Eagle Band Family Newsletter
There is a LOT of information here, yet ALL of it pertains directly to our awesome band family! Please take plenty of time to read through the entire document as there are helpful links and resources throughout!
Be on the lookout for newsletters in your inbox near the first of each month!
In this issue:
- High School News (LNHS)
- Middle School News (HMS, SVMS)
- Boosters/Fundraising Update
- Upcoming Performances/Events
- Director Wish List
- Senior Spotlight
- Upcoming Auditions/Opportunities/Camps/etc.
- Directors Do Things, Too!
- Contact Information and Helpful Links
If you do not wish to receive these updates, then please click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of this message.
If you wish to receive these updates at a different email address, then please follow this guide to subscribe.
Getting to Know YOU!
WE NEED YOUR HELP!
Please click this link to let us know a bit more about YOU and the unique skills you possess!
Do you like building or fixing things? Are you good with accounting? Do you enjoy data entry and logistics? Are you experienced in a non-profit sector? Are you an expert in website or graphic design? Are you willing simply to show up and help with whatever needs done for the students? We want to know!
The information you provide will be used to help identify individuals to contact for specific tasks we need completed for the Band Family to continue to thrive. We will NOT use your information to spam your inbox!
1. High School News (LNHS)
2. Middle School News (HMS/SVMS)
8th Grade Tour and Evening Performance with the LN Marching Band
The 8th grade Concert Band classes from HMS and SVMS joined the LN Marching Band for morning rehearsal (indoors due to rain)
The 8th graders and select high school band members then performed at FIVE elementary schools during the day!
Then, that same night, everyone performed together at pregame, during the first half, and at halftime of the Friday night game!
7th Grade Cadet Band
6th Grade Beginning Band
3. Band Boosters, Fundraising, and Student Financial Accounts (SFAs)
The Liberty North Band Boosters are a group of parent/guardian/supportive adult volunteers, organized to:
- Support the students, directors, staff, and families.
- Create a sense of community and encourage parent/guardian and student engagement in band and guard activities.
- Raise funds to financially support band and guard programs.
- Promote the program within the community.
The Boosters support ALL of our Band Family, grades 6-12.
Please contact Booster President Amy Konkle with questions, ideas, or to find out ways to get involved! firstname.lastname@example.org. Please see section 9 of this newsletter ("Contact Information") for information on joining their Remind messaging group!
Student Financial Accounts (SFAs)
Student Financial Accounts (SFAs)
Click here to view a detailed explanation of the SFAs. This was the policy originally approved by the district, but currently is undergoing revision by the Boosters and Directors.
Click here to submit parent/guardian contact information for your student(s). Information submitted through this form will only be used by Band Boosters to communicate Student Financial Account (SFA) balance and reimbursement information.
Click here to access the form used to request usage/transfer of SFA funds.
4. Recent/Upcoming LNHS, HMS, and/or SVMS Performances
- Thurs., 10/5 - Nest Fest parade (6:30 p.m. at LNHS)
- Fri., 10/6 - LNHS homecoming football game (7:00 p.m. at LNHS)
- Wed., 10/11 - LNHS 1st hour Advanced Band video auditions/playing test due by 11:59 p.m.
- Fri., 10/13 - LNHS home football game (7:00 p.m. at LNHS); Senior night!
- Sat., 10/21 - Cameron "Marchfest" Marching Band Festival (times TBA)
- TBA - MSHSAA post-season football games
- Fri., 11/3 - LNHS bands to UMKC Crescendo event at Kauffman Center
- Sat., 11/4 - Middle School, High School, Jazz - All-District Auditions (all day at LHS)
5. Wish List
- New Eagle Band attire for the Directors/Coaches/Staff - Help us dress for success! (We cannot use our school budget money for this, so we would welcome funding for new polo shirts, matching staff jackets, hats, etc.)
- Batteries - 9V, AAA, AA (You would be surprised how many of these we burn through in a year!) - Cost varies by unit
- Recruitment wristbands, stickers, candy, etc. - Cost varies by unit (contact Kelsee.Gardner@lps53.org to help with bracelets and/or stickers!)
- Gift cards - The Boosters/Directors can always use gift cards to local stores to benefit students for trips, special events, performances, equipment, etc. (e.g., Walmart, Target, Hy-Vee, Price Chopper, Amazon, etc.)
