Degan Elementary Eagle Eye
Avengers: Age of Degan--No Excuses!
NEU Saturday was better than I could have dreamed! We had over sixty students walk in our doors at eight o'clock am on Saturday morning. They were ready to be here and when I said, "Are you ready to learn?" they responded with an unprompted cheer! As I walked around that morning and looked at the faces in attendance, it was clear that these were our Eagles who truly needed more time and more attention.
- Our PKers sang songs about animals and each had a stuffed animal in a cage that they fed mini marshmallows.
- Our Kindergarteners jumped on a mini tramp as they counted, they built and discussed and discussed and discussed!
- Our first graders used iPads and the SMART Board while also working to build their reading skills.
- Second graders did Reader's Theater with puppets and competed in teams to do a place value scavenger hunt.
- Third graders were thrilled to try out Versa Tiles in Reading and Math and had a blast with a disco brain break!
- The fourth graders also loved Versa Tiles and used their iPads to practice their calculations and problem solving. They were thrilled to see how much they could grow their reading fluency.
- Fifth graders played games to deepen their applications in Science, they used pom poms in Math and loved using Versa Tiles in Reading!
Students didn't want to leave and asked if we could do it again on Sunday! One of the most important things we can do is instill a love of learning and confidence in their abilities for school. For these students and the extra time that they got at Degan on Saturday, we are making that happen! We are taking steps to ensure everyone is proficient or advanced in Reading, Writing, and Math by overcoming our "beautiful constraint" and making more time for these children. One of the most amazing things was that within twenty minutes of our dismissal, I had received an email from a parent thanking us. Her child who reluctantly walked in the door that morning talked nonstop about his great morning when he got in the car!
We have nine weeks left to make to help our students reach proficient or advanced academically. Their gains this year have been amazing. Some of our students may need more than this year alone to get there, but every stride we make this year makes our jobs easier in future years.
With a grateful heart,
Even though 3/4 of the school year is complete, we have to continually conisder how to build relationships
Week at a Glance
April 4th- Beginning of the 4th 9 Weeks
April 6th-Take Flight and SOAR Numbers due to Megan
April 7th-Think College Thursday (Jeans for those that contributed to Together We Rise)
April 8th-Club Friday 5th/Kinder
Report Cards and SOAR Invitations go home
Club Friday 4th/2nd
Think College Thursday
4th Grade Trip to Austin
End of 1st 3 Weeks of 4th 9 Week Grading Period
Kinder Kick Off
Think College Thursday
Data Meeting (K-2)
Club Friday 3rd/1st