GIS School Newsletter
A Message From the Principal
The Gaylord Intermediate School Staff cannot begin to express how excited we are to see each and every student in a couple of weeks. As you can imagine, much thought and many hours have been put into planning and preparing for a smooth and safe start to the 2022-23 school year. Over the summer Mrs. Putnam accepted a new position with our ESD and I have shifted into the new role as principal. It remains an honor and privilege to continue serving as your school administrator this year. We are currently searching for the new assistant principal and hope to have one in place at the start of the school year. The GIS teachers and support staff have been working hard since we were last in school and we are ready to help our students continue to grow on their journey to accessing a challenging curriculum in a safe, nurturing environment. We want each and every student to enjoy coming to school, to meet their goals, to build relationships, to practice healthy hygiene, and to have a successful school year. We know we cannot do this alone and we look forward to partnering with you to make this happen. Even with the hours of careful planning to safely return students to our building, we may have to make adjustments along the way. Please know that it is our goal to do whatever it takes to make this a safe and academically sound school year. Enjoy the rest of your summer and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Who is my Student's Teacher?
- Letter with Teacher Placement
- Student Information Record
- Directory Opt Out (optional)
- Student/Parent Agreement Signature Page
Please review the documents and complete items 2-4. The completed documents can be brought to the teacher at our Open House or 1st day of school. We appreciate you completing these required documents in a timely manner so we have the most up to date information for our students.
GIS OPEN HOUSE
Other Information You Need To know
- The School Day- School Begins at 7:44 AM and ends at 2:34 PM
- Communication - To stay informed with what is happening at GIS, it is important that your contact information stays current throughout the school year. Please make sure that you have updated your contact information on your child's emergency card or call the school office with any changes throughout the year. Most of our communication is sent electronically and it is important that we can keep you informed.
- Signing Students In and Out of School - When bringing your child after the start of the school day or picking your child up before the end of the school day, we need you to come in and sign him/her in or out. Students cannot sign themselves in or out.
- Instant Alert Update - Our school district utilizes an automated system to notify parents of important events, such as school closings. These notifications, which enable us to get information out to thousands of students and their families in a matter of minutes, depend upon us having accurate contact information. Please make sure that you have current contact information in the GIS office so that you receive the alerts. If you have any questions or need to make a change to your contact information, please call the GIS office at (989) 731-0856.
- School Entrance - Access to the office will be through the front doors by the office. We continue to value our educational partnerships with our parents. Parents will be allowed to sign their child in and out of school or they can make an appointment for other matters.
- Lockers - Fifth and sixth graders will be assigned a locker.
- School Supply List - Please click the link for an optional school supply list.
Grade Level School Supply List
- Breakfast and Lunch - Students will eat breakfast and lunch in the cafeteria. Breakfast and Lunch are no longer free to students. Gaylord Community Schools have mailed the free and reduced lunch applications. If your child qualifies, please fill out the application and return via mail, email, or applications may be done online by visiting www.gaylordschools.com.
For questions, please call 989-731-0969 EXT. 1254.
- Band - At this time we are planning on offering band to our sixth grade students. Ms. Olson will be sharing band information with the sixth graders the first couple weeks of school during music class.
- 1:1 Student Devices - Chromebooks will be housed in each classroom and infused into the daily instruction.
- STEM Lab - This year our students will be using our new STEM Lab during their computer special class. We are putting the finishing touches on the lab and it should be ready for our students at the start of school. (See picture below)
- Busing - Parents will receive confirmation via Text and/or E-mail through Gaylord Schools Messaging System of route number, at that time we will have AM and PM estimated pick-up and drop-off times located on the GCS Webpage. Please allow extra time in the beginning as we are establishing routes.
- Transportation Changes - Please call the school office as early in the day as you can (before 1:30 PM) if your child will need to go home in a manner that is different than s/he normally does. Students who do not have written parental permission or a phone call note from the office are not to make changes in how they go home or where they go after school.
Claude Shannon Stem Lab at GIS!!!
Student Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
- Student Arrival/Dismissal - The 2022-23 school day is 7:44 AM - 2:34 PM. Students being dropped off prior to 7:44 have a choice between coming in the building to purchase a breakfast and eat in the cafeteria, or being dropped off in our parent parking lot for the playground. (Our 4th grade drop off point during the 2021-22 school year) Student supervision begins at 7:25.
- Traffic Pattern - Please click the link GIS TRAFFIC FLOW for an image of drop off and pick up traffic flow.
- Bus Riders - Bus riders will enter the gym doors at 7:44AM and go directly to their classrooms unless they are purchasing a breakfast. Students should NOT be dropped off or picked up in our gym parking lot due to bus safety.