- Vending machine for LNHS band room (to include reeds, oil, marching gloves, flip folder pages, etc.) - Cost unknown
- Semi trailer for transporting instruments, uniforms, etc. - Cost unknown
- Scholarship funding for HMS/SVMS/LNHS students - specifically, funds for summer band camps, honor ensemble participation, private lessons fees, etc. (These are NOT currently in place, so we would be looking for someone to help create them AND acquire ongoing funding for them.)
- Korg TM-60BK Tuner/Metronome Combo - approx. $30 each (goal = 25 units)
- New 6' silver flag poles for the guard - approx. $500-600 for 30 poles
- Two tarp carts for winter guard floor tarps - approx. $250 each
6. Senior Spotlight
Favorite band memory - "Definitely my MMEA/All-State experience last year. I had a blast getting to play with high level musicians at state, and then performing with some of my best friends in Wind Symphony was amazing."
Something interesting/unique about me - "I really enjoy hiking and being in the mountains!"
All-District Band x2
All State Band HM
Solo and ensemble exemplary ratings x3
Martin Jacobs Music Excellence Award
Instrument(s)/Equipment - Tuba, String Bass
Favorite band memory - "My Favorite band memory was the trip in Orlando with the rest of the band."
Something interesting/unique about me - "I don't really have anything interesting or unique about me that people don't already know."
Accomplishments/accolades/awards - "I made 6th chair state, I got silver twice on state level solos and gold on 1 state level ensemble, and I have participated in every 'honor band' that was available to me from my freshman year to now."
Mackenzie "Mak" Morgan
Favorite guard memory - "My favorite memories from band would have to be bus rides to competitions. I have a lot of fun talking to people I don't always talk to and goofing off with my friends."
Something interesting/unique about me - "I know how to juggle, I'm not amazing yet but I'm pretty close."
7. Upcoming Auditions/Camps/Workshops/Performance Opportunities
William Jewell Upcoming Events
"Jewell Journey Day" (Friday, October 6) for juniors and seniors interested in doing music in college. There will an opportunity to sit in on ensembles and take a free trial lesson. Register here: https://jewell.edu/join/visit.
Saxophone players may be interested in the Northland Youth Orchestra's first annual KC Saxophone Christmas. The event will be on Sat., Dec. 16, and registration will open in a few weeks.
KC Metro All-District Band / Missouri All-State Band
KC Metro All-District Band auditions (for both middle school AND high school; concert band and jazz band) will occur on Sat., Nov. 4 at Liberty High School.
The Eagle Bands have an incredibly strong tradition of excellence at the District and State levels. For the past two years, we've had more students make the All-District Bands AND the All-STATE Band than any other schools in the state!! Let's keep the streak going!!
HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS - Check out this YouTube channel from MU for audition help and examples!
Northwinds Symphonic Band Young Artist Concerto Competition
The Northwinds Symphonic Band has an annual Concerto Competition for students in grades 9-12. The winner of this competition not only gets to perform with this semi-professional band on one of their concerts, but they also win a cash prize of $1,000.00! (Dr. Doss has had 4 former students win this competition over the years, though I take ZERO credit for their success in this event! I say this only to let you know it is VERY possible to win!)
Information may be found here. Deadline is January 24, 2024.
Northland Symphony Youth Orchestra and Sinfonia
Youth Symphony of Kansas City
Fountain City Youth Brass Academy
8. Directors Do Things, Too!
Dr. Doss Judges Marching Bands
Ms. Gardner and the Northland Symphony Orchestra
9. Contact Information and Helpful Links
LNHS Band Website - libertynorthband.org
Remind Codes (text the code, including the "@" to the number 81010)
- LNHS Concert Band (all grades) - @ln2hr2324
- LNHS Seniors - @lnband24
- LNHS Juniors - @lnband25
- LNHS Sophomores - @lnband26
- LNHS Freshmen - @lnband27
- LNHS Varsity Guard - @lnvguard
Remind Codes for Band Boosters
- 23-24 Juniors, Seniors - @lnhsbandb2
- 23-24 Sophomores - @lnhsbb2026
- 23-24 Freshmen - @lnhsbb2027
- 23-24 8th Grade - @lnhsbb2028