Third Grade Cardinal Chronicle
January 15, 2016
Mrs. Johnston's Class
Follow us on Twitter: @MrsTJohnston
Upcoming Dates to Remember
Jan 18th- no school
Feb 1-19th- Pennies for Patients
Feb 5th- 1/2 Day for Students
Feb 5th- Family STEAM Night
Feb 15- No School
Feb 16- Flex Day
ISTEP applied skills- Beginning of March
IREAD- Mid March
ISTEP multiple choice- April
Next Week's Special Area Classes
- Monday- No School
- Tuesday- Day 4- Art
- Wednesday- Day 5- PE
- Thursday- Day 6 Music
- Friday- Day 1- Art
What's Happening in Mrs. Johnston's Class
- We will be comparing and contrasting two articles or books.
- We will be working on test taking skills...what good reader's do ALL the time.
- We will continue small reading groups.
- Students will continue to learn about strategies when reading independently.
- We will continue our daily 5 activities where we will read, write, and do word work.
- This week we will continue to determine the value of a collections of bills and coins. This is a skill easily practiced at home with real coins! :)
- We will compare amounts of collections of coins and bills.
- We will work on making change.
- We will have a study guide on Thursday and a test over money on Friday.
- We will continue with math workshop where the students practice math alone, with partners, and in groups while I get to know the students better as mathematicians.
- We will continue to solve real world problems using many different strategies that we have learned through exploration and through watching others.
- This week we wrote letters to Mrs. Curran trying to persuade her that we need a new piece of equipment for our playground...we had everything from soccer goals to trampolines. Ask your child what they asked for!
- We will continue writing opinion and persuasive pieces.
- We will also be doing some on demand writing- what do you do when someone gives you a topic to write about?
- We will continue to write about topics of our choice.
This week we began learning about sound and light. We brainstormed what we already know and did some reading in books from the library. Next week we will begin to do some activities to give us that hands-on connection with both sound and light.