Reading Around the World Using Google Maps
How can Google Maps integrate with Reading?
- Improve student visualization of the world around them by having them pin their settings on the map.
- Bring settings to life by using street view or the maps gallery to see where their stories take place.
- Use a class Map to record "where" we are reading.
- Use each map pin for reading response
- Use individual student Maps to collect the year's reading as a portfolio or time capsule item.
- Trace the routes of events during a unit on historical fiction
- Use a class map to follow a character on their travels in the story
I've included three examples below. One is my own personal map, where I record the books I read for the year by setting. The second could be a student map where they could also include a reading response, setting research, etc. Finally, the third photo is the street view for the setting of Number the Stars. Street view is a great way to help students get to know their settings.