Back to School News 2019-2020
Hawley Elementary School ~ August 9, 2019
From the Desk of Mr. Moretti
I hope that you are having a terrific summer making memories with family and friends. There is still some time to get to those things not yet done. We have been busy gearing up for the start of an exciting new school year.
We are looking forward to seeing all our returning faces and welcoming our new students and families to the Hawley School Community.
I wanted to take a moment and share some information that might be helpful for you to have prior to the start of school. As always, if you have any unanswered questions, do not hesitate to contact me.
See you soon-
Excited Hawley Principal
Welcome Back from Ms. Connors
Dear Hawley Families,
Welcome back to school! I am so excited for the 2019-2020 school year. I have enjoyed my summer, relaxing and vacationing with my children, and I am now looking forward to all of the energy and excitement that a new school year brings. I am busy preparing for our opening days and cannot wait to see all of the smiling faces at the walk through on August 23rd and in the halls on our first day. In the meantime, enjoy the remaining days of summer. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns as the school year approaches.
- Madeline Tatto was an amazing building sub for us last year. She will be joining our 4th grade team this year. She takes over for Mrs. Shanahan who is moving to 1st grade. Mrs. Shanahan fills the whole left by Mrs. Cappelli as she moves to Kindergarten as we added a section.
- Sierra Markelon is also teaching 4th grade this year as we have added a section to accommodate class size and student need.
- Julie Schwartz will be joining Mrs. Grimaldi in the office as Mrs. Petrovitch has relocated to the middle school to help out in their guidance department.
- All returning families should already have a current, active account as this is how Teacher Placement and Progress Reports are accessed.
New Families/Kindergarten Parents:
- You were mailed out information and passwords for setting up a ParentPortal account
- If you do not receive your letter with student numbers and passwords to set up an account in the ParentPortal by Monday, please call the school and we will give you the information.
- We will need to have all required registration information for new students to be assigned to a classroom and for them to be able to begin school.
If anyone experiences difficulty creating or accessing accounts, please do not hesitate to contact the main office at 203.426.7666.
Bus numbers with routes and times will be available in the Newtown Bee as part of their Back To School Section coming out soon.
- In the morning, buses stop at Hawley first and then go to Reed.
- In the afternoon, Reed students are picked up first and buses then come to Hawley.
- Reed students, in the afternoon, transfer from the shuttle buses to the bus they take home.
- Students being picked-up after school need a note saying so. Notes can be sent in as needed, daily, or a permanent one-time note (ex. everyday, every Tuesday).
- Notes about a student being picked-up should be sent in to whichever school the student attends (Hawley/Reed). Reed will communicate this information to us.
- All pick-ups occur in the gym (see procedures under drop off/pick up)
- Reed students WITH Hawley siblings can be picked-up together at Hawley. We get a list of pick-ups from Reed, the Reed student gets off the shuttle, walks in the front door, and meets their sibling and you in the gym.
- No Reed student is picked-up at Hawley if there is no sibling attending Hawley. They are picked-up at Reed.
- A walker is defined as a student that walks off the school campus with no adult. If a parent meets a student, even if they walk home together, they are considered a pick-up and will be met by the parent in the gym with all pick-ups.
- Walkers gather in our lobby, check in with our guard and then leave.
- Reed students can meet a sibling in the lobby, check in with our guard, and walk as well.
- There is a waiver that needs to be signed giving permission to walk and taking responsibility for safe routes. The waiver is available on our school website or by clicking HERE.
- Each year, buses are delayed the first few days of school as routes and stops are ironed out and tweaked.
- Per District Protocol: Bus Passes (for riding a different bus home) are not allowed. In the event there is an emergency situation: 1. please call the bus company to make sure there is room for your student on the bus; 2. the bus company will then notify the school; 3. the school will write a bus pass and notify the teacher. We will not put a student on a different bus without hearing directly from the bus company.
- If your child goes to different locations during the week (ex. daycare Tuesday and Thursday) in which bus transportation is available, you can fill out an Alternative Bus Stop Form. The form is available on the Hawley school website or by clicking HERE.
- If you are allowing your student to be dropped off at a bus stop with no adult present, a Bus Drop Off Waiver form must be filled out. The form is available on the Hawley school website or by clicking HERE
Your patience the first few weeks is greatly appreciated. Please arrive at stops a little early and remain a little afterward to be safe. Let the bus company know directly if there are any issues.
You certainly can also feel free to contact me with any questions that you may have.
Drop Off / Pick Up / Parking Procedures
At Hawley School, parking is a luxury. We only have 1 entrance/exit, a narrow drive-way and barely enough parking spaces for staff. Our School Community has always been extremely patient, flexible and courteous when it comes to this and it has always been greatly appreciated.
Click HERE for an overview of all drop-off, pick-up and parking procedures.
- District School Calendar 2019/2010: click here
- 2018-2019 Supply Lists: click here
- District Early Release and Delayed Opening Professional Development Days: click here for a complete list.
- Volunteering: All people wanting to volunteer at Hawley School (which includes chaperoning field trips) must fill out a Volunteer Information and Waiver of Liability Form each year (yes, you have to fill it out again even if you filled it out last year ;0) The form is available on our website or by clicking here.
- Current/Updated Contact Information: It is imperative that our database contains updated and accurate information. This includes, but is not limited to, addresses and all phone numbers, local emergency contacts, and the email addresses that you would like to use to receive school communications. Our 1st Day Packet will contain directions on how to log in, set up an account, and use the Parent Portal in PowerSchool. New families have had this already mailed to them.
- Student Pictures: There are many wonderful events that occur throughout the year at Hawley School. We love to share pictures of them with you through our website, newsletters, Twitter and the Newtown Bee. We can only use your child's likeness with your yearly permission. You can grant this by updating your student's information in PowerSchool using the ParentPortal. Again, we need permission granted each year.
Dates To Remember
- Mon, Aug 12 (around 9:00 AM): ParentPortal opens with student placement information.
- Fri, Aug 23: PTA Kindergarten Bus Run, 8:00 am-9:30 am.
- Fri, Aug 23: Parent/Student Walkthrough, 9:30 am-10:30 am*.
Mon, Augt 26: 1st Day of School
Mon-Wed, Aug 26-28: 3-hr Early Dismissal (12:37)
- Mon, Sept 2: NO SCHOOL (Labor Day)
- Wed, Sept 4: K-2 Open House
- Thurs, Sept 5: Grades 3 & 4 Open House
- Mon, Sept 23: PTA Ice Cream Social (tentative)
- Mon, Sept 30: NO SCHOOL (Rosh Hashanah)
*Please note: Teachers will be attending a Professional Development Meeting at 10:40 am, so parents and students leaving promptly is greatly appreciated.
A Video Message to Kids From Mr. Moretti
~ Funny Bones ~
- For us to use your child's likeness, we need your permission. Permission must be given yearly. You can grant it via the ParentPortal.
There are so many ways for you to be involved in your child's education. Please find a way to lend your time and talents.
Thank you for all that you do. If you have any difficulties opening links, if any information is confusing, or if there are any questions that you have, please reach out to me.