Grading Smarter Not Harder
Assessment Strategies that Motivate Kids and Help Them Learn
This full day event has a focus on improving grading and assessment practices with Myron Dueck, the author of ASCD best selling book, Grading Smarter, Not Harder. This one-day workshop will focus on the following topics:
- The purpose of grading and assessment, and how it relates to instruction.
- The value of clear learning targets and rubrics in the instructional process.
- The role of re-dos and retakes in schools and how this process fits within secondary school systems.
- Student self-reporting and the power of student ownership and engagement in assessment.
- Creating assessments that have meaning to the instructional process.
- The role of homework and how it fits within grading practices.
Building an Assessment Plan
Throughout the course of the day, participants will be actively engaged in collaborative discussions around the question, “where are we going” with these critical components in the assessment and grading process. Through exploration of these critical components, Myron will provide a clear and practical picture for what it means to grade smarter, not harder in our schools. Participants will receive materials that will help guide them in this process and will walk away with several steps on how to practically incorporate these concepts back in their schools or districts. The expressed goal of this session is to equip participants with both the mindset and the tools to help ensure success for ALL learners.
About Myron Dueck
As a teaching and administrative leader, Myron has been a part of district work groups and school assessment committees that have further broadened his access to innovative steps taken by others. Through speaking of his experiences and showing a variety of student-friendly assessment procedures, Myron has visited many school districts and conferences across North America and Europe. Myron has twice been published in EL Magazine. His best-selling book, Grading Smarter, Not Harder – Assessment Strategies that Motivate Kids and Help Them Learn was released by ASCD in July 2014.