal Rockett (Cello): 3rd Place Alt to STATE
- Faye Duffy (Alto Sax): 3rd Place Alt to STATE
Arts Alive Tickets on Sale
Any member of the community can receive two free tickets to their show of their choice by volunteering to help put this massive production on. Win, win!
- Franklin's Shift at the PTA Clothing Center: March 23rd
- Arts Alive: Ongoing through April 29th
- Plant Sale Pick-Up Day: May 3rd
- Staff Appreciation Week: May 8th-12th (keep checking back because this will be updated)
Second Annual Plant Sale
Here are the details:
- Orders Due: Tuesday, April 11th
- Pick-Up Date: Wednesday, May 3rd, 11:30am-4:00pm
- Place your Orders Here (and please consider making a donation for every staff member to receive a plant)
- Sign Up to Help on Pick-Up Day Here
Please help us spread the word to your neighbors & friends. We will also be having a sale for the public from 4:00-7:00pm on Wednesday, May 3rd at the main entrance of the school for people who would rather see the products in person (stock will be limited!).
NEXT WEEK: PTA Clothing Center
Volunteers are needed for Franklin's turn at the PTA Clothing Center located at Marshall Campus (Room B-60) on Thursday, March 23rd.
This helpful service exists only because of wonderful volunteers like you! We're looking for 5-6 people to help sort donations or be a "personal shopper" for families who are selecting clothing. The hours are from 9:30am to 1:30pm (you are welcome to work a partial shift if needed, but please note that in the comments). Thank you!
NEW: Donations To Pay Off Late Lunch Fees
SAVE THE DATE! Our 2023 student Poetry Slam will take place on Thursday, April 13th in the library at 6pm. Refreshments will be served alongside heartbreaking, mind melting, spirit moving, original spoken word student poetry.
NEW: Class of 2023 Important Dates
Thursday, March 23rd, 10:45am: Mandatory Senior Class Meeting
- Receive important information regarding diploma requirements, 60 day rule, commencement, and everything else graduation-related. This meeting will be held in the Auditorium.
Monday, April 3rd: 60-Day Rule Takes Effect
- A reminder for students and families: Per PPS Policy 4.20.046-AD Portland Public Schools Graduation and Commencement Related Activities, "Seniors may be disqualified from participation in commencement exercises and related activities if within 60 days of the last senior school day they are found to be in violation of District Drug (including vaping) and Alcohol policy or any violation resulting in a Level 3 disciplinary action (suspension) or greater (example: fighting)."
Thursday, April 6th: Pick Up Graduation Orders
- Jostens will be at Franklin High School to deliver graduation orders during tutorial in the lobby of Franklin’s Auditorium.
- If you still need to place a graduation order, please do so as quickly as possible.
Please visit the Senior Corner for important dates and up-to-date information. You may also contact Sheila Dygert by email (email@example.com) or call 503-916-5140 ext 84353.
Varsity Cheer Coach Needed
Franklin is looking for a Head Cheer Coach. If you are interested or know someone that is seeking to gain experience as a coach or wants to pursue a cheer coaching career here is a wonderful opportunity.
Please have them apply on the PPS website PPS Employment. Job ID #25691
Interested candidates can also contact Franklin Athletic Director Matt York.
Because game schedules are subject to frequent, often last-minute changes, we don't publish them in this newsletter. Please bookmark this page to have easy access to up-to-date game info.
Community Approved Fliers
Below is the list of fliers approved for distribution directly to students:
Vibe of Portland Spring Break Camp
PPS 2023 Multilingual Family Conference, March 11 @ McDaniel HS
PPS Supplemental Transportation Plan, Phase I Schools Flier
Vibe of Portland Illustration and Cartooning Workshop
Multnomah County Student Health Centers: Catch up on School Vaccines Now!
(English & Spanish)
Portland Parks & Recreation Preschool 2023-2024
Portland Metro Fire Camp (for young women ages 16-22)
Vibe of Portland East Winds Summer Band Camp
Oregon State University STEM Academy Winter 2023 AWSEM Club (Advocates for Women in Science, Engineering, and Math (English) (Spanish)
Multnomah County February School Immunization Clinics
(Spanish) (Chinese) (Somali) (Russian) (Vietnamese) (Ukrainian) (Swahili)
Multnomah County Free Community Vaccination Clinic
Multnomah County Student Health Center Vaccination Outreach (English & Spanish)
Vibe of Portland No-School Art Workshops (Jan & Feb)
Vibe of Portland Winter Music Classes
Vibe of Portland Studio Classes Begin Soon
Saturday Academy Apprenticeships in Science & Engineering Program
Tech Youth Project Winter Sports Clinics 2022-2023
PSU Sonic Arts & Music Production Academy Winter 2023 sessions (starting Jan. 6)
City of Portland 311 Non-Emergency Hotline
(Spanish) (Vietnamese) (Chinese) (Russian) (Somali)
Oregon State University Summer Reading Program 2023
Multnomah Early Childhood Program Preschool Classes
Kaiser Permanente CASCADIA COVID-19 screening study (English)
(Spanish) (Russian) (Amharic) (Chinese) (Vietnamese)
Vibe of Portland 2022-23 Art Camps & Classes
- Portland Parks & Recreation Preschool 2022-23 Registration
We run items in the Principal's Newsletter for two weeks unless there is a good
reason to run them longer. To submit an item, email firstname.lastname@example.org or
fill out this form by 4pm on Thursday. You can find past issues of the Newsletter
under the PTSA tab on the FHS website or on our Smore homepage.
There is a lot going on at Franklin. Make sure to download Trivory, bookmark the FHS website, and follow the FHS Facebook page and PTSA Facebook page for the latest information.
Please link your Amazon & Fred Meyer Rewards accounts to Franklin High School PTSA
to support us at no additional cost to you!