Institute Day Information
August 14-15, 2017
Please refer to this newsletter for information regarding the opening Institute Days on August 14th and 15th.
Monday, August 14th
August 14, 2017
8am - 9am
Bus travel to OEHS
9am - 9:30amDr. Sparlin and SD308 Welcome Back Convocation
9:30 - 11am
Screening of Paper Tigers
11am - 12pm
Reactions to the Movie - Expert Panel Q&A
12pm - 1pm
Buses return to Prairie Point
Dinner Hosted by H&S
5pm - 7pm
Preview Night for EC - 5th Grade
"Stressed Brains Can't Learn"
The documentary Paper Tigers is an intimate look into the lives of selected students attending an alternative school specializing in educating traumatized youth. The film examines the inspiring promise of Trauma Informed Communities – a movement showing great promise in healing youth struggling with the dark legacy of Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs).
Lincoln High School in Walla Walla, Wash. was the last stop for students who struggled to fit in and succeed in traditional school settings. When principal Jim Sporleder took over, he changed the focus of the school to become trauma-informed – to identify students who were fighting battles outside the walls of the school building and to help them find the resources they need to succeed, to become resilient. It worked. Test scores skyrocketed. Graduation rates increased tremendously. The expulsion rate plummeted. Jamie Redford made a documentary film about the school’s success. Paper Tigers is a testament to what the latest developmental science is showing: that just one caring adult can help break the cycle of adversity in a young person’s life.
Tuesday, August 15th
Breakfast treats in the Community Room
8am - 10am
All teachers will stay in the Community Room for our 1st faculty meeting
10am - 10:15am
All teachers will remain in the Community Room for Website Accessibility Update
Breakout Session (10:30am - 11:30am unless otherwise noted)
- General Ed, SPED, DL, EL, Bilingual Resource, Lit/Reading Specialist, LMS, Gifted Education will stay in the Community Room for a Science Updates from 10:15am - 11:15am.
- PE teachers will go to East View Room 53 for a Mastery Connect session with Amber Dembo
- Music teachers will go to East View Room 61 for Curriculum Committee work with Melissa McDowell
- Art teachers will go to East View Green Flex Room for Curriculum Committee work with Melissa McDowell
- Psychologists will go to TBD for an MTSS Update and Department Update with Allison Friedrich
- Social Workers will go to Grande Park for a PLC meeting hosted by Jay Peterson
11:30am - 1pm
Teacher and team planning time at Prairie Point